Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Posted Image

Appleseed - John Clute

A classic Space Opera gone Postsingularity -- the maybe creaky plot (nearly like something out of the Lensman series) is propelled more by the words that limn it than it's own devices.

I'm 90 pages in and still trying to get my footing on this things tossing, heaving decks left slick with the juice of ideas crushed in the rush forward to the next paragraph's ideation. The language of this thing can run from Elizabethan to "Yo! MTV Raps" in the length of a sentence fragment, inventing the sociological/tautological/linguistic/gymnastic symbologies wholesale for the rest of the thought. They could never make a movie of this book that could capture a fragment of the meanings within it, nor would 99.44% of the moviegoing audience pay $12 to watch it if they could.

I'm loving it.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#1742 BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

BRANDON BOYD FROM INCUBUS

all sorts of chill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5776 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

wow, this brings back memories. powers is the first 'alternative' comic i ever got into, followed closely by transmetropolitan. i wish bendis would've stuck to his own series, instead of immersing himself in all that ultimate crap.

have you read the first issue of final crisis yet? i just dled it off another board, and i'm about to get stoned and read it twice. can't wait.

#1743 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

Posted Image

wow, this brings back memories. powers is the first 'alternative' comic i ever got into, followed closely by transmetropolitan. i wish bendis would've stuck to his own series, instead of immersing himself in all that ultimate crap.

have you read the first issue of final crisis yet? i just dled it off another board, and i'm about to get stoned and read it twice. can't wait.

I was about to read it tonight, along with the new Superman 11.

Seriously, Morrison is totally owning comics right now. Batman 677 was so frickin' good, and I haven't really followed much of his run, but I feel like i need to go back and go through everything.
Posted Image

#1744 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

Finished Studio A: The Bob Dylan Reader. I have read just about every Dylan-related book I can get my hands on, but this annoyed me, though I can't articulate why. Not really big on the inclusion of pieces bashing Dylan and this has a couple of those.

Now reading:Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage. Maugham takes rather a dim view of the clergy. He characterizes the Parson as "Unaccustomed to working" which struck me as somehow hilarious.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#1745 Chronodiggity

Chronodiggity

THE PRINCE OF THE SOMB

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image
^_^

#1746 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image

Got into this after reading sister Amy's wacky cooking book (see previous pages), but I'm actually doing the audiobook. Sedaris has just the reedy, squeaky voice you would expect from a gay North Carolinian. :) Posters here have commented that the family stories are better than the other ones, but I will say that "Six To Eight Black Men" (performed before a live audience here) is a classic that should be a Christmas tradition in every household. ;)

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#1747 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

I kind of want to read the new Salman Rushdie, but all the reviews have been pretty "meh." It still sounds like a fun summer read, and I love Rushdie's imagination, so I'll probably hit it anyways.
Posted Image

#1748 crease

crease

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Posted Image

Got into this after reading sister Amy's wacky cooking book (see previous pages), but I'm actually doing the audiobook. Sedaris has just the reedy, squeaky voice you would expect from a gay North Carolinian. :) Posters here have commented that the family stories are better than the other ones, but I will say that "Six To Eight Black Men" (performed before a live audience here) is a classic that should be a Christmas tradition in every household. ;)

Sedaris is a gifted storyteller and all...and he does make me laugh...but my BS-meter really started blaring with this book. I'm sure he's had a lot of wacky stuff happen, and his family-life was warped. Got that. Yet, some of the stuff is so over the top that it strains credulity.

#1749 MadroXXX

MadroXXX

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

if your bs-meter goes off while reading sedaris, i don't know what kind of ten-bell alarm goes off when you read a. burroughs.

#1750 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:03 AM

Posted Image
After Dark - Haruki Murakami: Took me a lot longer to finish than most Murakami's, and I'm not really sure what the point of it was, not in a Wind-Up Bird Chronicles-Oh-My-God-That-Blew-My-Mind-Even-As-I-Don't-Understand-it way as a "Hmm, okay, that's that." I'd like to re-read it some time in the future and see if I glean a little more out of it. Right now, though, it definitely falls into the camp of lesser Murakami, which is still a good camp in which to find oneself.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#1751 st. park

st. park

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:25 AM

yea, after dark wasn't very good at all.

#1752 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

I loved Me Talk Pretty One Day, but things he wrote before and since haven't really hit the same spot.

"Six to Eight Black Men" is very funny, though. What about the weird meta story with the parrot? I wasn't sure what to make of it.

#1753 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:30 AM

Posted Image

All Over Coffee - Paul Madonna

Collection of the first two year's worth of Madonna's Coffee comic strip that appears in the SF Chronicle. The writing is terribly hit-and-miss, but I don't really care. I just look at the illustrations, which are india ink and various washes. Absolutely beautiful.

#1754 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

Posted Image

Sedaris is a gifted storyteller and all...and he does make me laugh...but my BS-meter really started blaring with this book. I'm sure he's had a lot of wacky stuff happen, and his family-life was warped. Got that. Yet, some of the stuff is so over the top that it strains credulity.

I find his stuff works much better in a performance medium. Essays that got a chuckle from me in print have had me in hysterics when I hear him read.
"So?" - Dick Cheney

#1755 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:20 PM

Posted Image

The Best of Roald Dahl
I really didn't know anything about him before picking this up. Apparently he wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. His wicked sense of humor runs throughout the collection of short stories. Just came across the short story that inspired the Tarantino segment in "Four Rooms".

#1756 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

Posted Image

The Best of Roald Dahl
I really didn't know anything about him before picking this up. Apparently he wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. His wicked sense of humor runs throughout the collection of short stories. Just came across the short story that inspired the Tarantino segment in "Four Rooms".

One of the best short story writers ever. Now criminally overlooked.

In addition, he was a fighter pilot (who survived a serious crash in his single-engine fighter), worked with doctors to create the WDT valve which enabled children suffering from "water on the brain" to relive pressure on their brain tissue, and was married to Oscar winner Patrica Neal (she had a cerebral hemorrage when she was pregnant with their fifth child and was paralyzed. Dahl worked with her daily to get her back to full strength, successfully.)

#1757 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2891 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:38 PM

Posted Image

This is just a wonderful treat. A great insight into his stand-up comedy, as well as his life.

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#1758 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

The Best of Roald Dahl

In addition, he was a fighter pilot (who survived a serious crash in his single-engine fighter), worked with doctors to create the WDT valve which enabled children suffering from "water on the brain" to relive pressure on their brain tissue, and was married to Oscar winner Patrica Neal (she had a cerebral hemorrage when she was pregnant with their fifth child and was paralyzed. Dahl worked with her daily to get her back to full strength, successfully.)

Hmmm... pretty interesting life story.
I'll have to look into some bio info about him.

#1759 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Posted Image

The Best of Roald Dahl

Hmmm... pretty interesting life story.
I'll have to look into some bio info about him.

I never read anything but the 2 Charlie books. He's long overdue in my To Read list...thanks for cluing me in.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#1760 brainstorm

brainstorm

Hipster

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2241 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

^ great childrens' book author, and yet flunked English four years running. Also wrote James and the Giant Peach and Fantastic Mr. Fox, as well as a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
"So?" - Dick Cheney