#2081 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Posted Image
I started reading this a little over three years ago and didn't quite make it to ancient Greece. I'm giving it another shot. At this rate, it should only take me the rest of my life to finish reading the 1184 pages.

#2082 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

Read this.

Posted Image

Now reading this.

Posted Image
Few beings have ever been so impregnated, pierced to the core, by the conviction of the absolute futility of human aspiration. The universe is nothing but a furtive arrangement of elementary particles. A figure in transition toward chaos. That is what will finally prevail. The human race will disappear. Other races in turn will appear and disappear. And human actions are as free and as stripped of meaning as the unfettered movements of the elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, sentiments? Pure ‘Victorian fictions.’ All that exists is egotism. Cold, intact, and radiant.

Michel Houellebecq

#2083 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

To go into reread-for-the-1st-time since-high-school mode:
Posted Image

To reread and (maybe) finish:
Posted Image

To finally get under my belt:
Posted Image

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#2084 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:41 PM

You know that Dill in TKAM is based on Truman Capote, right?

#2085 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Ahhhh!...makes sense, but since I haven't read it since 1988, I wouldn't have known that. The movie Capote (the reason why I got me In Cold Blood now) was where I learned about Harper Lee's relationship with him.

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

#2086 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

You know that Dill in TKAM is based on Truman Capote, right?

There are some who believe that Capote wrote much of it.

#2087 richard

richard

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Capote is an amazing writer; probably my favorite. It's sad that he couldn't create a great fiction novel for shit. I've read a bunch of his works, and nothing really impressed me (in terms of story plots, twists, etc.) However, In Cold Blood is his absolute best work and my favorite book of all time. Really amazing stuff.
Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man.

#2088 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

There are some who believe the earth is flat, too, Tony, but who fucking cares?

#2089 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

'Who fucking cares' could be applied to 95% of posts on a message board at any given time by anyone.

#2090 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

Indeed. I certainly apply it to myself. Except when I don't.

#2091 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Capote is an amazing writer; probably my favorite. It's sad that he couldn't create a great fiction novel for shit.

Nor could he act...ever see Murder By death? :lol:

#2092 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

'Who fucking cares' could be applied to 95% of posts on a message board at any given time by anyone.

I kind of cared. Brain, you don't have to make a comment every time. <_<

#2093 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

Capote is an amazing writer; probably my favorite. It's sad that he couldn't create a great fiction novel for shit. I've read a bunch of his works, and nothing really impressed me (in terms of story plots, twists, etc.) However, In Cold Blood is his absolute best work and my favorite book of all time. Really amazing stuff.

Great, maybe not. But The Grass Harp, while short and not especially innovative, is certainly a good read.

#2094 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image

Ordered. Acme Novelty Library #19, by Chris Ware. Didn't realize this was even out.
Few beings have ever been so impregnated, pierced to the core, by the conviction of the absolute futility of human aspiration. The universe is nothing but a furtive arrangement of elementary particles. A figure in transition toward chaos. That is what will finally prevail. The human race will disappear. Other races in turn will appear and disappear. And human actions are as free and as stripped of meaning as the unfettered movements of the elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, sentiments? Pure ‘Victorian fictions.’ All that exists is egotism. Cold, intact, and radiant.

Michel Houellebecq

#2095 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

Just finished The Virgin Suicides and now I'm depressed. It's weird. Reading the entire book, you know they're going to kill themselves. But when it happens it still hit me hard. The entire book is just really depressing. The decaying trees, the decaying house, the characters narrating from their forties. Such an overwhelming feeling of melancholy.

Michel Houellebecq

#2096 richard

richard

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Capote is an amazing writer; probably my favorite. It's sad that he couldn't create a great fiction novel for shit.

Haven't seen it. But I have seen both 'Capote' and 'Infamous.' I'm still debating as to who's performance was better; Hoffman or Jones.

Great, maybe not. But The Grass Harp, while short and not especially innovative, is certainly a good read.

The Grass Harp is one of the few works that I haven't read just yet. I just finished Music for Chameleons recently and, although his writing style and structure is so fluid and brilliant, the plots really let me down.

With all the hype surrounding Breakfast at Tiffany's , I was convinced it was a great book. Maybe it was the hype that killed it for me in the end, but I thought it was nothing more than just an OK read, particulary because it felt incomplete.

#2097 richard

richard

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

I recently decided to catch up with all the 'classics' that I wasn't forced to read in High school/College..

Just finished this:

Posted Image

Reading this now

Posted Image

Considering this one next:
Posted Image

#2098 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

1984 is a must, at the very least to see how prescient it was.

#2099 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

I MUST protest! Capote's voice comes from inside the moose head in this clip - now tell me that ain't acting!

#2100 Ogawa

Ogawa

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Reading this now. The prose seems a little pedestrian coming off something as incredible as The Virgin Suicides, but I suspect it'll be a quick, enjoyable read none-the-less.

Posted Image

Michel Houellebecq