138 replies to this topic

#121 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:50 PM

Can't wait to hear what he has for us in 2009!

Why wait? The Crawling Distance was released a few weeks ago.

samples at http://robertpollard.net/music.html

Check out "Go For The Exit" off the last Boston Spaceships LP while you're there.

#122 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:52 PM

Can't wait to hear what he has for us in 2009!

Why wait? The Crawling Distance was released a few weeks ago.

samples at http://robertpollard.net/music.html

Check out "Go For The Exit" off the last Boston Spaceships LP while you're there.

Thanks for the reminder, Sid... I'd forgotten about Boston Spaceships. Based on this sample it sounds like another winner.

#123 jp1972

jp1972

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:04 PM

human amusements at hourly rates, their best of, is a terrific starting point for this band.

That's been my thought as well at times ... but I've tried to use that very disc to turn people on to GBV (people I thought would definitely get it), without success. So far, anyway. But I ain't giving up ...

And yeah, the Boston Spaceships album from last year was a fine listen. I'm really looking forward to the next one coming in February.

#124 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:43 PM

avatar changed for gbv's awesomeness. i've used this one before at some point in time i believe. i like when the board all gets behind an avatar craze and hope we can get one started up through this thread. nothing will beat the 90s NBA players stretch though, that was awesome.

#125 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

That's an idea I can get behind... back to the avatar of the Turd Ferguson era!

#126 Mr.Nobody

Mr.Nobody

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

I get lost in all the projects that Pollard has going on.Does anyone know a good place to start? Thanks.

#127 twicks

twicks

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

I get lost in all the projects that Pollard has going on.Does anyone know a good place to start? Thanks.

That's always been my hangup with Pollard and GBV. I love a lot of it, but I've never understood the logic of putting out so much material that even your fans can't keep it all straight...

But again, it seems to work for him and keep him happy. Which is all that matters.

#128 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:48 AM

robertpollard.net usually has a big batch of song samples up. That's a good spot. Or are you looking for a particular CD that is a good jumping off point? Here are some of my favorite side project/solo releases... off the top of my head (note that I prefer Classic Rocker Bob to Sound Noodler Bob):

"Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department" - Bob with Doug Gillard
"Robert Pollard is off to Business" - Bob solo
"Coast to Coast Carpet of Love" - Bob solo
The first Airport 5 disc... can't remember the title - Bob and Tobin Sprout
"Choreographed Man o' War" - Bob with Greg Demos, Jim MacPherson

EDIT: Boston Spaceships seems to be pretty cool, too, but I haven't heard that album (and there's a new one coming out under that name in late feb.)

#129 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

I'll join in the avatar fun. I've finally been catching up on Pollard's 2008 non-Pollard named releases, loving the Boston Submarines album. I need to check out The Crawling Distance soon.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#130 twicks

twicks

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:48 PM

It's too bad Bob couldn't wait until disbanding GBV to put out Human Amusements. It bothers me that Half Smiles isn't represented.

He must have decided he was done with the name after recording that one.

#131 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

robertpollard.net usually has a big batch of song samples up. That's a good spot. Or are you looking for a particular CD that is a good jumping off point? Here are some of my favorite side project/solo releases... off the top of my head (note that I prefer Classic Rocker Bob to Sound Noodler Bob):

"Speak Kindly of Your Volunteer Fire Department" - Bob with Doug Gillard
"Robert Pollard is off to Business" - Bob solo
"Coast to Coast Carpet of Love" - Bob solo
The first Airport 5 disc... can't remember the title - Bob and Tobin Sprout
"Choreographed Man o' War" - Bob with Greg Demos, Jim MacPherson

EDIT: Boston Spaceships seems to be pretty cool, too, but I haven't heard that album (and there's a new one coming out under that name in late feb.)

Second the Speak Kindly album he did with Gillard - an excellent starting point. I remember Pollard saying once in an interview that he later regretted not making that album with GBV proper.
Another good one is the one-off Calling Zero that he recorded with Mac McCaughan (Superchunk) as Go Back Snowball.

I've been really enjoying the last few Circus Devils releases. If you think you'd like to hear a darker, psych/prog-leaning Pollard, give Ataxia or Sgt. Disco a listen.

Come to think of it, the ideal starting point for the side-project Pollard novice would be this comp:

Posted Image

guaranteed.

#132 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:16 PM

That is a fantastic comp. I've always been a fan of Circus Devils, though I've had the impression that it is one of Pollard's least loved side-projects. I just appreciate the twisted-prog approach.
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#133 jp1972

jp1972

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:30 PM

I'll just add to the love for the Pollard/Gillard Speak Kindly... album. "And I Don't (So Now I Do)" is primo melodic Pollard, with vocal charisma to spare.

The Keene Brothers Blues and Boogie Shoes album is another fave of mine. I hope he does more work with Tommy Keene at some point.

I need to check out some Airport 5; that is one side project I don't think I've had the chance to investigate yet.

#134 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

The Keene Brothers Blues and Boogie Shoes album is another fave of mine. I hope he does more work with Tommy Keene at some point.

Tommy Keene was part of the 'touring version' of Boston Spaceships (along with Jason Narducy) last year. As good as that last BS album was, it couldn't hold a candle to the live version. Keene is pure old-school guitar slinger, and he 'gets' Pollard's music.

Posted Image

A live album would be nice.

#135 jp1972

jp1972

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

A live album would be nice.

And how.

I do recall hearing that Keene and Pollard were doing shows together, but I didn't realize it was under the Spaceships moniker.

#136 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Hell yeah, how could I forget Crickets? Amazing comp. Now I'm really, really sorry I didn't see boston Spaceships. I think I went to another concert the night before and couldn't afford two in a row. Blast.

#137 held

held

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3549 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Did any of you schmucks look at the other Pollard thread I bumped several weeks ago?
2009 Pollard releases
There is nothing more depressing than trying to appear happy when you are not."
- Nick Cave

#138 JohnnySuperstar

JohnnySuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

http://www.magnetmag...ided-by-voices/

just one asshole's opinion...but it's got some tracks to listen to if you're trying to get into GBV.

i like Hot Freaks and Bulldog Skin for the record.

#139 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

http://www.magnetmag...ided-by-voices/

just one asshole's opinion...but it's got some tracks to listen to if you're trying to get into GBV.

i like Hot Freaks and Bulldog Skin for the record.

He's right about this one:

1. “A Trophy Mule In Particular” (2003)
If you dismissed Earthquake Glue without really paying attention, you missed some terrific stuff. It’s a late-period classic, overstocked with off-kilter prog gems like this. “A Trophy Mule In Particular” is the ultimate grower, one of those Pollard tracks that you can listen to 100 times before you realize, “Holy crap, this is incredible.” It builds and builds from a bubbling, quiet start into its cataclysmic middle section, and by the time you’ve realize what’s happened, it’s dark and brooding again.