The last one's still stinging

#154.

Spoon - "Everything Hits at Once"

Year
: 2000

US Chart Position: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a

Ranked Highest By: Animals and Men (#12)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Girls Can Tell
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#603 bunk

bunk

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

Don't say a word
The last one's still singing

I thought it was:

"Don't say a word
The last one's still stinging".

#604 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

typo

#605 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

you're right archie. that said, cool video, i've never seen it before. goddamn, spoon is my favorite band in the universe.

#606 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

listening to this song this morning made me so unbelievably happy. Not a great song, necessarily, but a classic of its time, no doubt.

I have to admit, I like Rancid way more in hindsight than I did at the time. That's still not very much, but still...

Green Day have enjoyed more of a renaissance with me.

Posted Image

#607 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

In one single moment your whole life can turn 'round

#154.

The Streets - "Dry Your Eyes"

Year
: 2004

UK Chart Position: #1

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #21 (year), #99 (decade), #1242 (all-time)

Ranked Highest By: Derry Dukes (#5)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: A Grand Don't Come for Free

#608 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

wack
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#609 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

In my upper half!
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#610 animals and men

animals and men

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

I was going to say I was happy with where "Everything Hits at Once" landed, but then "Dry Your Eyes" beat it out. SOMB needs to get its break-up songs in order.

#611 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

That song IS 2001. EDIT: I meant "Emerge", not The Streets.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#612 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

Yes it's eating no it's chewing me up
It's not right for young lungs to be coughing up blood

#152.

Posted Image

The Libertines - Time for Heroes EP

Year
: 2002

UK Chart Position: #20

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a (????)

Rank on Our All-Time Singles List: #496

AMG Says: "”Time For Heroes” is the lead single from The Libertines debut album, Up The Bracket. The band shoot to brake into the American market, following the success of their debut A/A side single ”What A Waster”/ &”I Got Along” on the U.K. singles charts in June of 2002, with a track that recalls the glory days of the album’s producer, Mick Jones of the The Clash filtered through the more contemporary garage pop of The Strokes. Pulling bits of melody from ”Spanish Bombs” and borrowing The Clash’s juxtaposition of love and war, these brash boys in the band, pay homage to the geezer behind the mixing desk with this bittersweet gem. Right out of the gate, singer Pete Doherty throws his scratchy, Cockney accented vocal into the fray, mingling playfully amongst the sloppy guitars and swooning mid-tempo romp. Doherty has a flair for cross pollinated phrases that is both humorous and affecting, tossing terms of endearment in with acts of civil unrest, “Did you see the stylish kids in the riot? / Shoveled up like muck and set the night on fire / Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields, you know I cherish you my love” The tight arrangement does allow some room for a brief guitar solo and has some other production touches, like pristine backing vocals and section of building guitars that create some effective dynamics, all packed into a careening two and a half minutes of exuberant, carefree rock."

Ranked Highest By: Elemeno P.T. (#2)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Up the Bracket

#613 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/dInnbQrYVhQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Love this vid

and this one
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/WJlEdSebjDM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Anybody know of any other music videos done by Waking Life animators?
Posted Image

#614 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

you're right archie.
that said, cool video, i've never seen it before. goddamn, spoon is my favorite band in the universe.

That Spoon video must've either been animated by one of the artists who worked on the film "Waking Life" or heavily influenced by it.

Obviously I was thinking the same thing, but you posted it faster.

#615 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Obviously I was thinking the same thing, but you posted it faster.

The Spoon one is by Divya Srinivasan and the Molotov one is Paul Beck and Jason Archer. They all worked on waking life. God I love that film.
Posted Image

#616 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Tell the truth you never wanted me
Tell me

#151.

Posted Image

Moby - "Porcelain"

Year
: 2000

US Chart Position: #14 Dance / #18 Modern Rock

UK Chart Position: #5

AMG Says: "Crackling noises layered over reversed synth chords at the beginning and end of "Porcelain" illustrate the homegrown nature of this recording; Moby tracked this song, and the rest of Play, in his Little Italy, NY, apartment. Sure, the noises could have been digitally removed, but they add character to this texture-rich song. A laid-back drum-machine pattern and strategically arranged music layers serve as the foundation to "Porcelain." Each verse adds on a new sound pattern -- be it choir-like chants, vocal samples, or a cello line -- and it's this layering technique that lends "Porcelain" its substance and momentum, even though the song is mid-tempo at best. Moby's layering is done ever so subtly that before you know it, the song climaxes and ends by returning to its beginning with the bare chords and crackling sounds. "Porcelain" could almost have been classified as an instrumental piece, however, Moby does sing a simple, but catchy, vocal line that repeats throughout: "I never meant to hurt you/I never meant to lie/So this is good-bye." His delicate and haunting delivery is a perfect complement for the instrumentation, which features ethereal synth washes and celestial piano hooks. What makes "Porcelain" such a groundbreaking recording is that it helped bring electronica music into the limelight. It was so well-received upon its release in 1999 that it enjoyed cross-format radio play and remains a genre-straddling phenomenon. The song was such a runaway hit, in fact, that it was also featured on a number of television commercials and resulted in a Moby media frenzy (the vegan artist was featured in publications from the New York Times to Spin)"

Ranked Highest By: Agrimorfee (#37)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Play

#617 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#618 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

And Gena didn't even vote

#150.

Sloan - "The Good in Everyone" / "Everything You've Done Wrong"

Year
: 1996

UK Chart Position: n/a

AMG Says: "A short sharp shock of a power pop tune, "The Good in Everyone" only makes it to its two-and-a-quarter length thanks to the extended introduction and coda, a fake live album setting complete with canned audience screams and a smarmy-sounding compere welcoming the band. An angular and punky riff section that sounds a bit like an outtake from Wire's Pink Flag then intrudes before the song proper finally starts. A terse and riff-heavy pop-rocker written and sung by guitarist Patrick Pentland, "The Good in Everyone" has the distortion and chunkiness of a Nirvana single, but its fleet lightness and the way it easily modulates up into a sweetly harmonized chorus are pure British Invasion pop. The song is in and out in two brief verses and choruses, leading back through a reiteration of the angular riff section and fading on the screaming audience, with one particular girl wailing the bandmembers' names like she's at Shea Stadium in 1965. Short, simple, and devastatingly effective, "The Good in Everyone" is the quintessential Sloan tune."

Ranked Highest By: Citizen (#1)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: One Chord to Another

#619 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

And Gena didn't even vote

#150.

Sloan - "The Good in Everyone" / "Everything You've Done Wrong"

Year
: 1996

Ranked Highest By: Citizen (#1)

Can Be Most Easily Found On: One Chord to Another

I had this combo at #9 on my list, largely on the strength of the b-side. Maybe my favorite Sloan song.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#620 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

Here comes the next one

#149.

Posted Image

Lush - "Ladykillers"