138 replies to this topic

#1 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

So, it has been stated in the past that GBV is not a terribly popular band among SOMBies. That's cool, but I just wanted to throw this out there as an introduction to folks who may have only heard one or two songs (or nothing at all). I'm still working on uploading Bee Thousand, which is a must-have, but y'all send the thing, sendspace, AND megaupload fucked with me here. So, I'm sending instead a mix in three parts (the first of which you'll find below, and for some reason, unlike Bee Thousand, it sent just fine... go figure). This may actually be a better introduction to the band, because it cuts out the filler (and one thing you must understand about GBV is that, no matter how much you love Bob Pollard, and I do love him, he's too prolific a songwriter for his own damn good sometimes).

Before you download and enjoy the music to your heart's content, a few key points/terms to help you comprehend what you are about to hear:

* I've listed the year of release with each album. You should be able to hear the difference between early GBV (1989-1995) and the later stuff (1996-present). While the early stuff is "classic," the late stuff isn't as bad as you may have heard.

* I've tried to include all of the live favorites (I hope there are at least a few of you who got to see GBV live at some point), but I also have added my own favorites as well. And since my taste is utterly perfect, that means you're hearing the best GBV songs ever!

* Airport 5 = collaboration between Bob Pollard and Tobin Sprout (ex-GBV, member of the band during the classic years up through 1996)

Enjoy, and let me know what you think! And just be warned, if you hate too much on Bob, I shall have to kick your ass... here's part 1 of 3.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZUOH6S7

#2 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

I really liked Bee Thousand. I'll grab this, thanks.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

So, it has been stated in the past that GBV is not a terribly popular band among SOMBies.

I wouldn't say completely unpopular.
I'm a big fan, and I know that Sidhartha, and bobandbob are as well.
Sid has posted lots of rarities on the board and B&B put together a great GBV compilation followed by a 2-disc Pollard solo collection.

#4 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

Yeah kind of a wtf statement, GBV gets talked about quite a bit around here.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

I enjoy both Bee Thousand and Alien Lanes very much. I've also heard some of their later songs, and those aren't too bad either. In fact, the best ones I've heard are from Do The Collapse. Does anybody like that album? I don't think so. I doubt I'll ever hear it ever. Good band.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#6 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

I really liked Bee Thousand.

I'll grab this, thanks.

Not a problem. And anyone who has Bee Thousand and who can get y'all send the thing to work, do you feel like sharing with the class?

#7 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

more like Great band.

Right guys.

do you feel like sharing with the class?

If no ones upped it by midnight I'll put it up.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

So, it has been stated in the past that GBV is not a terribly popular band among SOMBies.

I wouldn't say completely unpopular.
I'm a big fan, and I know that Sidhartha, and bobandbob are as well.
Sid has posted lots of rarities on the board and B&B put together a great GBV compilation followed by a 2-disc Pollard solo collection.

This is good news to me... and please note that I said "not a terribly popular band," which isn't the same as saying people hate on this board despise them or anything.

And Paves, I like Do the Collapse. Do you have it?

#9 b*derty

b*derty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4298 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:50 PM

gbv is my favorite, i know im new so my vote counts as a half, i wish i could upload stuff, but don't have the connection right now.

Posted Image

#10 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:52 PM

Here's Part 2 of the trilogy... a few things before we get started.

* Circus Devils = one of Bob's many side projects; Tim and Todd Tobias are the other two members (Tim was GBV's bassist for about 5 years; Todd has produced a lot of GBV-related activities)

* Lexo and the Leapers = another of Bob's side projects, with the Tasties as his backing band (and the song presented here, "Alone Stinking and Unafraid," is one of my favorite songs ever)

* Doug Gillard was the lead guitarist in GBV basically from Mag Earwhig! (1997) on; Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department is the most complete non-GBV project Bob has ever done

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B4QZQWU8

#11 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

If no ones upped it by midnight I'll put it up.

nm i cant find it on my computer. grr
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

gbv is my favorite, i know im new so my vote counts as a half, i wish i could upload stuff, but don't have the connection right now.

no, your vote is just as important because you're a true believer. Megaupload usually lasts for a while, so check it out when you can...

The final installment of the trilogy will come tomorrow on my day off from work...

#13 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

Nice work spreading the Pollard love. Count me in as a worshipper at the altar of Bob, I currently have over 900 GbV/Pollard/Fading Captain tunes on my computer.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#14 registered bitch

registered bitch

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

I love GBV. I listened to Alien Lanes the other day for the first time in ages and it rocked my world. I forgot just how great that album was. I've followed their whole career, but I tend to like that era the best. I gave up on keeping up with all of his side project though. So it'll be great hearing some of the highlights. Thanks

#15 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Bee Thousand is a masterpiece in many different ways. Even the obvious filler helps make it the great album it is, because it's all about the mood with some of that shit. Nothing's cooler than listening to a bunch of average guys crank out amazing songs in their laundry room or wherever they recorded.

"Game of Pricks" is one of the catchiest, most concise, and best songs of the 90's.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#16 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

Vivian LOVES GBV. Big time. Pretty comprehensively if not obsessively...

I love their "poppy" later stuff every bit as much as the records I'm supposed to like, like Bee Thousand. Yes, Paves, there is a Santa Claus (and yes, Paves, there ARE other people who love Do the Collapse and other sell outs, I ESPECIALLY love Isolation Drills!!!).
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#17 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

Half-Smiles of the Decomposed and Earthquake Glue were great. Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud" is easily one of their best songs.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#18 MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Half-Smiles of the Decomposed and Earthquake Glue were great. Everybody Thinks I'm a Raincloud" is easily one of their best songs.

Earthquake Glue is a little spotty to me but "Secret Star" and "Mix Up The Satellite" are fucking great.

GBV/Bob = indie rock Beatles for me.

#19 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4895 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

I was way late to the party, but I was lucky enough to see GBV three times (all of them at the Metro), including their final show. There is no band that I've seen, or will ever see, that does what they do in the live setting. I was actually crying when Bob belted out "Don't Stop Now," as the final song he'd ever perform under the Guided By Voices moniker on that New Years Eve. While I'm not amongst the anal Pollardites who are able to sing every word to every odd little ditty that Bob produced, I'm a big fan who loves every bit of what I know. I'm also a firm believer that Bob could have set the ingredients of Spaghetti-O's to one of his strange little tunes and made the Pope cry.

#20 Brentmeister General

Brentmeister General

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:39 AM

One of the best things Pollard has ever done, GBV or solo, is the new Keene brothers album, with Tommy Keene on gee-tar. Really clean sounding, but not over produced as some GBV fans have grumbled about since DTC