#1 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

Posted Image

You haven't lived until you've sped down the highway blasting "Last Train To Satansville."
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#2 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

Seriously. I was driving with my friends on a nice night with the windows down blasting this, and it was perfect. "Last Train to Satansville," "Blowin' Cool," "Harry & Maggie" (their most underrated song), "Duel," "A Change is Gonna Come" and especially of course "Never Lose That Feeling / Never Learn"--all fucking brilliant stuff. These guys really found the perfect midpoint between shoegaze and grunge, and it makes you wonder why more people didn't follow their lead.

Raise and the Son of Mustang Ford ("Kill the Superheroes"!!) and Never Lose That Feeling EPs are cool too.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#3 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

A certain 40th President of the United States has been telling me to listen to this for years. Someone please y'all send the thing.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

If Paves doesn't do it first, I'll do it when I get home today. Especially since you're missing a #7 slot on your '85 - '94 albums list. This might be just the album to fill it, y'know.

#5 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

yes, please do. you're always saying bill that "I've listened to the wrong swervedriver or whatever" but yeah, now? let's see what you got. yeah, fuck you.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

Much appreciated, Bill!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image

You haven't lived until you've sped down the highway blasting "Last Train To Satansville."

Yeah, I agree. Great album.

Swervedriver has a special place in my heart, since their show was the only one I've ever passed out at.
(long story!)

If nobody else gets to it, I'll post it tonight.

#8 emgee

emgee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:21 PM

I actually prefer 'Raise' to 'Mezcal Head', but I know I'm in the minority. Both are among my all time favorites though

#9 ash

ash

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

emgee - your avatar is almost as good as mezcal head.

#10 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:09 PM

Album's fine. Great opening track, then I kind of lose interest.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#11 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:41 PM

opener isn't one of my favorites at all

#12 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

"For Seeking Heat" is awesome (I for one enjoy the wacky Drive Like Jehu-ish riffing), as is the rest of the album. "MM Abduction" makes me bang my head a lot.

And, yeah, Sask, Sickpup is right. You do need to hear this. I remember searching for a review of it on PopMatters and being pleasantly surprised when I knew exactly who the writer was from possessing only limited knowledge of his real name (hint: part of it is almost the same as mine.) I'll upload this. Sure. It's in the spirit of the '85-'94 polls. Album's out of print anyway. Glad I found a copy on Half.com for six bucks. Normally I'd make y'all folks do the same. But I'm feeling nice today.

"Last Train To Satansville" sounds like "Juicebox." Also, the first three seconds of vocals on "Girl On A Motorbike" sound exactly like R.E.M.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

#13 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:18 PM

The worst part of the recent Swervedriver comp is that the chop the endings off both "Last Train" and "Never Lose"--both songs are great regardless, but it's the winding outros that makes 'em classics.

#14 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:27 PM

Truth. Definitely a band who was able to justify making a bunch of songs that stretch out past the five minute mark. And not a minute wasted. I used to hate "Duress," but now it's awesome. Excellent.
Posted Image

#15 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

"Duress" is great, but the vocals are totally pointless. Should've kept it instrumental and cool. "You Find it Everywhere" is the only completely non-great song on this album, but it's a necessary winddwon before the atom bomb closer.

#16 emgee

emgee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

Truth. Definitely a band who was able to justify making a bunch of songs that stretch out past the five minute mark. And not a minute wasted. I used to hate "Duress," but now it's awesome. Excellent.

WAAAA WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
love that song

#17 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:34 PM

What the hell is that saxophone doing in "Never Learn"? It's like "shoejazz" or something. Also, "Blowin' Cool" bassline intro thing = KILLER
Posted Image

#18 rudayo

rudayo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

The worst part of the recent Swervedriver comp is that the chop the endings off both "Last Train" and "Never Lose"--both songs are great regardless, but it's the winding outros that makes 'em classics.

Yeah, but the demo to "Son of Mustang Ford" is time well spent.

#19 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:15 PM

I just realized this thread title is a double pun. Nicely done Paves.

#20 Sickpup

Sickpup

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

this thread makes me shed tears of joy. RR's #2 favorite album of all time. edit: i have no doubt sask will LOVE this album.