1915 replies to this topic

#301 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

Man, I can't stand Tom Petty most of the time, but I'll be damned if "You Wreck Me" isn't phenomenal.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#302 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10085 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:10 PM

#199.

Ministry - Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed & the Way to Suck Eggs

Charting Singles: "N.W.O." (#11 Modern Rock US), "Jesus Built My Hotrod" (#19 Modern Rock US)

I might be wrong, but 'Just One Fix' didn't chart at all? I know that was a single.

That surprised me too, if it's true. It got pretty heavy play on mtv I know.

#196.

Posted Image

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker

[b]Ranked Highest By
: Northern Vooice (#7)

Hold it, someone likes a Black Crowes album MORE than Velocity?

This isn't their best one B)

Agreed. Which is your favorite? I have a hard time choosing between Southern Harmony... and Amorica.

A year ago I'd have said Southern Harmony, but now it's Amorica. Those songs are just so much more interesting, imo.

Man, I can't stand Tom Petty most of the time, but I'll be damned if "You Wreck Me" isn't phenomenal.

Yeah, that's in the handful of his songs that I like too.

#303 simulated stereo

simulated stereo

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

#191.

Posted Image

John Zorn - Naked City

Year
: 1989

US Chart Position: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #27 (year), #296 (decade), #1535 (all-time)

AMG Says: "The violent cover photo (which shows a man after he was shot dead) sets the stage for the rather passionate music on this John Zorn set. With guitarist Bill Frisell, keyboardist Wayne Horvitz, bassist Fred Frith, drummer Joey Baron, and guest vocalist Yamatsuka Eye making intense contributions, altoist Zorn performs his unpredictable originals, abstract versions of some movie themes (including "A Shot in the Dark," "I Want to Live," "Chinatown," and "The James Bond Theme"), plus Ornette Coleman's "Lonely Woman." The stimulating music rewards repeated listenings by more open-minded listeners."

Ranked Highest By: Animals & Men (#10)

Amazon Link

Sweet! Very happy to see this one in the top 200.
Posted Image

#304 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

#190.

Posted Image

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Wildflowers

Great record.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#305 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

#190.

Posted Image

Great record.

I can't stand this album. I like Tom Petty on the whole, but in college my next door neighbors used to blast this at unreasonable volumes, and it really made me bitter. I'll take the old school shit any day.

#306 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:47 PM

#190.

Posted Image

Great record.

I can't stand this album. I like Tom Petty on the whole, but in college my next door neighbors used to blast this at unreasonable volumes, and it really made me bitter. I'll take the old school shit any day.

you have my deepest sympathies. a few albums have been ruined for me by roommates or neighbors that played them excessively or at unreasonable volumes. i've taken back a few of them, but others still hold too many sour memories. wildflowers is great. i hope you find it in yourself to go back to it someday.

#307 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8948 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:48 AM

#191.

Posted Image

John Zorn - Naked City

I bought this when I was 15 and was so overwhelmed and terrified by it that I broke it into a hundred tiny shards and threw it out after one listen. I remember being profoundly disturbed by the pictures in the liner notes too.

In hindsight, that was probably a sign that this was the greatest album ever, but still, I've never gone back to revisit it.

When it came out I was 15 and misheard the lyrics as "erect me baby."

#308 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

Naked City is cool to listen to every like, year or so.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#309 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

John Zorn - Naked City[/size]

I bought this when I was 15 and was so overwhelmed and terrified by it that I broke it into a hundred tiny shards and threw it out after one listen. I remember being profoundly disturbed by the pictures in the liner notes too.

In hindsight, that was probably a sign that this was the greatest album ever, but still, I've never gone back to revisit it.

Wow.

Anyways, great album. I love how he follows up the string of brief Yamatsuka Eye grindcore tracks with "Chinatown." Brilliant change of mood.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#310 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

In my mind's eye
One little boy anger one little man
Funny how time flies

#189.

Posted Image

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair

Year
: 1985

US Chart Position: #1

UK Chart Position: #2

Charting Singles: "Shout" (#1 US, #4 UK), "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (#1 US, #2 UK), "Head Over Heels" (#3 US / #12 UK), "Mothers Talk" (#27 US, #14 UK), "I Believe" (#23 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #32 (year), #315 (decade), #1570 (all-time)

AMG Says: "If The Hurting was mental anguish, Songs From the Big Chair marks the progression towards emotional healing, a particularly bold sort of catharsis culled from Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith's shared attraction to primal scream therapy. The album also heralded a dramatic maturation in the band's music, away from the synth-pop brand with which it was (unjustly) seared following the debut, and towards a complex, enveloping pop sophistication. The songwriting of Orzabal, Smith, and keyboardist Ian Stanley took a huge leap forward, drawing on reserves of palpable emotion and lovely, protracted melodies that draw just as much on soul and R&B music as they do on immediate pop hooks. The album could almost be called pseudo-conceptual, as each song holds its place and each is integral to the overall tapestry, a single-minded resolve that is easy to overlook when an album is as commercially successful as Songs From the Big Chair [...] It is not only a commercial triumph, it is an artistic tour de force. And in the loping, percolating "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," Tears for Fears perfectly captured the zeitgeist of the mid-'80s while impossibly managing to also create a dreamy, timeless pop classic. Songs From the Big Chair is one of the finest statements of the decade."

Ranked Highest By: Tracy Jacks (#2)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#311 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:41 AM

I think we can blame Dan for that.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#312 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

I heard another voice this morning on the phone
But just the other day I thought you said you slept alone
And yes, I knew that laughter, okay now I see
You wouldn't even know him if it hadn't been for me

#188.

Posted Image

The Wedding Present - Seamonsters

Year
: 1991

UK Chart Position: #13

Charting Singles: "Dalliance" (#29 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #45 (year), #479 (decade), #2467 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Steve Albini's production gives Seamonsters a noisy, discordant feel in some spots, but David Gedge's suberb songwriting lies just under the surface. He manipulates his limited vocal range into a rich, wistful voice just about to crack. The Wedding Present work best on this album when Gedge's plaintive love songs explode into a distorted fury, as on "Dalliance," and "Suck.""

Ranked Highest By: Burzum (#8)

Amazon Link

#313 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

"Corduroy" charted at #25 in the Uk on the 3 Song EP Surprised in the amount of albums i've had since about 210 compared to the forty before.

#314 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

Great album.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#315 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:01 PM

And we're smiling when we're sleeping
And we're smiling when we're waking

#187.

Posted Image

Ride - Nowhere

Year
: 1990

UK Chart Position: #11

Charting Singles: "Dreams Burn Down" (Fall EP) (#34 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #18 (year), #219 (decade), #1134 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Nowhere seems to hold consensus as the second-best record of the shoegaze era, and with very good reason. All of the common words, phrases, and adjectives commonly used with the short-lived subgenre fit properly here, and they're all positive, every one of them. Whir, whoosh, haze, swirl, ad nauseum -- this record holds all of these elements at their most exciting and mastered. But in the end, great pop records necessitate quality songs, which Nowhere delivers throughout. Undeniably, it's Ride's zenith -- dense, tight, hypnotic. "Seagull" serves as a dynamic opener; after a couple seconds of light feedback, bassist Steve Queralt kicks in with a rubbery, elliptical line (reminiscent of a certain Beatles song), which is soon followed by Andy Bell and Mark Gardener's guitar twists and Loz Colbert's alternately gentle and punishing drumming."

Ranked Highest By: Animals and Men (#17)

sorta disgustingly low. Definitely should be at least in the top half.

#316 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:10 PM

I'd imagine that Loveless got at least 8 times as many points.

#317 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

#186.

Posted Image

Morphine - Cure for Pain

Year
: 1993

US Chart Position: #31 Heatseeker

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #489

AMG Says: "With their cult following growing, Morphine expanded their audience even further with their exceptional 1994 sophomore effort, Cure for Pain. Whereas their debut, Good, was intriguing yet not entirely consistent, Cure for Pain more than delivered. The songwriting was stronger and more succinct this time around, while new drummer Billy Conway made his recording debut with the trio (replacing Jerome Deupree). Like the debut, most of the material shifts between depressed and upbeat, with a few cacophonic rockers thrown in between. Such selections as "Buena," "I'm Free Now," "All Wrong," "Candy," "Thursday," "In Spite of Me" (one of the few tracks to contain six-string guitar), "Let's Take a Trip Together," "Sheila," and the title track are all certifiable Morphine classics. And again, Mark Sandman's two-string slide bass and Dana Colley's sax work help create impressive atmospherics throughout the album. Cure for Pain was unquestionably one of the best and most cutting-edge rock releases of the '90s."

Ranked Highest By: Dogear (#10)

Amazon Link

#318 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

album should be way higher

#319 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

Posted Image

imo
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#320 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

Love Morphine. Mark Sandman is missed...their last album was a big comeback.
Posted Image
Posted Image