#1701 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:59 AM

Last night I had a dream I lost myself.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#1702 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:26 AM

DEAD BY DAWN

#20.

The Foo Fighters - "Everlong"

(1166 Points, 17 Votes)

Year: 1997

One of my songs made the list!

Hmm, as for the rest of it: damn, this list got predictable in a hurry.

Also, as much as I loathe Oasis (and that's a lot) 'Wonderwall' was not their best single. Noel was right when he chatted to Lamacq, back in the day.

Posted Image

#1703 Ben

Ben

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:02 AM

Before the final 20 begins, I have to give some non-GDB related thank you's to Ben and Deej for pimping Exploding Hearts/Stardust in here. I downloaded Guitar Romantic this weekend, and I can't stop listening to it. Seriously, best album I've heard all year. I can't believe I missed the GR train the first time around, it could've been the soundtrack to my senior year of high school. Every song is perfect, and (Sleeping Aides and Razorblades and I'm a Pretender, especially) sound like they were recorded in 1979. This album is probably the most pleasant surprise I've had listening to an old album for the first time since listening to Hot Fuss earlier this year...and yeah, it's definitely better than either of the Libertines' albums.

Yeah, we can now be best friends. Punk rock for life.
No, I'm Alpha Male.

#1704 Ben

Ben

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

[b]Love might bring us back together

Stardust - "Music Sounds Better With You"

(665 Points, Nine Votes)

Maybe the worst single of the decade.

1: You're no fun at all. 2: The answer is "Meet Virginia."

yeah, SOMB love for Spiller just can't be reasoned with

And yet Spoon and "Banditos" get a free ride. No, you must respect the Bextor. :)

I think the reason is that we have a couple female Sophie fans who always represent combined with a few whiteboy disco fans.

yeah, and I don't think I voted for it, but I think it deserves to be up here. It just has that classic single feel to it, y'know?

edited for '04 blurb

Were you referring to The Walkman? That song's okay, I like it, but I've never understood all the love. It's interesting to me that the rock only crowd would place it above Strokes songs. How'd that happen?

Have any Richard X tracks placed?
No, I'm Alpha Male.

#1705 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:36 AM

[b]Love might bring us back together

Stardust - "Music Sounds Better With You"

(665 Points, Nine Votes)

Maybe the worst single of the decade.

1: You're no fun at all.

I'm plenty of fun. I just don't like that song.

'You Don't Know Me', by AVH, is far preferable.

Posted Image

#1706 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:49 AM

we're missing ...baby one more time. I guess, we're not though. but wow, clint eastwood?! jesus.

#1707 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, I voted for it but that is high. I'm sure most(?) would say FGI > CE so if this was to 2005 would that be sitting higher or would vote split come into it?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#1708 Midnite_Vulture

Midnite_Vulture

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1798 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:43 AM

we're missing ...baby one more time.

I guess, we're not though. but wow, clint eastwood?! jesus.

We're missing the Spice Girls. Seriously.

And yeah, "19-2000" and "Rock The House" were waaaay better singles. That one's a tad too high for the company it's in.

MV's blog: http://h-b-e.blogspot.com

MV's other blog about every mixtape he's ever made: http://mixedreaction.blogspot.com

"Our clique is the world. The world is our clique"

#1709 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:44 AM

gorillaz have multiple singles better than this one-- hell, maybe any of them. Damon's vocal hook-- esp. with the piano and melodica-- is really great, but the rest of the song is...eww. The opening rap verse with the "monkey" puns (finally out of cage, I'm good at repairs) is godawful, and the rest of the verses aren't much better. and his voice! grrr.

#1710 throughsilver

throughsilver

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

The 'normal' version of 'Clint' is rubbish. The Ed Case remix, on the other hand, is fucking brilliant, and well worth its spot on the list. They ditch Del, and get with the beats.

Posted Image

#1711 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

So far the top 20 is kind of a dud. Sorry Weezer fans. True, my number one, Do You Realize? made it. Cheesy lyrics? The man has no heart. Looking at my personal top choices...a real shame that The Divine Comedy's Absent Friends didn't even make the countdown.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1712 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:58 AM

and his voice! grrr.

Are you referring to Del? Nothing wrong with his voice, Mr. Dobalina (Mr. Bob Dobalina).

True, my number one, Do You Realize? made it. Cheesy lyrics? The man has no heart.

Sorry, Rob... good song, no doubt, but the singles from Soft Bulletin are better. DYR was way, way too high.

#1713 More Drama

More Drama

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

Looking at my personal top choices...a real shame that The Divine Comedy's Absent Friends didn't even make the countdown.

I had it at #10!

#1714 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

a real shame that The Divine Comedy's Absent Friends didn't even make the countdown.

that's a really great song. nobody seems to pay attention to the guy since he sorta killed the smoothy/casanova act with "too young to die" but he's still knocking out a few class singles an album. "lady of a certain age" is seriously underrated this year, but there's no hook and nothing cool about him, I guess.

edit: yes, I dislike del. you're spot on wrt soft bulletin though -- I prefer all of those are singles, too. DYR? seems to distill all of Coyne's sb/yoshimi 'enjoy life while you can' ideas into one go though, so I can see why people gravitate toward it. still prefer superman and race though.

#1715 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

I'm hoping that as we get into the top 20 (and the top 10, moreso) that there won't be a ton of posts that are just lists predicting what's to come. I don't mind discussion of it. It's just that those lists take all the fun and surprise out of it, especially when they're "updated" in new posts after every new song is unveiled.

My bad.
Posted Image

#1716 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

I'm hoping that as we get into the top 20 (and the top 10, moreso) that there won't be a ton of posts that are just lists predicting what's to come. I don't mind discussion of it. It's just that those lists take all the fun and surprise out of it, especially when they're "updated" in new posts after every new song is unveiled.

Jeebus, Cool B, the GDB has devoted entire threads to encouraging people to predict the final 10 or 20.

You know what takes the fun out of it for some of us? Cooler-than-thou posts laced with casual derision about the other voters:

Ryan Adams - "New York, New York"

Haha.

Okay, post the real #59 now?

#141. Ben Folds Five - "Army"

Massive, embarassing drop off in quality after the rich surprises of the past few days, a few songs aside. I like much of the last 30, but could it possibly be any more unadventurous?

"I'm Like A Bird" is so dull. What's next SOMB? Joss Stone?

So far it's okay. A lot more varied than I expected. We'll see how long that actually lasts.

Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#1717 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

"Clint Eastwood" the worst Gorillaz single? Huh? That single's great. Would hardly make my top 20 of the decade, but it's one of those songs that everyone likes, so I can't begrudge its placement. And I like it much more than "Feel Good, Inc." The only Gorillaz single that might be better is "DARE". And probably not. "Do You Realize??" in the top 20 is pretty terrible. Not horribly surprising though.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#1718 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

"Do You Realize??" in the top 20 is pretty terrible. Not horribly surprising though.

This entire list is messed up thanks to the ateaseweb neophytes that flood into here.

I'm surrpised Do You Realize made it as far as it did.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#1719 jasmine

jasmine

J Rex

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1897 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

"Do You Realize??" in the top 20 is pretty terrible. Not horribly surprising though.

This entire list is messed up thanks to the ateaseweb neophytes that flood into here.

For about the first hundred times I heard "DYR" on wxrt, I thought it was a George Harrison song.

#1720 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:46 PM

For about the first hundred times I heard "DYR" on wxrt, I thought it was a George Harrison song.

it's not?!!?!? :blink:

;)
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"