1915 replies to this topic

#1761 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

funny that the somb's taste is so homogeneous (might be the wrong word - it's as if this board has it's own little canon) as we get more modern. Any records that fail to hit the somb's sensibilities directly tend to finish very low. Earlier polls were more varied and interesting.

(awaits raj's lengthy well-researched reply)

Do you honestly believe that this is what is happening, or are you just pissed off that Grant Lee Buffalo didn't make the list?
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#1762 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

You really should be a fan, because with the exceptions of ABBA and Hall & Oates, I think every band you love influences them in some way.

Probably, but something's just not right. Lots of little things... singer's nasal half-octave range ruins hooks, lame rapping, the grooves. Something about the grooves. They're the aural equivalent of watching a white guy dance. 311 think they're so damn fonkay, but those stilted rhythms make a Fishbone fan cringe. The poorly-integrated reggae thing makes me barf, too. If even one guy in that band doesn't own a well-worn copy of Legend, I'll wash your car and mow your lawn.

lol @ me knocking them for appropriating black music a la deej

Isn't that why they decided to try to sound like a Reggae band? I remember reading that on their first tour they only had 1 cassette to play the whole time & ended up getting hooked on the sound.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#1763 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:47 PM

Any records that fail to hit the somb's sensibilities directly tend to finish very low.

shouldn't that be the case?

I worded it poorly. In previous polls, it was hard to figure out if the voters would opt for say an underground classic like "The Velvet Underground and Nico", a jazzy masterpiece like "Astral Weeks", a pop smash like "Revolver" or a folk-rock classic like "Blood On the Tracks". Records by country artists cracked the top 250; there was even jazz on the list. Now if it's not some modern indieish rock record, it misses the poll entirely. I know there are exceptions, but I really think that the number of voters including each record in the top part of the poll is extremely high. In the past, the voting was more spread out - which is odd because I would have expected the opposite.

How many voters were there GDB? Is my instinct correct? Other than London Calling, which really was loved across the board, is it true that the top records tended to receive a higher percentage of total votes than in previous similar polls? maybe I'm grasping.

EDIT: maybe I'm looking for answers that aren't there. It's not just Grant Lee Buffalo, but a whole host of records I know others on this board like that finished in the second 250, behind many records that I've never even heard of (or at least never heard).
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#1764 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

Well, this is the era of "modern indieish records."
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#1765 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:50 PM

Without looking I bet most people who provided 100's for each of the three lists so far had the least amount in this poll. How many people honestly have an active dislike of a 35 year old album?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#1766 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

EDIT: maybe I'm looking for answers that aren't there. It's not just Grant Lee Buffalo, but a whole host of records I know others on this board like that finished in the second 250, behind many records that I've never even heard of (or at least never heard).

Your gripe simply seems to be that your tastes aren't aligned with the rest of the board's, and that you haven't heard some of the music that the rest of the board likes.

#1767 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:52 PM

Your gripe simply seems to be that your tastes aren't aligned with the rest of the board's, and that you haven't heard some of the music that the rest of the board likes.

could be true.
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#1768 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:53 PM

could be true.

And that should come as no surprise to someone who uses a picture of Patty Griffin as their avatar.

#1769 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

Exactly, I could have said the same about my list and the board's list for 1975-84.

#1770 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

Exactly, I could have said the same about my list and the board's list for 1975-84.

as you did. over and over again.

#1771 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

Don't think I did "over and over" and I'm sure I didn't turn up every few pages to say how uninteresting and boring I found the list in such a condescending manner.

#1772 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:05 PM

It looks like I found most of my top 50:

495 Basehead Play With Toys 111 2
490 Neil Young & Crazy Horse Unplugged 113 2
443 Public Enemy Yo Bum Rush the Show 135 3
432 Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy Hypocrisy is the Greatest Luxury 139 4
427 Pegboy Strong Reaction 141 2
411 Urban Dance Squad Mental Floss for the Globe 145 2
356 Concrete Blonde Bloodletting 164 3
348 fIREHOSE Ragin', Full On 167 2
336 fIREHOSE Flyin' the Flannel 171 3
332 Jane's Addiction Jane's Addiction 173 2
312 Fishbone The Reality of My Surroundings 184 3
303 Fishbone Give a Monkey a Brain 197 3
290 Helmet Meantime 209 6
265 Jon Spencer Blues Explosion Orange 235 5
256 Morphine Good 245 4

#1773 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

Any records that fail to hit the somb's sensibilities directly tend to finish very low.

I worded it poorly. In previous polls, it was hard to figure out if the voters would opt for say an underground classic like "The Velvet Underground and Nico", a jazzy masterpiece like "Astral Weeks", a pop smash like "Revolver" or a folk-rock classic like "Blood On the Tracks". Records by country artists cracked the top 250; there was even jazz on the list. Now if it's not some modern indieish rock record, it misses the poll entirely. I know there are exceptions, but I really think that the number of voters including each record in the top part of the poll is extremely high. In the past, the voting was more spread out - which is odd because I would have expected the opposite.

How many voters were there GDB? Is my instinct correct? Other than London Calling, which really was loved across the board, is it true that the top records tended to receive a higher percentage of total votes than in previous similar polls?

maybe I'm grasping.

Unlike, say, a sprawling electro-funk album like Sign O the Times, a moody chamber-rock album like Automatic for the People, a attitude-heavy Britpop album like Parklife or a revolutionary rap album like It Takes a Nation. Uh-huh.

No, it's not true at all. In the last poll (which had 65 voters, as did this one), 5 albums breached 3k in votes, in this one only two did (as well as 16 there to 15 here breaching 2k, and 63 there to 54 here breaching 1k). In the poll before that, only 45 people voted so it's hard to compare #s, but I guarantee you if it had the same number of voters, the consensus albums would've been even greater. The exact opposite effect to what you assume is happening is what is actually happening, which makes much more sense.

Yes, grasping is exactly what you are doing, and no offense, but I really wish you'd stop. I'm sorry that your taste is so out of step with the average SOMBie for this period and that a lot of albums you love didn't make the list, but that's just the way it is. You can either accept that and continue to rep for the albums you love regardless whether other people are or not, or if that's not gonna do it for you, you can stop voting, but you need to stop trying ways to find fault in the voting system or the voters themselves for what essentially is all on you. Or, god forbid, you could actually try to seek out some of these albums you've never heard of and figure out why so many people prefer them to Grant Lee Buffalo.

You're a good guy, ElC, and I appreciate the effort and attention you've put into these polls, I really do. But you need to quit it with this shit.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#1774 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:07 PM

Good at #256 is a sad thing.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#1775 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

Oh my god. Automatic didn't win. Thank you so much. Thank you, I love you guys.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#1776 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

Oh my god. Automatic didn't win. Thank you so much.

Thank you, I love you guys.

yeah seriously. Good album but nowhere even close to the best of the period.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#1777 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

Good at #256 is a sad thing.

The astounding part is that Good > Cure For Pain.
(Good was my #3 or #4, I think).

I think it just chalks up to that a lot of people just haven't heard it, since C4P was their breakthrough.

#1778 Rocks And Blows

Rocks And Blows

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

I like the 'Nevermind' backlash, yet 'Doolittle' would have never sniffed the Top 10 if it weren't for Cobain name checking it. Oh yeah, I forgot, 'In Utero' is better because it's more raw. Thanks GDB, great job.

#1779 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

How many voters were there GDB? Is my instinct correct? Other than London Calling, which really was loved across the board, is it true that the top records tended to receive a higher percentage of total votes than in previous similar polls?

maybe I'm grasping.

Unlike, say, a sprawling electro-funk album like Sign O the Times, a moody chamber-rock album like Automatic for the People, a attitude-heavy Britpop album like Parklife or a revolutionary rap album like It Takes a Nation. Uh-huh.

No, it's not true at all. In the last poll (which had 65 voters, as did this one), 5 albums breached 3k in votes, in this one only two did (as well as 16 there to 15 here breaching 2k, and 63 there to 54 here breaching 1k). In the poll before that, only 45 people voted so it's hard to compare #s, but I guarantee you if it had the same number of voters, the consensus albums would've been even greater. The exact opposite effect to what you assume is happening is what is actually happening, which makes much more sense.

Yes, grasping is exactly what you are doing, and no offense, but I really wish you'd stop. I'm sorry that your taste is so out of step with the average SOMBie for this period and that a lot of albums you love didn't make the list, but that's just the way it is. You can either accept that and continue to rep for the albums you love regardless whether other people are or not, or if that's not gonna do it for you, you can stop voting, but you need to stop trying ways to find fault in the voting system or the voters themselves for what essentially is all on you. Or, god forbid, you could actually try to seek out some of these albums you've never heard of and figure out why so many people prefer them to Grant Lee Buffalo.

You're a good guy, ElC, and I appreciate the effort and attention you've put into these polls, I really do. But you need to quit it with this shit.

cool.

only reason I started with this road was to be sort of the opposite of all those folks who previously dissed other polls as "better at the bottom than the top", "anticlimactic", "singles will be more interesting" etc.

Other comments were honest reactions to the proceedings though. I don't think I went on this tangent until just now, but if I did, sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. As I said before, great work.

And for the record, if I complained about an album's placement, it certainly wasn't a record I hadn't heard. I usually try not to complain about poll results though .

#1780 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

500:
496 Matthew Sweet Altered Beast 111 2
491 Steve Earle Guitar Town 113 3
479 Tragically Hip Fully Completely 120 1 1
470 Lyle Lovett Joshua Judges Ruth 123 3
445 Lenny Kravitz Mama Said 134 3
378 U2 Rattle and Hum 158 4
361 Paul Westerberg 14 Songs 163 3
309 Robbie Robertson Robbie Robertson 190 3
297 Lyle Lovett Lyle Lovett 204 3
267 Brian Eno and John Cale Wrong Way Up 228 4
266 Neil Young & Crazy Horse Harvest Moon 234 3
261 Grant Lee Buffalo Mighty Joe Moon 241 3
231 Midnight Oil Diesel and Dust 269 8
186 Morphine Cure for Pain 368 7
170 Los Lobos Kiko 409 6 1
153 Peter Gabriel Us 465 9
150 PJ Harvey Rid of Me 475 12
147 Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions 487 10
137 Husker Du Warehouse: Songs and Stories 502 7
135 Sinead O'Connor I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got 519 9
132 Jayhawks Hollywood Town Hall 523 9 1
129 Tom Waits Bone Machine 529 8
127 World Party Goodbye Dumbo 532 9
119 Traveling Wilburys The Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 562 9
118 Counting Crows August and Everything After 564 10
111 Pearl Jam Vs. 583 8
108 Johnny Cash American Recordings 596 11
94 Pixies Bossanova 691 14
84 Portishead Dummy 735 15
80 Bruce Springsteen Tunnel of Love 760 12
69 Beck Mellow Gold 836 15
63 Depeche Mode Violator 870 13
62 Pearl Jam Ten 879 14
61 Nirvana MTV Unplugged in New York 884 14
58 Sugar Copper Blue 934 13
55 Talk Talk Spirit of Eden 982 12
53 Tom Waits Rain Dogs 1045 17 1
47 Matthew Sweet Girlfriend 1161 19
46 Jeff Buckley Grace 1165 16 2
44 Peter Gabriel So 1200 19
36 Cure Disintegration 1334 20
31 Afghan Whigs Gentlemen 1361 18 1
30 R.E.M. Document 1423 23
27 Oasis Definitely Maybe 1488 21
26 Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream 1602 23 1
20 Replacements Tim 1821 26 3
15 Nirvana In Utero 2058 30 2
14 Pixies Surfer Rosa 2058 29
13 U2 The Joshua Tree 2258 30 2
12 Smiths The Queen is Dead 2346 29 2
11 U2 Achtung Baby 2357 31 1
10 Sonic Youth Daydream Nation 2363 29 3
9 Public Enemy It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back 2366 29 2
7 Weezer Weezer (The Blue Album) 2482 31 2
5 My Bloody Valentine Loveless 2593 31 1
4 Pavement Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain 2714 34 1
3 Nirvana Nevermind 2722 36 2
2 R.E.M. Automatic for the People 3023 35 4
1 Pixies Doolittle 3245 42 1

I didn't particpate in this one becasue I really didn't think i owned enough music from this period to matter. Looking at the above albums in my collection, I'm somewhat surprised by the number of albums I have in my collection. Although I'm not crazy about many of these, I think I could have assembled a top 20 list of stuff I like. That said, this period really does hold the least interest for me of any 10 year stretch since 1950. Of those listed above, the only albums I really really like are:

361 Paul Westerberg 14 Songs
186 Morphine Cure for Pain
129 Tom Waits Bone Machine
108 Johnny Cash American Recordings
84 Portishead Dummy
80 Bruce Springsteen Tunnel of Love
69 Beck Mellow Gold
58 Sugar Copper Blue
53 Tom Waits Rain Dogs
27 Oasis Definitely Maybe
13 U2 The Joshua Tree
11 U2 Achtung Baby
and
5 My Bloody Valentine Loveless

An even bakers dozen. Looking forward to the next decade.