44 replies to this topic

#1 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:40 AM

No sequence of lead off tracks has ever affected me in the way these have.

In fact, I think they hit me more now (as a 32 year old) than they did the first time I heard them (as a 15 year old)

Its just (to my ears) a perfect sequencing of tracks.

And even though I stil love current REM (sorry, I really like Around The Sun) this for me is my very favorite REM era.

They were powerful and confident, yet still oblique and artsy. They struck the perfect balance of rock and art.

To my ears and limited perspective at least.

A pistol hot cup of rhyme and all that.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#2 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:50 AM

Yeah Lifes is the most consistent R.E.M. record by far. The great shit just keeps coming. Then there's "Underneath the Bunker", and then the great shit just keeps coming again.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#3 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:19 AM

Yeah Lifes is the most consistent R.E.M. record by far. The great shit just keeps coming. Then there's "Underneath the Bunker", and then the great shit just keeps coming again.

This is my favorite REM disc also. I love the historical references to Miles Standish, etc., while still being cool and catchy. "Fall on Me" is probably my all time favorite REM song.
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#4 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8673 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Yep...Fall On Me...my favorite REM song. Cuyahoga holds a special place for me, being from Cleveland and all. I remember the weekend it came out. I went boating with a friend and had made a cassette copy off my vinyl for the boat. We played Cuyahoga as we cruised up the Cuyahoga through the flats of Cleveland. REM playing Cuyahoga at Blossom in the Cuyahoga National Valley Area on two occasions was also very memorable. As was a recent performance of it by Death Cab For Cutie with members of The Flaming Lips joining in at the same venue last month. It is a fantastic sequence...the first two songs just rocking and winding you up, then into the sweetness of FOM.... <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/cDKR7Wrxjvc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/uDPJY2mxTO0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3951 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:51 AM

Right on. It's the best first 1/3 of any of their albums. Was so cool to hear Cuyahoga in Cleveland at the Vote For Change tour.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#6 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 07:56 AM

The Flowers of Guatemala is one of the most beautifull songs they've ever written. And call me crazy but when i first picked up the guitar my goal wasn't to learn stairway or freebird my goal was to learn Begin The Begin. Another fun thing with this album is the outakes and demos....the songs left off this album are by far my favorite R.E.M. songs that never got released. I was very pleasantly surprised when they rerecorded Bad Day but Theme From Two Steps Onward is still my hands down favorite R.E.M. song that got left behind.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#7 musick

musick

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

listening to the opening of this record you hear a band that is trying to play its way out of the speakers ......."talk about the passion" (pun intended) LRP holds a special place for me, it was a great time and music like this just doesn't exist "these days" despite how hard you look this record actually turned 20 years old in July and still feels as fresh as when it was originally released great opening sequence of songs and a great album through and through as for closers to me nothing beats the one two punch of "Nightswimming" followed by "Find A River" from AFTP Walked, Swam, Hunted, Danced, and Sang

#8 Sam

Sam

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1493 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:10 AM

LRP's opening trio is great. But Airbag -> Paranoid Android ->Subterranean Homesick Alien -> Exit Music (For a Film) -> Let Down -> Karma Police is better. And twice as long.
(glorified) lurker

#9 Jimmy TKB

Jimmy TKB

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6325 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:15 AM

LRP's opening trio is great.

But Airbag -> Paranoid Android ->Subterranean Homesick Alien -> Exit Music (For a Film) -> Let Down -> Karma Police is better. And twice as long.

I never thought I would be saying this, but get your Radiohead outta my REM!

#10 musick

musick

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

But Airbag -> Paranoid Android ->Subterranean Homesick Alien -> Exit Music (For a Film) -> Let Down -> Karma Police is better. And twice as long.

well said

#11 Sam

Sam

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1493 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

What's funny is I'm actually a bigger REM fan that Radiohead. Well, to be fair, I like REM better than any other band, but I still think the first half of OKC is the best opening sequence I've ever heard. So solly, cholly.
(glorified) lurker

#12 registered bitch

registered bitch

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:41 AM

I love that album too. It wasn't always my favorite at the time, but it might be now. I always thought of Lifes Rich Pageant and Document as being a pair. It's funny how Document sounds pretty dated and was supposedly their more "rock" record, and Lifes Rich Pageant was looked at as more "pop". Peter Buck used to refer to Lifes Rich Pageant as their "Bryan Adams record". It seems like R.E.M have come to this record too. Recent tours have included "Begin The Begin", "Cuyahoga" and "These Days".

#13 The Gooch

The Gooch

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:14 AM

On a related note -

Murmur to Reckoning to Fables of the Reconstruction to Life's Rich Pagaent to Document.

Shit, is that a run or is that a run?

I occasionally forget how great they were.
Posted Image

#14 Kennan

Kennan

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:34 PM

On a related note -

Murmur to Reckoning to Fables of the Reconstruction to Life's Rich Pagaent to Document.

And on an album-per-year release, too.
Having a signature.

#15 registered bitch

registered bitch

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

On a related note -

And on an album-per-year release, too.

yeah, not to mention Chronic Town and Dead Letter Office.

Amazing band.

#16 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

R.E.M. had a stellar ten-year run from Chronic Town to AFTP. The only band that comes close to comparing is Husker Du (and I'm sure people that like Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen would throw them in).

plus, it's a stellar fourteen-year run if you include Monster (slightly dubious) and New Adventures in Hi-Fi (very deserving, but unfortunately came after Monster).
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#17 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:43 PM

I think Monster is a much better record than it's percieved to be.

I love "Crush" and "Tongue"

"Let Me In" I think of as one of their best songs.

"I Took Your Name" is one of their best show-opener songs ever.

I have very fond memories of that tour as well.

Listen to Monster on a roadtrip (Coachella?) in the summer thru the desert and its quality multiplies.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#18 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

"Kenneth", "Crush" and "Bang and Blame" are great songs. I can live without the rest.

#19 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

I've always been quite partial to "I Don't Sleep, I Dream." The problem with Monster isn't the songs, it's the sound. It's like Peter Buck got a new guitar effect for Christmas that year and decided he'd use it on everything the band touched.

#20 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

Yeah I am a huge proponent of guitar jangle, so fuck that fuzz shit. They didn't learn how to actually rock out with it until "The Wake-Up Bomb".