#241 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

You guys are all dumbshits.

The answer to the question posed by this thread is right fucking in front of you in the fucking year 2006.

Wake the fuck up.

Posted Image

Seriously.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#242 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:16 PM

Serious question:
What were the "Nevermind"s that preceded Nirvana's "Nevermind"?
(Please God, don't let the answer be Elvis and the Beatles)

Benny Goodman obviously

I'd be curious to know the ages of those arguing against Nevermind's impact. I was 13, and it completely blew up my world. It was new, it was different, and it spoke to me a lot more than any other music in the mainstream at that time. I can vouch that it had the same impact on a lot of other people my age, as well as on MTV, which--like it or not--pretty much defined pop culture.

Deej is right: The Chronic had pretty much the same impact on the rap world, in that gangsta rap took over completely for years. But that wave had already started a couple years earlier with NWA, no?

#243 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

at that point though, g-rap was only a strain among many, and new york hip-hop still dominated hip-hop radio across the country. it wasn't til the chronic where gangsta became this blueprint that let people fill in their own stories as the common denominator
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#244 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

at that point though, grunge was only a strain among many, and l.a. metal still dominated rock radio across the country. it wasn't til nevermind where grunge became this blueprint that let people fill in their own stories as the common denominator

#245 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

that doesn't work as a parallel at all. and doesn't really relate to my argument, either.

#246 Dark Flame

Dark Flame

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

Is that paragraph about Radiohead talking about their early career? Because they haven't sounded remotely like nirvana, in 'spirit' or otherwise, since creep.

Listen to the opening bars of Just, and then the opening bars of Rape Me and say that again.

#247 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

Oh, wow, a chord progression played on a guitar. SCANDALOUS.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#248 Dark Flame

Dark Flame

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:32 PM

I'm just saying, Radiohead had moments beyond Creep where they sounded a fair bit like Nirvana. That ended after The Bends, but there's no real denying it.

#249 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:40 PM

To use the Radiohead logic then, noone that was influenced by The Chronic can still be counted unless they STILL make early 90s-sounding G-funk.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#250 gil-scott heroin

gil-scott heroin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

To use the Radiohead logic then, noone that was influenced by The Chronic can still be counted unless they STILL make early 90s-sounding G-funk.

no shiittt. i think you'd see that hiphop took rap to a nihilistic young black don't give a fuck attitude like nirvana had it's pissy anti-mainstream punk coming out attitude. chronic lit that shit up. young black and angry still sells
Posted Image

#251 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

I think we can all agree that they were both hugely influential records, both musically and culturally. Can we please move on past apple and orange water treading? For the sake of The Board?
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#252 HandBanana

HandBanana

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5760 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:55 PM

Can we please move on past apple and orange water treading? For the sake of The Board?

Actually, while the Apple may have greater initial impact (Garden of Eden), I think you will find that the Orange has been far more influential to southern blacks and its influenced many more kinds of drinks, candy flavorings, etc. As well as opening the door to a citrus revolution, the effects of which still reverberate in the culture-at-large.
[color="#FF0000"][size=3]I made some rock posters.
For the world.
That give worms to ex-girlfriends: [url="http://www.gigposter...tp://www.gigpos

#253 gil-scott heroin

gil-scott heroin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

that shit's creational science
Posted Image

#254 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:12 PM

Hailing as I do from Washington State, I predictably side with the Apples...

Posted Image

Go Apples!!!
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#255 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:52 PM

I wash my hands of this nonsense. Trying to elevate the conversation was a waste of time.

#256 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8938 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:11 PM

Im kinda starting to think that that kind of cultural sea change is impossible now.

Nevermind was really just the breaking point for like a decade of underground that bubbled up to the point of being impossible to contain underground.

Technically another Nirvana should have happened by now.

Hell, everyone thought it was gonna be The Strokes 5 years ago.

Sigh.

Going back to the first post in the thread...

sentence #1: I agree with this to an extent.

sentence #2: It could have been seen as such, but I don't think Nirvana really wanted to be any bigger than any of the bands they admired and eventually became peers with. There was no "we're breaking through!" mentality like there is everywhere today.

sentence #3: This statement is unqualifiable and ungrounded.

sentence #4: Many people did, I don't know about everyone.

sentence #5: Indeed.

#257 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:27 PM

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

(can't believe no one else said that yet)

I feel stupid.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#258 d. dewey

d. dewey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:00 AM

I'd be curious to know the ages of those arguing against Nevermind's impact.

I was well into my twenties when Nirvana broke. I'm arguing for Nirvana's impact. Why? Because, at the time, I was surprised that a college radio-type band other than R.E.M. could get a hit single in 1991. I mean, if the Replacements couldn't make it (and they almost did), why would a Nirvana? Every major label seemingly had their token flannel-shirt alt-rock band, back in 1988-91, and although the albums may have charted, none of them had a snowball's chance in hell of unseating Color Me Badd.

And then along came Cobain.

Im kinda starting to think that that kind of cultural sea change is impossible now.

Nevermind was really just the breaking point for like a decade of underground that bubbled up to the point of being impossible to contain underground.

Technically another Nirvana should have happened by now.

Hell, everyone thought it was gonna be The Strokes 5 years ago.

Sigh.

Next Big Things never happen when the world is looking for them. It's always something with no precedent.

As for Nirvana, they probably already had a fan base in the indie-rock sector, but even THEY never thought they'd wind up being one of the biggest bands of the decade.

#259 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:57 AM

Lots of people do, btw.

#260 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:08 AM

good thread.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.