Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

OTM
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#262 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

#200.

Posted Image

Run-D.M.C. - Raising Hell

Year
: 1986

US Chart Position: #6 / #1 R&B

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: "Walk This Way" (#4 US, #8 UK), "You Be Illin'" (#29 / #12 R&B US), "It's Tricky" (#57 / #21 R&B, #16 UK), "My Adidas" (#5 R&B US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #4 (year), #28 (decade), #180 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #280

AMG Says: "By their third album, Run-D.M.C. were primed for a breakthrough into the mainstream, but nobody was prepared for a blockbuster on the level of Raising Hell. Run-D.M.C. and King of Rock had established the crew's fusion of hip-hop and hard rock, but that sound didn't blossom until Raising Hell, partially due to the presence of Rick Rubin as producer. Rubin loved metal and rap in equal measures and he knew how to play to the strengths of both, while slipping in commercial concessions that seemed sly even when they borrowed from songs as familiar as "My Sharona" (heard on "It's Tricky"). Along with longtime Run-D.M.C. producer Russell Simmons, Rubin blew down the doors of what hip-hop could do with Raising Hell because it reached beyond rap-rock and found all sorts of sounds outside of it. Sonically, there is simply more going on in this album than any previous rap record -- more hooks, more drum loops (courtesy of ace drum programmer Sam Sever), more scratching, more riffs, more of everything. Where other rap records, including Run-D.M.C.'s, were all about the rhythm, this is layered with sounds and ideas, giving the music a tangible flow. But the brilliance of this record is that even with this increased musical depth, it still rocks as hard as hell, and in a manner that brought in a new audience."

Ranked Highest By: Falling and Laughing (#10)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#263 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

#199.

Posted Image

Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed & the Way to Suck Eggs

Year
: 1992

US Chart Position: #27

UK Chart Position: #33

Charting Singles: "N.W.O." (#11 Modern Rock US), "Jesus Built My Hotrod" (#19 Modern Rock US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #17 (year), #172 (decade), #909 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Easily one of the most anticipated albums from that year, especially after Nine Inch Nails had helped bring industrial metal to the mainstream with the success of the overtly Ministry-worshipping Pretty Hate Machine, Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed & the Way to Suck Eggs represented the high point of Alain Jourgensen and Paul Barker's incarnation as loud-as-hell electro-thrashers. The pump had been primed the previous year with the fierce "Jesus Built My Hot Rod," featuring Gibby Haynes from Butthole Surfers on vocals ranting over a galloping molten explosion of beats and feedback. Presented in a slightly edited version here, it's still the high point of the album, while a reworked version of its B-side, "TV Song" (here called "TV II" and with Jourgensen on vocals instead of Chris Connelly), also makes for some good noise. Throughout, however, Ministry as a unit shows their facility for straightforward, brutal noise crossed with clinical, on-the-money arrangements, whether it's the collage of crowd-riot samples bubbling throughout "N.W.O." or the chantings of Christian praise on the title track. As a role model for any number of nu-metallers down the road, Psalm 69 is often terribly underrated, but where Ministry succeeds while so many failed easily has to do with sheer vitriol only slightly tempered by the overwhelming hugeness of the songs."

Ranked Highest By: Velocity (#7)

Amazon Link

#264 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

#198.

Posted Image

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands

Year
: 1987

US Chart Position: #161

UK Chart Position: #5

Charting Singles: "April Skies" (#8 UK), "Happy When it Rains" (#25 UK), "Darklands" (#33 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #20 (year), #165 (decade), #887 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Feeling no doubt burdened by the various claims of being the new Sex Pistols, and likely fed up with accusations that the walls of feedback were their own trick, the Reid brothers underwent a bit of a rethink with Darklands. The end result must have fallen squarely between two camps -- hardly eligible for sunny commercial airplay, not quite as flailing as the earliest efforts -- but, from a distance, this is an appealing, enjoyable record. Songs were often longer while the album itself was shorter than Psychocandy, walls of sound were often stripped away in favor of calmer classic rock twang and groove, while William Reid took the lead vocal at points, showing he had a slightly sweeter, wistful tone in comparison to his brother. However, the changes on Darklands can be overstated -- the basic formula at the heart of the band (inspired plagiarism of melodies and lyrics alike, plenty of reverb, etc.) stayed pretty much the same, even if the mixes were cleaned up [...] Darklands is no Psychocandy in the end -- nothing the band released later ever was -- but it's still a good listen."

Ranked Highest By: BobtheSquid (#19)

Amazon Link

#265 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

#198.

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands

[b]AMG Says
: "Feeling no doubt burdened by the various claims of being the new Sex Pistols,

Amazon Link

the new sex pistols? I don't get it. is it because they were so loud or something?

this album has 10 songs, 6 of which are good to great. the others are filler. I've listened to this one over and over again. it's a good album.

#266 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:59 PM

What a bizarre way to declare an album "good."
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

#267 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:10 PM

#199.
Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed & the Way to Suck Eggs

Year
: 1992

US Chart Position: #27

UK Chart Position: #33

Charting Singles: "N.W.O." (#11 Modern Rock US), "Jesus Built My Hotrod" (#19 Modern Rock US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #17 (year), #172 (decade), #909 (all-time)

Ranked Highest By: Velocity (#7)

Woohoo! 3 for 3.

#268 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

#197.

Posted Image

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Sleeps With Angels

Year
: 1994

US Chart Position: #9

UK Chart Position: #2

Charting Singles: "Change Your Mind" (#18 Mainstream Rock US)

Acclaimed Music Rankign: #25 (year), #175 (decade), #937 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Though it once again reunites him with Crazy Horse and includes such typical rock workouts as the lengthy "Change Your Mind" and the raucous "Piece of Crap," Sleeps With Angels is more musically varied than most of Neil Young's albums with his erstwhile backup group, ranging from piano-based ballads like the album opener, "My Heart," and closer, "A Dream That Can Last," which might have fit on After the Gold Rush, to the country-folk "Train of Love," which sounds like a leftover from Harvest Moon, and the hard-edged grunge of the title track. The Crazy Horse influence comes in the songs' structural simplicity and the unpolished playing. Though musically diverse, Sleeps With Angels is a song cycle in which Young repeats the same themes and images. To put it simply, the album is about death, presumably primarily the suicide of Nirvana's Kurt Cobain, which occurred while it was being recorded [...] The album thus has a tired, mournful feel that is both compelling and off-putting. Young had not investigated such forbidding territory since the days of Tonight's the Night and On the Beach, and Sleeps With Angels is on a par with those often harrowing works."

Ranked Highest By: BobtheSquid (#7)

Amazon Link

#269 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

^very good album, surprised to see it on here

#270 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

What a bizarre way to declare an album "good."

the singles on it are so good they transcend the mediocre tracks, I guess that's what I was trying to say.

#271 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

Re: Sleeps With Angels

Excellent record. Underrated, too. I definitely prefer it to Ragged Glory. It's just so dark and fuzzy and droney and reverby. Some of Neil's best songs, too. Maybe my third or fourth favorite Neil Young album, actually.
Posted Image

#272 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

Excellent record. Underrated, too. I definitely prefer it to Ragged Glory. It's just so dark and fuzzy and droney and reverby. Some of Neil's best songs, too. Maybe my third or fourth favorite Neil Young album, actually.

yeah I really like this one too. ragged glory is pretty good but peters out toward the end. Sleeps with Angels is strong throughout.

they play "change your mind" at the store where I work sometimes. but they edit out the solos at the end, cuz it's too in your face, I guess.

#273 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

#196.

Posted Image

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker

Year
: 1990

US Chart Position: #4

UK Chart Position: #36

Charting Singles: "Hard to Handle" (#26 / #1 Mainstream Rock US, #39 UK), "She Talks to Angels" (#30 / #1 Mainstream Rock US), "Jealous Again" (#75 / #5 Mainstream Rock US), "Seeing Things" (#2 Mainstream Rock US), "Twice as Hard" (#11 Mainstream Rock US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #33 (year), #367 (decade), #1940 (all-time)

AMG Says: "The Black Crowes' debut album, Shake Your Money Maker, may borrow heavily from the bluesy hard rock grooves of the Rolling Stones and Faces (plus a bit of classic soul), but the band gets away with it due to sharp songwriting and an ear for strong riffs and chorus melodies, not to mention the gritty, muscular rhythm guitar of Rich Robinson and brother Chris' appropriate vocal swagger. Unlike their later records, the Crowes don't really stretch out and jam that much on Money Maker, but that helps distill their virtues into a handful of memorable singles ("Jealous Again," "She Talks to Angels," a cover of Otis Redding's "Hard to Handle"), and most of the album tracks maintain an equally high standard. Shake Your Money Maker may not be stunningly original, but it doesn't need to be; it's the most concise demonstration of the fact that the Black Crowes are a great, classic rock & roll band."

Ranked Highest By: Northern Vooice (#7)

Amazon Link

#274 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

Re: Sleeps With Angels

My second favorite, behind On the Beach. The reason it's great is because it's the only Crazy Horse record that doesn't actually sound like a Crazy Horse record, aside from a couple tracks.

#275 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

Sleeps With Angels was a boring, sleepy-eyed hangover after the greatest party you ever attended (Ragged Glory).

My second favorite, behind On the Beach. The reason it's great is because it's the only Crazy Horse record that doesn't actually sound like a Crazy Horse record, aside from a couple tracks.

Why do people say this? " I like that record because it doesn't sound like them".

If you want to hear something that sounds different than Band A, listen to Band X.

Or, we could all just listen to Ryan Adams latest genre hopping effort and laugh together.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#276 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

#196.

Posted Image

[b]Ranked Highest By
: Northern Vooice (#7)

Hold it, someone likes a Black Crowes album MORE than Velocity?
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#277 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:47 PM

I feel extraordinarily ignorant while viewing this list. I don't recall if I've heard any of these albums, pretty much.
Posted Image

#278 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:45 AM

I'm surprised the highest Darklands vote was #19

I thought like, people loved that album
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#279 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:00 AM

#196.

Posted Image

[b]Ranked Highest By
: Northern Vooice (#7)

Hold it, someone likes a Black Crowes album MORE than Velocity?

This isn't their best one B)

#280 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:59 AM

I feel extraordinarily ignorant while viewing this list.

I don't recall if I've heard any of these albums, pretty much.

I'd just like to take a moment to applaud your avatar change.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson