Meet me on the corner, we'll start again

#213.

Posted Image

Badly Drawn Boy - "Once Around the Block"

Year
: 1999

US Chart Position: n/a

UK Chart Position: #46 / #27 in '00

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #21 (year), #281 (decade), #1693 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Once Around the Block" sheds some light on the makeup of Badly Drawn Boy's particular pastiche of musical influences. This track points to a distinct Van Morrison reference, drawing on the breezy jazz-inflected vibe of "Moondance," reworked here with a similarly silky melody and supple groove.

Opening with a rhythmic whack of wah-wah guitar, the brisk pace is set by a light tapping shuffle of snare and tick of ride cymbal from drummer Adrian Darce. Badly Drawn Boy's main man Damon Gough handles all other instruments, texturing the sound with round-toned jazz-style guitar runs playing off the vocal melody. Gough's vocals are delivered in a nibble stream, the words caught up in a gentle rush of euphoria inspired by his love and sheer youthful energy to cease the moment: "You quiver like a candle on fire/I'm putting you out/Maybe tonight we could be the last shout/But I'm fascinated by your style/Your beauty will last for a while." The percussion drops out in between verses, the track having a circular feel as it spins through a simple three-chord progression. During a midpoint break, Gough sets in motion a round of '60s-inspired pop backing vocals, full of classic "do-be-do-wah-bap-bahs" and the like, giving the track a bouncy, if retro air. Gough also ups the Van Morrison comparisons, adding a soft-toned vibraphone in the later stages of the song as he cleverly makes reference to the song's title in the final lyric, "Trying to outrun your fear/You're running to lose, heart on your sleeve/And your soul in your shoes/Take a left, a sharp left, and another left/Meet me on the corner and we'll start again." The drums drop out as the track fades slowly to single guitar, warm bass tones, and soft shaker as the vibraphone takes over the main melody for a delicate ending."

Ranked Highest By: No Magnets (#12)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: The Hour of Bewilderbeast
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#202 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

wow, i'm pretty shocked at where this one went. i thought there was a lot of love for "once around the block" on this board.

#203 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Good way to start a new page.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#204 Sideswiped

Sideswiped

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

wow, i'm pretty shocked at where this one went. i thought there was a lot of love for "once around the block" on this board.

Ditto, about the only BDB song I want to listen to these days.
Mathematical Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septomin

#205 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

You will not reach me
I am resenting a position that's past resentment

#212.

Posted Image

Interpol - Interpol EP ("PDA")

Year
: 2002

UK Chart Position: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a (strange, no?)

Rank on Our All-Time Singles List: #346

AMG Says: "This impressive three-song single is Interpol's first release for Matador, following a self-released single and another for Scotland's Chemikal Underground. At some point early on, someone decided to start comparing this New York trio to Joy Division, which makes sense given the mannered, precise fashion in which the group builds tension and (sometimes) releases it, and for the fact that the vocals occasionally approach the depths of Ian Curtis' thick baritone. These comparisons began snowballing and eventually turned to accusations of cloning. This is a horribly nearsighted way of viewing the band; a Joy Division comparison is only one of many that can be drawn, and they are all tenuous at best. A couple examples: the tightly wound nervousness of the vocals truthfully has more in common with the Violent Femmes' Gordon Gano without sounding like a bratty, scrawny Patti Smith fan; the solemn "NYC" surprisingly resembles mid-'80s U2 to an extent, removing all the pomp and throwing itself into a thicket of reverb anchored by a dubwise bassline. To those looking beneath the surface, Interpol becomes a band of its own. Each of the songs here emit various shades of gray, built on durable arrangements, a veteran band's sense of economy and dynamics, and a streak of gloom that never quite reaches overbearing doom."

Ranked Highest By: Elastico (#11)

Amazon Link

#206 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

Many switch in
Switch on, switch off

#211.

Posted Image

Tricky - "Black Steel"

Year
: 1995

UK Chart Position: #28

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #9 (year), #78 (decade), #621 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Culled from Tricky's debut Maxinquaye album, "Black Steel" was the first single to hit the streets after the LP was released in early 1995. An absolutely stunning reinvention of Public Enemy's 1988 classic get-out-of-jail-fest "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos," the testosterone-laden braggadocio of the lyrics are manipulated across Martina Topley-Bird's vocals, to become something brittle and almost fragile. Her delivery is both strengthened and undercut by an absolutely scathing punk guitar and edgy melody which pushes both vocalist and song forward in sync with the lyrical storyboard. Sonically crushing, the hyperventilating electro-tweaked breath that follows the end of the song was the only thing that gave any relief to the clubber, sweaty, limp, and emotionally drained after the experience. This is a prime example of how Tricky used both form and content to create an experience capable of drawing the onlooker into his twisted vision. Very few artists coming out of Bristol's trip-hop scene mastered the vibe as surely as Tricky was able to on his earliest material."

Ranked Highest By: Bobzilla (#10)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Maxinquaye

#207 Ben

Ben

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:02 PM

#215.
Basement Jaxx - "Jus 1 Kiss"

A Chunnel ride away from being a French Duo

EAT THAT PETE YORN

Posted Image < Posted Image

Who's the monkey now!

Also: You are a francophobe and tatu are better than your favorite band. ;) Haha. We need way more smack talk in these threads.
No, I'm Alpha Male.

#208 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

Thank God "Brown Paper Bag" made the cut. Hopefully people will check it out now.

I'm looking at the list of Foo Fighters charting singles on Allmusic now and I think "Monkey Wrench" is really their last good hit, period. I heard it in the car yesterday and thought it was good. Even the overblown final verse works.

Don't be silly.

Posted Image

#209 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Got up today, what a day, thanks a million
I spent too much time wondering why I got an opinion

#210.

Posted Image

Supergrass - "Ricahrd III"

Year
: 1997

UK Chart Position: #2

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Norton (#15)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: In It for the Money

#210 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

Sweet; Richard III is an excellent song. I'd probably say it's the best thing they ever did.

Posted Image

#211 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:57 PM

prep for this poll made me realize just what an astounding number of 8.5/10 singles Supergrass had. Cool band.

#212 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Though my love is rare
Though my love is true

#209.

Posted Image

Nelly Furtado - "I'm Like a Bird"

Year
: 2000

US Chart Position: #9 / #6 Top 40

UK Chart Position: #5

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Citizen (#3)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Whoa Nelly!

#213 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

#215.
Basement Jaxx - "Jus 1 Kiss"

A Chunnel ride away from being a French Duo

EAT THAT PETE YORN

Posted Image < Posted Image

Who's the monkey now!

Also: You are a francophobe and tatu are better than your favorite band. ;) Haha. We need way more smack talk in these threads.

Whoa.... i voted for Pete Yorn :o and i even sent u a PM reminding u BJaxx are on Conan
NO Ben, don't apologize, it's too late! we are over!!!

:( :( :(
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#214 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

(LET ME GO!)

#208.

Posted Image

The Libertines - "Don't Look Back Into the Sun" / "Death on the Stairs"

Year
: 2003

UK Chart Position: #11

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #34 (year), #206 (decade), #2328 (all-time)

Ranked Highest By: Fidel Castro (#10)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: I Get Along

#215 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

#220.

Goo Goo Dolls - "Name"

Oh man, I was joking about the Goo Goo Dolls in my earlier post. Excuse me while I literally vomit shit.

BAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT

I hereby retract your right to listen to music.

#214.

t.A.t.U. - "Not Gonna Get Us"

Ballsacks times a million. Another I forgot to vote for.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#216 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

I had Nelly Furtado at #45, but i think i should have put her higher Hindsight is a bitch. GDB, if I were in the NYC- i would order u a pizza to keep u going all nite w/ this Always appreciated brotha
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#217 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

appreciated. I'm only gonna be here for another 20 min (~2 singles) though

#218 Ben

Ben

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

Remember the good times.
No, I'm Alpha Male.

#219 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

Remember the good times.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

eh, what the heck? *hug* sorry we were ever fighting
now let's make a mash up of Pete Yorn & Basement Jaxx

Posted Image

"

#220 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Bring it back down tonight

#207.

Posted Image

The Killers - "Somebody Told Me"

Year
: 2004

US Chart Position: #51 / #24 Top 40 / #3 Modern Rock

UK Chart Position: #28 / #3 in '05

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #23 (year), #109 (decade), #1337 (all-time)

Ranked Highest By: Bob Loblaw (#33)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Hot Fuss