Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

i am reading 'the bell jar' for fun right now
who knew my life would come to this

but seriously, i can't put it down, great book
why is this not talked about in the same way as catcher in the rye?

cause a woman wrote it.
nah, good book.

Paul Westerberg's "Crackle and Drag" is about Sylvia Plath.
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#1782 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

i am reading 'the bell jar' for fun right now
who knew my life would come to this

but seriously, i can't put it down, great book
why is this not talked about in the same way as catcher in the rye?

cause a woman wrote it.
nah, good book.

I was going to say the same thing.

Also could it have something to do with it being more explicitly autobiographical? Probably not.

I read it thinking I would be indifferent to it--during my big Plath phase, too. I was wrong--great great book.

When I finish the Barthes (I keep napping and watching bad movies instead of reading so it's taking me a very long time to read a short book that isn't difficult to read at all) I'm going to read more Murakami. I've read Windup Bird... and Norwegian Wood, which I think are at pretty opposite ends of his spectrum, and loved them both. I'm thinking next I'll read Kafka on the Shore or the one about the Sarin attacks--what's it called?

#1783 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:32 PM

I'm going to read more Murakami. I've read Windup Bird... and Norwegian Wood, which I think are at pretty opposite ends of his spectrum, and loved them both. I'm thinking next I'll read Kafka on the Shore or the one about the Sarin attacks--what's it called?

Underground

Personally, I'd recommend Sputnik Sweetheart which is kind of the in-between for Norweigan and Windup. If you want to go more in the Windup direction, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is pretty damned spectacular.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#1784 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:11 PM

Posted Image
flipping through an original print of the last whole earth catalogue. this thing has everything in it. my god what a resource.
also reading the brief wondrous life of oscar wao by junot diaz.
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#1785 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

Posted Image

Picked this up today, and spent some time tearing through it. It's just superb so far, the most interesting account of Soviet Russia I've ever encountered, in literature or film. From interesting, largescale important moments to tiny, perhaps more interesting, tidbits author Christopher Andrew takes in the amazing information and life story Oleg Gordievsky puts forth, leading to a read I'm barely able to put down. Recommended for any history buff and/or espionage enthusiast.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#1786 Raleigh

Raleigh

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1043 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:31 AM

I don't have any pictures but I'm reading everything Chandler all at once. fuck yes.

#1787 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:49 PM

Re-reading
Posted Image

Seriously, how do people go through life without reading this?

never read this, what kind of book is it?

It's an analysis/distillation of the hero archetype throughout history/mythology.

#1788 Ennui

Ennui

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3180 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:35 AM

My AP English teacher senior year had us watch Joseph Campbell's video series based on that book and practically modeled 3/4 of the class around some of the major stories in there by reading a group of books that had related themes and then going back to Campbell's explanation of the archetype pertaining to the segment. In retrospect, that's a brilliant way to design the course and I feel kind of bad everybody in the class took the film time to goof off.
But among the jackals, the panthers, the bitch hounds, The apes, the scorpions, the vultures, the serpents, The yelping, howling, growling, crawling monsters, In the filthy menagerie of our vices, There is one more ugly, more wicked, more filthy! Although he makes neither great gestures nor great cries, He would willingly make of the earth a shambles And, in a yawn, swallow the world; He is Ennui! His eye watery as though with tears, He dreams of scaffolds as he smokes his hookah pipe. You know him reader, that refined monster, Hypocritish reader, my fellow, my brother!

#1789 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

I'm trying to make my own year-long course critical theory, etc. Slow going.

Posted Image

Whatever.

#1790 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

I'm going to read more Murakami. I've read Windup Bird... and Norwegian Wood, which I think are at pretty opposite ends of his spectrum, and loved them both. I'm thinking next I'll read Kafka on the Shore or the one about the Sarin attacks--what's it called?

Not a good book to read if you take the subway to work.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#1791 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Not a good book to read if you take the subway to work.

Haha, good call.

Having not read it,

whenever I see a paper bag on the subway I just wait for people around me to start choking on themselves.

#1792 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

whenever I see a paper bag on the subway I just wait for people around me to start choking on themselves.

Here's a tip for the summer time: If the train looks full except for one car, don't go into the empty car, even if it means you have to push your way into one of the other cars and stand real close like you're on your way to a concentration camp. The empty car, no matter how attractive it looks, has already been claimed by the smelliest homeless man in the city.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#1793 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Here's a tip for the summer time: If the train looks full except for one car, don't go into the empty car, even if it means you have to push your way into one of the other cars and stand real close like you're on your way to a concentration camp. The empty car, no matter how attractive it looks, has already been claimed by the smelliest homeless man in the city.

Or the air conditioning is broken, I have learned.

#1794 Henrietta

Henrietta

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

I just finished reading Suttree by Cormac McCarthy. What a spectacular book. Probably the best writing I've ever laid eyes on. His Blood Meridian is similarly magnificent.

#1795 Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Neophyte

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (in English) and Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (in Polish). Ice Nine, fuck yeah.
I find you humans quite interesting, even though you are a worthless, greedy lot. What fascinations there are on this planet. Strange mortals with... curious customs.

Life itself is only a vision. A dream. Nothing exists, save empty space and you. And you... are but a thought.

#1796 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

Just picked up:
Posted Image
Final Crisis 2

as well as the New Avengers and Mighty Avengers.

Should be some good comics tonight.

A little pissed though that the comic store in my home town (which is uber-shitty compared to the places in Chicago) charges tax on comics. I didn't know that it was allowed.
Posted Image

#1797 Henrietta

Henrietta

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Posted Image

The Stranger is one of my favorite books and I really liked The Plague. And now Camus continues to impress me with The Fall.

#1798 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

I just wanted to point out that "Final Crisis 2" is stellar. God I hated The Stranger so much. I mean the story was well told, but I hate the overall purpose so much. Such bleak, existentialism is just so "blah" to me.
Posted Image

#1799 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

charges tax on comics. I didn't know that it was allowed.

pretty sure that's not allowed. Call the Illinois Department of Revenue on them.

#1800 Henrietta

Henrietta

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:20 AM

God I hated The Stranger so much. I mean the story was well told, but I hate the overall purpose so much. Such bleak, existentialism is just so "blah" to me.

The Plague deals with similar issues and isn't quite as bleak. In fact, it's almost uplifting. Despite so many people dying.