Photo

John Lennon vs. Paul McCartney

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is greater?

The Greatest Beatle was?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:10 AM

McCartney >>>>>>> Lennon

#2 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

Anyone who thinks that Mccartney was this commercial hack who was holding the Lennon's vision down should take a listen to Lennon's solo albums.

#3 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:18 AM

Anyone who thinks that Mccartney was this commercial hack who was holding the Lennon's vision down should take a listen to Lennon's solo albums.

Holy crap. I could not agree with you more. It's a close race for me in the Beatles. But, once you get into the Lennon solo vs. Wings. There is no comparison. McCartney was clearly greater. And, his bass playing on Revolver and Sgt. Peppers rules.

#4 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

Holy crap. I could not agree with you more. It's a close race for me in the Beatles. But, once you get into the Lennon solo vs. Wings. There is no comparison. McCartney was clearly greater. And, his bass playing on Revolver and Sgt. Peppers rules.

Lennon's solo career is typified by something 'It's So Hard' lazy generic riff rocking of the 'Yer Blues' variety. For all his reputation as a rocker that was more as a great rock vocalist (Twist and Shout, Money), Lennon was best suited to softer stuff as a songwriter.

#5 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

Lennon's solo career is typified by something 'You Gotta Move' lazy generic riff rocking of the 'Yer Blues' variety. For all his reputation as a rocker that was more as a great rock vocalist (Twist and Shout, Money), Lennon was best suited to softer stuff as a songwriter.

I am not sure I agree with that. Revolution is his greatest song. And, I think he shines highest on stuff like Why don't we do it in the road.

I'd argue that Lennon's softer side is his weaker side. Across the Universe is an exception.

I like the vaudevillian style of McCartney, and especially his bass playing. His solo career shows an affinity to create the complex, whereas Lennon's solo career shows an affinity to create the simplistic. This makes me re-think what their roles might have been in the Beatles, and the complexity nod therefore falls to McCartney: my winner.

#6 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:30 AM

Revolution is best as an acoustic number. 'Why Dont We Do it On the Road' is Macca isn't it? And it blows.

#7 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

Revolution is best as an acoustic number. 'Why Dont We Do it On the Road' is Macca isn't it? And it blows.

truth.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#8 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

i refuse to vote, they are both geniuses. when people diss mccartney, i defend him....and when people diss john, i do the same.

#9 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

I say they're equals who both needed the other, so I voted for Lennon.

#10 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

i refuse to vote, they are both geniuses.

when people diss mccartney, i defend him....and when people diss john, i do the same.

Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#11 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

WILL EVERYBODY PLEASE STOP MAKING FUCKING POLLS?
it's really getting out of hand

#12 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:48 AM

WILL EVERYBODY PLEASE STOP MAKING FUCKING POLES?

Population growth rate: -0.05% (2006 est.)
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#13 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

WILL EVERYBODY PLEASE STOP MAKING FUCKING POLLS?

That's the reason I started this poll! And, the more you complain, the more you'll see!

:o

#14 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:18 AM

:o

#15 Hippy┐Hippy┐Shakes

Hippy┐Hippy┐Shakes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

textbook case of the sum being greater than it's parts.
From the SOMB archives ~ "Sleater-Kinney? Sure. If you don't get screamed at enough at home by your wife, they are your band."

#16 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

Lennon's wives >>>> McCartney's wives. That's the only way I could decide. And it was still a tough call. Which brought me to: Lennon's offspring: less annoying than McCartney's offspring. Still debatable.

#17 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

I personally like George Harrison better then all three. I can't get enough of All Things Must Pass. Sounds great. Very layered. Cool feel. Great guitar. Love that album to death.

Posted Image

#18 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

I personally like George Harrison better then all three. I can't get enough of All Things Must Pass. Sounds great. Very layered. Cool feel. Great guitar. Love that album to death.

so you're saying that All Things Must Pass towers over all the Lennon/McCartney songs?

#19 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

Lennon's wives >>>> McCartney's wives.

That's the only way I could decide.
And it was still a tough call.

Which brought me to:

Lennon's offspring: less annoying than McCartney's offspring.

Still debatable.

Lennon's >>>> McCartney's offspring

McCartney's wife Linda >>>>>>>>>> Yoko

But, that backing singing. Shit, it might be worse then yodler freakout Ono.

#20 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

For me, it's a question of feeling. I don't like the music hall vibe in most of McCartney's music, and I like the garage band feeling in John's. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses. At the end of the day the question I'd have to ask is whose music would you want to buy and keep? I've owned McCartney records from his first and second solo careers and his Wings period. They've always gone up for sale after a time. I've got most of the Lennon solo catalog, and I wouldn't even consider parting with any of them.