#150.

Posted Image

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me

Year
: 1993

US Chart Position: #158

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #6 (year), #59 (decade), #344 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Dry was shockingly frank in its subject and sound, as PJ Harvey delivered post-feminist manifestos with a punkish force. PJ Harvey's second album, Rid of Me, finds the trio, and Harvey in particular, pushing themselves to extremes. This is partially due to producer Steve Albini, who gives the album a bloodless, abrasive edge with his exacting production; each dynamic is pushed to the limit, leaving absolutely no subtleties in the music. Harvey's songs, in decided contrast to Albini's approach, are filled with gray areas and uncertainties, and are considerably more personal than those on Dry. Furthermore, they are lyrically and melodically superior to the songs on the debut, but their merits are obscured by Albini's black-and-white production, which is polarizing. It may be the aural embodiment of the tortured lyrics, and therefore a supremely effective piece of performance art, but it also makes Rid of Me a difficult record to meet halfway. But anyone willing to accept its sonic extremities will find Rid of Me to be a record of unusual power and purpose, one with few peers in its unsettling emotional honesty."

Ranked Highest By: Citizen (#17)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#462 birdistheword

birdistheword

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2258 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

Charting Singles: Paul Westerberg's "Dyslexic Heart" (#4 Modern Rock US),]

Na, na, na-na, na, na-na, na-na-na!

(Am I the only who notices that the new Replacements tune sounds a bit too much like this one?)

Yeah, but I never liked the former's "na, na, na"'s, so I don't mind the latter too much.

#151.
Elvis Costello / The Costello Show - King of America

Great album, but I REALLY wish he dropped "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" and "Eisenhower Blues." They just KILL the momentum, especially the former, it just plain sucks. It's a long album so it's not like dropping those two would make an unreasonably short album.

#463 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

#149.

Posted Image

The Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulance

Year
: 1990

US Chart Position: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

AMG Says: "In a Priest Driven Ambulance ranks as the first truly brilliant Flaming Lips album; the first effort to feature guitarist Jonathan "Dingus" Donahue, it's a loose concept record that brings Wayne Coyne's long-standing obsessions with religion bubbling to the surface. The thematic glue creates a structural framework unlike anything found on previous albums, resulting in a newfound sense of cohesion and depth: songs like "Rainin' Babies" and "Five-Stop Mother Superior Rain" offer unforeseen levels of poignancy, while guitar freak-outs such as "Unconsciously Screamin'" and "Mountain Side" slash and burn with remarkable potency. For the Lips, the future begins here."

Ranked Highest By: Pavement Ist Rad (#4)

Amazon Link

#464 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:43 PM

What kind of asshole tries to deny "Sad But True" or "Wherever I May Roam"?

Assholes who like more than one riff in a 5 or 6 minute song. I'm alright with a couple black album tracks, but those two are plodding crap.

Course they have more than one riff, you weirdo.

Guess you've not been introduced to the likes of Sunn(o))) and Khanate just yet...

Posted Image

#465 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

#148.

Posted Image

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

Year
: 1992

US Chart Position: #54

UK Chart Position: #14

Charting Singles: "Silent All These Years" (#65 / #27 Modern Rock US, #26 UK), "Crucify" (#22 Modern Rock US, #15 UK), "Winter" (#25 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #8 (year), #77 (decade), #430 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #223

AMG Says: "With her haunting solo debut Little Earthquakes, Tori Amos carved the template for the female singer/songwriter movement of the '90s. Amos' delicate, prog rock piano work and confessional, poetically quirky lyrics invited close emotional connection, giving her a fanatical cult following and setting the stage for the Lilith Fair legions. But Little Earthquakes is no mere style-setter or feminine stereotype -- its intimacy is uncompromising, intense, and often far from comforting [...] Though her subsequent albums were often very strong, Amos would never bare her soul quite so directly (or comprehensibly) as she did here, nor with such consistently focused results. Little Earthquakes is the most accessible work in Amos' catalog, and it's also the most influential and rewarding."

Ranked Highest By: The Luscious Phil (#4)

Amazon Link

#466 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

it did, but AMG doesn't list it as a charting single from the album (probably because it also appeared on Dirt--maybe first? I dunno which came out before the other)

I seem to recall the "Singles" soundtrack preceded Dirt, but I could be wrong.

I do remember the 'Would?' video had clips from the film in it.
<p>
...Found it!
<p>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/HOuUmaj4KoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Posted Image

#467 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

#147.

Posted Image

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Sessions

Year
: 1988

US Chart Position: #26

Charting Singles: "Sweet Jane" (#5 Modern Rock US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #15 (year), #161 (decade), #865 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Who says you can't make a great record in one day -- or night, as the case may be? The Trinity Session was recorded in one night using one microphone, a DAT recorder, and the wonderful acoustics of the Holy Trinity in Toronto [...] along with Low, the Cowboy Junkies were the only band at the time capable of playing slower than Neil Young and Crazy Horse -- and without the ear-threatening volume. The Timmins family -- Margo, guitarist and songwriter Michael, drummer Peter, and backing vocalist and guitarist John -- along with bassist Alan Anton and a few pals playing pedal steel, accordion, and harmonica, paced everything to crawl. That said, it works in that every song has its own texture, slowly and deliberately unfolding from blues and country and drones [...] For most, this was the Cowboy Junkies' debut -- Whites Off Earth Now!! was re-released in the States a few years later -- and it established them firmly in the forefront of the "alternative" scene with radio and MTV. As an album, it's still remarkable at how timeless it sounds, and its beauty is -- in stark contrast to its presentation -- voluminous and rich, perhaps even eternal."

Ranked Highest By: Vurt (#14)

Amazon Link

#468 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

#153.

Posted Image

Peter Gabriel - Us

Year
: 1986

The year for this should be 1992.

#469 Citizen

Citizen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:05 PM

Charting Singles: Smashing Pumpkins' "Drown" (#24 Modern Rock US)

i thought it was said in the singles thread that this wasn't, in fact, a single. ah, this is so good. oh well. that singles list was tough enough anyway.

The fact that it made one of Billboard's auxiliary charts doesn't mean it was a single, although I don't know if "Drown" was or wasn't. I think much of the Modern Rock chart and its brethren were based mostly on airplay.

In fact, as the '90s wore on, more and more songs made the Hot 100 singles chart (e.g. Len's "Steal My Sunshine," I believe) without an official single release -- the labels would just say, "OK, here's the track we're pushing at radio," and that was the track Billboard tabulated. So in many cases, singles were no longer actually singles. That, along with emerging alternative delivery systems like downloads, should make the '95-'04 survey nice and chaotic.
The only performance that makes it -- that really makes it, that makes it all the way -- is the one that achieves madness.

#470 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:07 PM

#146.

Posted Image

Bark Psychosis - Hex

Year
: 1994

US Chart Position: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

AMG Says: "A masterpiece of unrivalled beauty and complexity, Bark Psychosis' Hex channels the experimentation of the group's prior singles into a more controlled setting; a series of atmospheric set pieces, the songs find a common ground between accepted musical formulas and avant innovation -- at first glance, tracks like "Big Shot" and "Eyes & Smiles" appear tightly structured, yet they avoid the dynamics of conventional songcraft like choruses and solos with remarkable dexterity. Similarly, both "The Loom" and "Fingerspit" are too melodic and finely honed to pass as mere ambient soundscapes, leaving the record best ascribed to a force not unlike alchemy -- Hex begins with base musical materials, but transforms them into something mysterious, haunting, and breathtakingly visionary."

Ranked Highest By: Pray4Mojo (#11)

Amazon Link

#471 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

There was a promo "Drown" single sent to radio that included a much shorter radio edit.

#472 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:20 PM

#145.

Posted Image

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Year
: 1989

US Chart Position: #75

Charting Singles: "Sin" (#10 Dance US, #35 UK), "Down In It" (#16 Modern Rock US), "Head Like a Hole" (#17 Dance US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #9 (year), #81 (decade), #499 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Virtually ignored upon its 1989 release, Pretty Hate Machine gradually became a word-of-mouth cult favorite; despite frequent critical bashings, its stature and historical importance only grew in hindsight. In addition to its stealthy rise to prominence, part of the album's legend was that budding auteur Trent Reznor took advantage of his low-level job at a Cleveland studio to begin recording it. Reznor had a background in synth-pop, and the vast majority of Pretty Hate Machine was electronic. Synths voiced all the main riffs, driven by pounding drum machines; distorted guitars were an important textural element, but not the primary focus [...] His lyrics were filled with betrayal, whether by lovers, society, or God; it was essentially the sound of childhood illusions shattering, and Reznor was not taking it lying down. Plus, the absolute dichotomies in his world -- there was either purity and perfection, or depravity and worthlessness -- made for smashing melodrama. Perhaps the greatest achievement of Pretty Hate Machine was that it brought emotional extravagance to a genre whose main theme had nearly always been dehumanization."

Ranked Highest By: Dogear (#25)

Amazon Link

#473 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:23 PM

[b]#149. The Flaming Lips - In a Priest Driven Ambulance

And Dero's Dream pops up for the first time. Stay tuned.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#474 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hit to Death in the Future Head was #202

#475 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

is it true that SFTBC already placed andrew?
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#476 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6367 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

#145.
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

[b]Ranked Highest By
: Dogear (#25)

What, you're all Downward Spiral lovers?

#477 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

yep. That album is kinda not good.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#478 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

is it true that SFTBC already placed andrew?

#479 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

weak sauce.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#480 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

#144.

Posted Image

Prince - Parade

Year
: 1986

US Chart Position: #3 / #2 R&B

UK Chart Position: #4

Charting Singles: "Kiss" (#1 US, #6 UK), "Mountains" (#23 / #2 Dance US), "Anotherloverholeinyohead" (#63 / #10 Dance US, #36 UK), "Girls and Boys" (#11 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #11 (year), #107 (decade), #646 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Undaunted by the criticism Around the World in a Day received, Prince continued to pursue his psychedelic inclinations on Parade, which also functioned as the soundtrack to his second film, Under the Cherry Moon. Originally conceived as a double album, Parade has the sprawling feel of a double record, even if it clocks in around 45 minutes. Prince & the Revolution shift musical moods and textures from song to song -- witness how the fluttering psychedelia of "Christopher Tracy's Parade" gives way to the spare, jazzy funk of "New Position," which morphs into the druggy "I Wonder U" -- and they're determined not to play it safe, even on the hard funk of "Girls and Boys" and "Mountains," as well as the stunning "Kiss," which hits hard with just a dry guitar, keyboard, drum machine, and layered vocals. All of the group's musical adventures, even the cabaret-pop of "Venus de Milo" and "Do U Lie?" do nothing to undercut the melodicism of the record, and the amount of ground they cover in 12 songs is truly remarkable. Even with all of its attributes, Parade is a little off-balance, stopping too quickly to give the haunting closer, "Sometimes It Snows in April," the resonance it needs. For some tastes, it may also be a bit too lyrically cryptic, but Prince's weird religious and sexual metaphors develop into a motif that actually gives the album weight. If it had been expanded to a double album, Parade would have equaled the subsequent Sign 'o' the Times, but as it stands, it's an astonishingly rewarding near-miss."

Ranked Highest By: Throughsilver (#4)

Amazon Link