You're the reason for my misery

#113.

Posted Image

Green Day - Dookie

Year
: 1994

US Chart Position: #2

UK Chart Position: #13

Charting Singles: "Basket Case" (#1 Modern Rock US, #7 UK), "Longview" (#1 Modern Rock US, #30 UK), "When I Come Around" (#1 Modern Rock US, #27 UK), "She" (#5 Modern Rock US), "Welcome to Paradise" (#7 Modern Rock US, #20 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #15 (year), #70 (decade), #395 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Green Day couldn't have had a blockbuster without Nirvana, but Dookie wound up being nearly as revolutionary as Nevermind, sending a wave of imitators up the charts and setting the tone for the mainstream rock of the mid-'90s. Like Nevermind, this was accidental success, the sound of a promising underground group suddenly hitting its stride just as they got their first professional, big-budget, big-label production. Really, that's where the similarities end, since if Nirvana were indebted to the weirdness of indie rock, Green Day were straight-ahead punk revivalists through and through. They were products of the underground pop scene kept alive by such protagonists as All, yet what they really loved was the original punk, particularly such British punkers as the Jam and Buzzcocks. On their first couple records, they showed promise, but with Dookie, they delivered a record that found Billie Joe Armstrong bursting into full flower as a songwriter, spitting out melodic ravers that could have comfortable sat alongside Singles Going Steady, but infused with an ironic self-loathing popularized by Nirvana, whose clean sound on Nevermind is also emulated here. Where Nirvana had weight, Green Day are deliberately adolescent here, treating nearly everything as joke and having as much fun as snotty punkers should. They demonstrate a bit of depth with "When I Come Around," but that just varies the pace slightly, since the key to this is their flippant, infectious attitude something they maintain throughout the record, making Dookie a stellar piece of modern punk that many tried to emulate but nobody bettered."

Ranked Highest By: Yancy (#2)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#662 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:43 PM

Back in the day our parents used to take care of us
Look at them now
They even fuckin' scared of us

#112.

Posted Image

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

Year
: 1994

US Chart Position: #15

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: "One More Chance" (#2 / #1 Rap US / #34 UK), "Big Poppa" / "Warning" (#6 / #1 Rap US), "Juicy" / "Unbelievable" (#27 / #1 Dance US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #17 (year), #89 (decade), #489 (all-time)

AMG Says: "The album that reinvented East Coast rap for the gangsta age, Ready to Die made the Notorious B.I.G. a star, and vaulted Sean "Puffy" Combs' Bad Boy label into the spotlight as well. Today it's recognized as one of the greatest hardcore rap albums ever recorded, and that's mostly due to Biggie's skill as a storyteller. His raps are easy to understand, but his skills are hardly lacking he has a loose, easy flow and a talent for piling multiple rhymes on top of one another in quick succession. He's blessed with a flair for the dramatic, and slips in and out of different contradictory characters with ease. Yet, no matter how much he heightens things for effect, it's always easy to see elements of Biggie in his narrators and of his own experience in the details; everything is firmly rooted in reality, but plays like scenes from a movie [...] Producer Easy Mo Bee's deliberate beats do get a little samey, but it hardly matters: this is Biggie's show, and by the time "Suicidal Thoughts" closes the album on a heartbreaking note, it's clear why he was so revered even prior to his death. "

Ranked Highest By: Nic (#15)

Amazon Link Not Available

#663 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:47 PM

overfuckingrated
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#664 Jimmy TKB

Jimmy TKB

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

never heard it

#665 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:37 PM

#113.

Green Day - Dookie

Not even top 100? What a fucking joke. This is BULL. SHIT. And here I foolishly assumed it would cruise into the top 20, if not top 10. I officially no longer care about the countdown. Assholes.

#666 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:38 PM

#113.

Green Day - Dookie

Not even top 100? What a fucking joke. This is BULL. SHIT. Here I foolishly assumed it would cruise into the top 20, if not top 10. I officially no longer care about the countdown. Assholes.

Yeah, this was surprisingly low, though it was a pleasant surprise for me.

#667 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

#113.

Green Day - Dookie

Not even top 100? What a fucking joke. This is BULL. SHIT. And here I foolishly assumed it would cruise into the top 20, if not top 10. I officially no longer care about the countdown. Assholes.

Do you have the time to listen to me whine?

Err, no. I don't.

(melodramatic fool.)
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#668 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Someone hand me a tissue.

#669 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Most aptly titled album in this list.

#670 Jimmy TKB

Jimmy TKB

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

Dookie is AT LEAST top 50 material. Sad really.

#671 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

#113.

Green Day - Dookie

Pretty obvious backlash target. Too popular with the unwashed masses.

#672 Jimmy TKB

Jimmy TKB

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

fuckin' hipsters

#673 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

overfuckingrated

Top 5 hip-hop album of all time.

#674 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

I was sorta surprised it made the list at all, actually. You'd have to be pretty fucking dense to assume Dookie was gonna make the top 20.

#675 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:05 PM

You'd have to be pretty fucking dense to assume Dookie was gonna make the top 20.

Well, I wasn't exactly tabulating the votes. I just assumed people had some semblance of taste. I QUIT LIFE.

#676 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:13 PM

I was sorta surprised it made the list at all, actually. You'd have to be pretty fucking dense to assume Dookie was gonna make the top 20.

I actually thought that the people who were in their early teens when Dookie came out would hold in almost as high esteem as they do the first Weezer album.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#677 Citizen

Citizen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

Are people embarrassed that they dug Dookie when they were 11? I didn't own it at the time, but picked it up in the dollar bin years later, and it ain't bad. Not list-worthy, but not bad.
The only performance that makes it -- that really makes it, that makes it all the way -- is the one that achieves madness.

#678 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11511 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

it's a great, classic album, but I don't think it deserves to be much (if any) higher than it is. It's far from a perfect album (which, imo, the first Weezer album exactly is). Green Day was always more of a singles band anyway, Dookie just happens to have the most (and best) of their singles.

Or, if you don't buy that, you could just blame Dan for not voting.

Well, I wasn't exactly tabulating the votes. I just assumed people had some semblance of taste. I QUIT LIFE.

in other news, Gil Mantera and The Ark likely not to top SOMB '06 Year-End Poll

#679 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:14 PM

blah blah blah

yeah, dookie would've been in my top 20. I was expect a #45 placing for it or so. Kinda horseshit.

in other news, Gil Mantera likely not to top SOMB '06 Year-End Poll

Not if I have anything to say about this.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#680 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:15 PM

blah blah blah

yeah, dookie would've been in my top 20. I was expect a #45 placing for it or so. Kinda horseshit.

in other news, Gil Mantera likely not to top SOMB '06 Year-End Poll

Not if I have anything to say about this.

I remember looking forward to reading your posts.