3833 replies to this topic

#2161 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

I knew the premise, couldn't remember the name. Return To Me is some David Duchovny movie, isn't it?
"The public are collectively fucking retarded." - tylerdurden74 "The world is filled with people who are no longer needed - and who try to make slaves of all of us - and they have their music and we have ours - theirs, the wasted songs of a superstitious nightmare - and without their musical and ideological miscarriages to compare our song of freedom to, we'd not have any opposite to compare music with - and like the drifting wind, hitting against no obstacle, we'd never know it's speed, it's power..." Woody Guthrie

#2162 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

yeah, Minnie Driver too I believe
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#2163 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:35 AM

Question #3 for Slackmo:

Partially due to licensing issues, the title song of this 1993 movie was not included in the film, but there is a scene in school where Slater discusses John Bonham's drum solos with one of his friends, saying "you couldn't handle that shit on strong acid!"

Dazed and Confused?
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#2164 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:37 AM

correct

Question #4 for Music Saves:

Following in the footsteps of Pretty in Pink, what 1998 teen comedy takes its name from an underappreciated indie rock track, in this case a single from the 1987 album Pleased to Meet Me?

#2165 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

i have a funny (incorrect) response to this Q
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#2166 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:38 AM

Can't Hardly Wait
"The public are collectively fucking retarded." - tylerdurden74 "The world is filled with people who are no longer needed - and who try to make slaves of all of us - and they have their music and we have ours - theirs, the wasted songs of a superstitious nightmare - and without their musical and ideological miscarriages to compare our song of freedom to, we'd not have any opposite to compare music with - and like the drifting wind, hitting against no obstacle, we'd never know it's speed, it's power..." Woody Guthrie

#2167 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

Nice job, MS.

#2168 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:40 AM

Me + Replacements=UNSTOPPABLE! :lol:

#2169 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

Me + Replacements=UNSTOPPABLE! :lol:

Note to Self: If category "Replacements" comes up, do not challenge MS
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#2170 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:42 AM

correct Question #5 to Slackmo. He can win with a correct answer. What 1989 drama / thriller was not only named after a doo-wop hit from 30 years earlier, but includes it as a key plot point in the movie, serving as the killer's musical trademark?

#2171 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

correct

Question #5 to Slackmo. He can win with a correct answer.

What 1989 drama / thriller was not only named after a doo-wop hit from 30 years earlier, but includes it as a key plot point in the movie, serving as the killer's musical trademark?

Sea of Love?

#2172 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:43 AM

Shit, I picked the wrong category earlier. I've known all of these. Fuck.

#2173 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:44 AM

Sea of Love is correct.

Slackmo wins, 3-1, and after the day's rocky start, becomes our first player to advance to the 3rd round.

#2174 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Shit, I picked the wrong category earlier. I've known all of these. Fuck.

Happy 900th post :)

Posted Image

"

#2175 Music Saves

Music Saves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

OK, if Slackmo gets this, fair enough, good game, but if he's wrong, I have to Time Out for a minute and help the wife with groceries, or she'll kill me. :rolleyes: EDIT: GOOD GAME!!!

#2176 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

SLACK-MO! SLACK-MO! SLACK-MO!

Posted Image

Posted Image

"

#2177 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:45 AM

OK, so if Hero and Mad Clown are still with us, it's time to do LOST.

(note: I'm giving until the end of this match-up for someone to challenge BTS in classic SNL, otherwise the cat will be ceded to him)

#2178 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

GDB - i'm still here

Posted Image

"

#2179 Mad Clown

Mad Clown

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:46 AM

Definitely here. Hello, all. :)

#2180 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

OK, Question #1 for Mad Clown: What is the name of the underground-dwelling woman who briefly kidnaps Sayid, spears the Other known as "Henry," and generally shows up every now and then to try to freak people out? (either first or last name acceptable)