Photo

John Lennon vs. Paul McCartney

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is greater?

The Greatest Beatle was?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

No option to vote for George Martin? I really love the Bass lines on Abbey Road so i guess i'd have to lean in favor of Paul. But in all fairness you really can't pick one...it's like asking a mother to pick her favorite of 2 twins.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#62 Junta

Junta

Neophyte

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

Lennon

#63 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4402 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

Name one McCartney solo or Wings song that was better than Lennon's "Imagine."

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can...

Name one McCartney solo or Wings song that's more preachy or condescending.

#64 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

i voted a long time ago but this argument always comes up when someone just cites "Imagine" as their answer clearly Paul John Lennon had a lot of material and so much of it was experimental garbage and not so good While with the Beatles, his songwriting got lazier during the ending years. Paul cites "Good Morning" as an example "Instant Karma" is one of my fav songs ever. hands down but for consistency, Paul has made so much great music and John had a lot of hit or miss
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#65 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13223 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

IMAGINE WAS PLAYING IN BLEEKER STREET RECORDS LAST SATURDAY AFTERNOON. I MEAN, "HOW DO YOU SLEEP" AND "OH YOKO" AND WHAT-HAVE-YOU... CLEARLY AMAZING SONGS. LENNON REALLY ONLY LOSES POINTS FOR SAYING THAT RAM SOUNDS LIKE MUZAK. MCCARTNEY AND PLASTIC ONO BAND WERE THE ONLY ALBUMS THAT EITHER DUDE COULD HAVE MADE AFTER ENDING THE BEATLES, LET'S FACE IT. BOTH ARE RAW AND STRIPPED DOWN IN COMPLETELY DIFFERENT WAYS. YET THEY BOTH FOLLOWED THEM UP WITH BEAUTIFULLY PRODUCED STRAIGHT UP POP/ROCK ALBUMS THAT ARE OVERFLOWING WITH TOTALLY RAD LEAD GUITAR PLAYING. ONLY THING IS THAT LENNON'S SHITTY ALBUMS AREN'T VERY ENTERTAINING TO LISTEN TO, WHEREAS VENUS & MARS IS A TOTAL FUCKING JOY THROUGHOUT. PAUL WAS DEDICATED TO WRITING FRUITY MELODIES. ALWAYS. AS A POP SONG, "MAGNETO & TITANIUM MAN" IS VERY MUCH ALIVE. FOR A GOOD PORTION OF HIS SOLO CAREER, DID LENNON EVEN GIVE A SHIT? EH... WHO KNOWS.

ANYWAYS, POINT IS THAT LENNON DIDN'T WRITE "ANGRY" AND "MORSE MOOSE & THE GREY GOOSE," SO THE BEATLES PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM. PAUL, NO QUESTION.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#66 Hero

Hero

Wildcard

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8995 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

ANYWAYS, POINT IS THAT LENNON DIDN'T WRITE "ANGRY" AND "MORSE MOOSE & THE GREY GOOSE," SO THE BEATLES PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM. PAUL, NO QUESTION.

i'm happy to see u back paves
"the ladies have been checking me out lately.... could it be the 10 push-ups i've been cranking out every other Sunday? - Perhaps!" -Scrubs

Some people are a lot like slinkys... kinda useless, not really good for anything -but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs

Posted Image

"After much thought into this, I have finally come to a conclusion as to why the ‘Meet the Spartans’ commercial is so funny:

It is an interesting choice to have Sanjaya sing ‘I’m not gay,’ as his final words on earth. As he is plummeting into a seemingly bottomless pit, he does not say ‘dear god no,’ ‘I love you mom,’ or even simply ‘argh.’ He instead takes the moment to reaffirm to the world, in spite of their doubts, that he is not a homosexual. Not only that, but he continues to sing, despite falling to his certain death. The distinct lack of plausibility of this situation is what produces giggles from our mouth. It is the antithesis to the belief that ‘it’s funny because it is true.’
"

#67 Elia Isquire

Elia Isquire

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 09:46 PM

Very surprised to see so many pick Paul, at least in the postings if not the poll. I love the Beatles and thus cherish both, but fuck it's not even a contest. If I were to make my 10 favorite Beatles songs--those tracks that really mattered to me--I'd guess Paul wouldn't be able to lay claim to more than 3 songs. And solo-wise, they both, overall, made shit records after starting off strong. But Paul's shitty records and good records had something in common--unfuckingbelievably vapid, shallow, and hollow. Always pleasant, and always acutely unsatisfying. Lennon's first two post-Beatles solo LPs, on the other hand, while not perfect, make me feel like I'm actually listening to something.
Posted Image

#68 thundering boredom

thundering boredom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

Very surprised to see so many pick Paul, at least in the postings if not the poll.

I love the Beatles and thus cherish both, but fuck it's not even a contest.

If I were to make my 10 favorite Beatles songs--those tracks that really mattered to me--I'd guess Paul wouldn't be able to lay claim to more than 3 songs.

And solo-wise, they both, overall, made shit records after starting off strong. But Paul's shitty records and good records had something in common--unfuckingbelievably vapid, shallow, and hollow. Always pleasant, and always acutely unsatisfying. Lennon's first two post-Beatles solo LPs, on the other hand, while not perfect, make me feel like I'm actually listening to something.

Listen to What the Man Said.

Post-Beatles McCartney is almost bad enough to undo the greatness of what he did with the Beatles.

Good lord ... Let 'Em In, Coming Up, Silly Love Songs, With a Little Luck, Wonderful Chritsmastime, Ebony and Ivory, The Girl Is Mine, Say Say Say ...

It's all crap crap crap.

Hello Goodbye and Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da were bad, but jeez. Guy hit whole new levels after the break-up.
I'm a nonconformist, too!

#69 Ent

Ent

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

i refuse to vote, they are both geniuses.

What he said.

#70 Mike N.

Mike N.

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:21 AM

It think they should make a deathmatch MTV style.

#71 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 03:56 AM

Man, people bring up all the shit McCartney songs and act as though Lennon never put out crap.

After Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, the guy never put out another decent album, and even those two aren't really musical watersheds. They're good, but by no means are they brilliant. Mind Games? Title track aside, that's as bad, if not worse, that McCartney's lowest points.

McCartney wins because he never turned into a preachy wanker. Well, not to the Lennon levels anyway.

McCartney wins because he never posed with his cock out on an album next to some pancake tits.

McCartney wins because he seems to consider that it was fucking cool to be a Beatle. Lennon, from everything I've heard and read, almost resented the fact he was a Beatle.

But above all, Lennon loses because at a certain point in the history of the Beatles (probably around 65 or 66?) ceased to be everything he had been before. Look at old interviews and he was the class fuckin' clown, having a laugh left, right and centre. Then all of a sudden it was though he was walking around with a big fuckin' set of antlers up his ass.

Lennon reached a point where he suddenly went from the coolest Beatle to sub-Ringo. Dude turned into a real prick.

#72 Elia Isquire

Elia Isquire

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:03 AM

Nah.

And Plastic Ono Band is great.

And whether John became any more moody, narcissistic and difficult than he was before--doubt it--one word I would never associate with Macca (better or worse) is "cool."
Posted Image

#73 flinchy17

flinchy17

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 04:08 AM

I always felt that Plastic Ono Band was one of the most emotional albums I've ever heard and would prefer that over Paul's more pop oriented material, but that's just personal preference. I remember the first time I heard Mother and thought "holy fucking shit."

#74 flinchy17

flinchy17

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:19 AM

Oh yeah.

Why did I think Why don't we do it in the Road was a Lennon song. What the fuck was I thinking?

There's a Lennon song in my mind I confused this with.

BOTR = great song. And, yes it musically body slams anything by Lennon solo.

Maybe you're thinking of Lennon's "Old Dirt Road" from Walls and Bridges.

http://www.allmusic....10:g9fexql5ldae

#75 kessler

kessler

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2044 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

Man, people bring up all the shit McCartney songs and act as though Lennon never put out crap.

After Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, the guy never put out another decent album, and even those two aren't really musical watersheds. They're good, but by no means are they brilliant. Mind Games? Title track aside, that's as bad, if not worse, that McCartney's lowest points.

McCartney wins because he never turned into a preachy wanker. Well, not to the Lennon levels anyway.

McCartney wins because he never posed with his cock out on an album next to some pancake tits.

McCartney wins because he seems to consider that it was fucking cool to be a Beatle. Lennon, from everything I've heard and read, almost resented the fact he was a Beatle.

But above all, Lennon loses because at a certain point in the history of the Beatles (probably around 65 or 66?) ceased to be everything he had been before. Look at old interviews and he was the class fuckin' clown, having a laugh left, right and centre. Then all of a sudden it was though he was walking around with a big fuckin' set of antlers up his ass.

Lennon reached a point where he suddenly went from the coolest Beatle to sub-Ringo. Dude turned into a real prick.

Terrible.

k

#76 kessler

kessler

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2044 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:24 AM

Name one McCartney solo or Wings song that was better than Lennon's "Imagine."

"Imagine" would qualify as maybe a fourth-tier Beatles song. The word treacly was coined about 20 minutes after Lennon finished composing this song.

k

#77 waveswithin

waveswithin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

Lennon for me. Can't ever see McCartney writing anything as good as Strawberry Fields, or Lennon writing something as bad as Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I don't like either of their solo stuff, but as far as The Beatles go, Lennon wrote much the better songs. I too prefer Harrison to both of them, My Sweet Lord and All Those Years Ago are better than any solo songs by the others, and All Things Must Pass is an amazing album.

#78 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

Terrible.

k

Worth a shot :)

Lennon was a douche.

#79 Mike N.

Mike N.

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:14 AM

Lennon writing something as bad as Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

It's a good tune. What's the problem?! :unsure:

#80 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

Ya know i didn't even consider their solo output when making my choice. In the grand scheme of things their solo work is of very little importance to anyone.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."