246 replies to this topic

#1 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:49 AM

Recommendations? Should I go from the start? Should I stay well away? I've only heard a few select songs of theirs and haven't found them too bad, but a buddy told me to dig a little deeper, grab their albums and their live stuff, but he wasn't (and never is) too specific. So... point me in the right direction.

#2 Inzane

Inzane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:51 AM

Dun' got any albums to post. But let me just say, they do GREAT covers live. Very varied.

#3 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

I'm tempted to recommend you stay well away--unless you feel you need to get into a band with a rabid cult fanbase...in which case, might I recommend some Creepy D.

I have White Pepper...it's pretty good. But I admit--I'm not ready for these guys.

#4 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

It depends. I think the best actual album in terms of what they're capable of as musicians is The Mollusk. In terms of their spoofing craft you might want to start with Chocolate and Cheese. Most people do start with C&C. It's a good indicator or whether or not their style sinks or swims with you.

#5 heinstein

heinstein

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

All you need to know is: They are awesome. Go see them live, it will change your life. Even if you haven't heard any studio output. I would check out Quebec. Its my favorite, and its so underrated.

#6 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:05 AM

There have been extensive threads on Ween here. Try digging through the archives.

#7 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

Paging Pavement to thread
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#8 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:16 AM

There have been extensive threads on Ween here.
Try digging through the archives.

Yeah, maybe start with a search of the SOMB archives...and the cover art for Chocolate and Cheese...that should keep you busy for a while.

#9 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

First, let me say that they're one of my favorite bands.
I actually think Chocolate and Cheese is a good starting point - extremely varied.
Don't have it with me, otherwise I would post it.

There are lots of Ween fans on the board - Paves, Dan, Yancy... I think Paves and Dan made Ween comps, and I did as well. Maybe you can beg for a re-post. Again, I don't have it with me, but I'll try to post something later.

#10 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

12 Country Golden Hits is an album I personally like. It's like a country music parody record with great musicianship.

#11 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:30 AM

For reals...dig for the archives, I posted heavily in those threads, too. Sorry to seem so lazy, but...Ween will change your life.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#12 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

I'd recommend the two latest studio albums, White Pepper and Quebec, for the uninitiated.

#13 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:49 AM

I'm a The Pod man myself. Then The Mollusk.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#14 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

I'm a The Pod man myself.

But would you recommend that to someone who's never heard the band?

#15 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'd say the best way to start is either White Pepper or The Mollusk. White Pepper is pretty straightforward stuff that shows you how great of songwriters they are. The Mollusk is probably my favorite, but might be a little weird for most.
Posted Image

#16 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

The Pod is NO WAY to introduce this band. That's like introducing someone to Judaism with a bris. :D

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#17 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

The Pod is NO WAY to introduce this band. That's like introducing someone to Judaism with a bris. :D

I don't know...I don't really think there's anything wrong with diving straight into the Scotch Guard with these guys. Many of the tunes on there are pretty accessible, too- like "Pork Roll Egg and Cheese."

But yeah, to be fair, Chocolate and Cheese probably serves as a better primer.

LOL at Aggie's bris comment.
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#18 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Cheers for all the responses guys... Dunno why I didn't check through the archives, maybe I was just being lazy, but I'll get right on it. Not sure what made me seek them out, I was just thinking that I needed someone else to listen to, and these guys popped into my head. I'd heard how killer they are as a live band - and I think that's what attracted me to the idea of listening to Ween. I always gravitate towards the bands that put on kick-ass shows. Will let you know how I go!

#19 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

For Campaigner and anyone else that wants it.
Here's disc 1 from the Ween comp that I put together a while back. More to follow.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r2pscf

#20 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1475 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

mouthbreather's Ween comp was my first taste of these guys. I was blown away at all the musical styles they could pull off.
Right in that meaty part of the curve. Not showing off, not falling behind.