1550 replies to this topic

#761 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:11 AM

tigermilk is actually 95. it was recorded and released in 95, albeit before they had a record deal. when they signed with jeepster their first proper LP (sinister) was released, with a rerelease of tigermilk following shortly afterward.

#762 Northern Voice

Northern Voice

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

Posted Image

Wow, pretty much impossible for me not to judge this by its cover.
http://www.last.fm/user/NorthernVoice

June 8 - R.E.M. / Modest Mouse / The National - Molson Amphitheatre (Toronto)
Sept. 26 - Plants and Animals - Montreal House (Peterborough)
Oct. 31 - Sam Roberts - Showplace (Peterborough)
Nov. 7 - AC/DC - Rogers Centre (Toronto)
Nov. 11 - The Hold Steady / Drive By Truckers - The Phoenix (Toronto)
Nov. 29 - Constantines - Montreal House (Peterborough)
Dec. 4 - Neil Young / Wilco - Air Canada Centre (Toronto)
Jan 23 - The Killers / M83 - Air Canada Centre (Toronto)
Mar. 7 - Sloan - Montreal House (Peterborough)

#763 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:28 AM

tigermilk is actually 95. it was recorded and released in 95, albeit before they had a record deal. when they signed with jeepster their first proper LP (sinister) was released, with a rerelease of tigermilk following shortly afterward.

ah, no. It was recorded in March 1996 and released in June 1996. (For bonus nerd points, Stuart Murdoch met Isobel Campbell at a party on Jan. 1, 1996.)

#764 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:28 AM

Posted Image

yeah, not the most flattering cover, exactly. Seems better fitted to an Information Society LP.

Still, you'd be a damn fool to let that stop you from listening to the best album of the last fifteen years or so.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#765 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

ah, no. It was recorded in March 1996 and released in June 1996. (For bonus nerd points, Stuart Murdoch met Isobel Campbell at a party on Jan. 1, 1996.)

you sure? i always thought that tigermilk was recorded and released in 95 and then given wide rerelease after sinister, but i could be an idiot.

#766 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:36 AM

you sure? i always thought that tigermilk was recorded and released in 95 and then given wide rerelease after sinister, but i could be an idiot.

It hardly makes you an idiot, but yes I'm sure. Tigermilk was released in June 96 on vinyl (1,000 copies) by Electric Honey, then re-released in 1999 on Jeepster.

#767 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

Posted Image

yeah, not the most flattering cover, exactly. Seems better fitted to an Information Society LP.

Still, you'd be a damn fool to let that stop you from listening to the best album of the last fifteen years or so.

i finally picked this up a few weeks ago used, and it has been in steady rotation since then, just a fantastic album.
Posted Image

#768 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

intriguing
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#769 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

#99.

Posted Image

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Year
: 1998

US Chart Position: #21 Heatseeker

UK Chart Position: #12

Charting Singles: "Last Stop: This Town" (#40 Modern Rock US)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: n/a (Bubbling Under)

AMG Says: "The Eels' second release, Electro-Shock Blues, is a much darker album than their underrated debut, 1996's Beautiful Freak, but just as rewarding. Singer/guitarist/songwriter E experienced many upheavals in his personal life between albums (the passing of several family members and close friends), and decided to work his way through life's tribulations via his music. The result is a spectacular epic work, easily on par with such classic albums cut from the same cloth -- Neil Young's Tonight's the Night, Lou Reed's Magic and Loss. For some of the most introspective and haunting tunes of recent times, look no further than the title track, "Last Stop: This Town," and "Elizabeth on the Bathroom Floor." And although the lyrics deal almost entirely with mortality, the music for "Hospital Food," "Cancer for the Cure," and "Going to Your Funeral, Pt. 1" is comparable to Beck's funky noise, while "Efils' God," "The Medication Is Wearing Off," and "My Descent Into Madness" are all ethereal, soothing compositions. One of the finest and fully realized records of 1998, a must-hear."

Ranked Highest By: Pavement Ist Rad & Rocks and Blows (#1)

Amazon Link

#770 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

Whoa, when I saw In Sides was Bill's number one, I honestly thought to myself, "Shit, ESB can't be far off. It's probably next." Honest.

Cool to see it in the top 100.

EDIT: Also, don't anyone bother debating with Scott over B&S album release dates. Dude wrote a danged book about said band.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#771 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:50 AM

#98.

Posted Image

Kylie Minogue - Fever

Year
: 2001

US Chart Position: #3

UK Chart Position: #1

Charting Singles: "Can't Get You Out of My Head" (#7 / #1 Dance US, #1 UK), "Love at First Sight" (#23 / #1 Dance US, #2 UK), "Come Into My World" (#91 / #20 Dance US, #8 UK), "In Your Eyes" (#3 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #52 (year), #345 (decade), #2866 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Fame can be a fleeting mistress, and nowhere more so than in the land of dance-pop divas. Many are lucky enough to have a hit album, much less two or three. What usually takes a one-hit wonder from the singles charts to career diva lies less in catchy hooks than in a combination of talent and the choice of collaborators. Obviously, the master of this technique is Madonna, whose talent and eye for talent in others has made her not only a worldwide pop sensation, but a worldwide icon. Arguably, running a close second is Kylie Minogue. Starting off as not much more than a female voice for the massively successful Stock, Aitken & Waterman hit factory, she moved on to work with some of the most prominent dance producers of the early '90s, making her one of the most visible pop stars outside of the United States. By 1997, she moved on to working with writers outside the genre. While this may have translated into poor record sales, her motives were in the right place. With 2001's Fever, Minogue combines the disco-diva comeback of the previous year's Light Years with the trend of highly simple dance rhythms which was prevalent in the teen dance-pop craze of the years surrounding the album's release. While on the surface that might seem like an old dog trying to learn new tricks, Minogue pulls it off with surprising ease. The first single, "Cant Get You out of My Head," is a sparse, mid-tempo dance number that pulses and grooves like no other she's recorded, and nothing on Light Years was as funky as the pure disco closer of "Burning Up." And while it's hard not to notice her tipping her hat to the teen pop sound (in fact, on this record she works with Cathy Dennis, former dance-pop star and writer/producer for Brit teen pop group S Club 7) on songs like "Give It to Me" and "Love at First Sight," her maturity helps transcend this limiting tag, making this a very stylish Euro-flavored dance-pop record that will appeal to all ages. Not one weak track, not one misplaced syrupy ballad to ruin the groove. The winning streak continues."

Ranked Highest By: Ben (#1) (also ranked #2 by Deej and Ladytron: The TV Series)

Amazon Link

#772 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

A Ghost Is Born can win now for all I care; I'm just happy that Sun Kil Moon made it into the top 130.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#773 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:56 AM

AGIB already placed, luckily

#774 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:56 AM

#98.

Posted Image

Kylie Minogue - Fever

Year: 2001

What's next, the Backstreet Boys?

This is the kind of shit you would pretend to like just so you could hook up with that girl in the bar.

Scene: Smoky bar around 2 AM in Chicago, "Can't Get you Out of My Head" playing through the speakers loudly. We see a pretty brunette girl with a raspy bar voice a bit sweaty from the humidity looking around the bar, moving a bit to the song (the club was too cheap to turn the air conditioning on). The brunette girl approaches the tall guy who is trying to act cool.

brunette girl: Hey, how is it going? (she takes drink from her beer)

tall guy: Not bad how about yourself? Are you having fun tonight? (he looks down at his feet, rocks side to side slightly)

brunette girl: I'm having an ok time. My friends took off though and I can't find them (twirls hair and smiles)

tall guy Do you want me to help you find them? It can get pretty messed up around here at night. Security isn't that great.

brunette girl: Yeah, that would be really nice of you. I want to finish this beer though , and leave after this song. I like it *alot*(drops her chin down and smiles thinking she is acting flirty)

tall guy: Yeah, I like it too.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#775 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:59 AM

AGIB already placed, luckily

oh

pretend I said something about the Twilight Singers

#776 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

#97.

Posted Image

My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves

Year
: 2003

US Chart Position: #121

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #21 (year), #164 (decade), #1322 (all-time)

AMG Says: "It's a beautiful thing to know that Brian Wilson is still alive and well in the kingdom of indie rock. My Morning Jacket's third full-length effort, and first for the ATO/RCA venture label, is a step beyond the band's work for Darla. While the gorgeous amalgam of the Band's vision of country/Americana and Neil Young's blend of folk and rock are everywhere present, there is a new textural awareness evident on It Still Moves. Jim James' songwriting is tighter in structure, but his production sensibility is early-'70s Laurel Canyon, with some of the Grateful Dead's American Beauty tropes as well. Sounds like a mess, doesn't it? Well, it's not. Wearing your influences on your sleeve doesn't mean unoriginality. James is an original songwriter; he has worked hard to develop the gifts inherent in his lyric concerns and his ability to paint emotional landscapes with his melodies, and the payoff has never been greater. "Mahgeetah," with its Pet Sounds ambience and country-rock melody -- complete with fuzzed-out guitar solo -- is far more imaginative than anything Wilco ever pulled off by trying the same thing (which they do over and over ad nauseam). "Dancefloors," with its biting Telecaster lead line that echoes "Baby Don't Do It" and the Stray Gators' country majesty, is full of warmth, depth, and Levon Helm's soul. And "Golden," which is the third track in this opening triad, brings James' love of Tim Buckley and Fred Neil into the light. But all of these elements of construction are read through James' Kentucky and his unique melodic gift, where fragments becomes entire lines become songs with stunning bridges, achingly poetic lyrics, and a country boy's sense of whacked-out humor and tenderness (check out "One Big Holiday"). The horn arrangements on "Easy Morning Rebel" make the country shuffle into a near R&B tune with an old-timey stroll through a shambolic rhythm track. In all, My Morning Jacket may be a journey through the past, but it's also a solid step into something rock & roll has been missing for an awfully long time in the mainstream arena: melody, extremely catchy and well-written songs that aren't afraid of the mainstream, and a love of the great pop continuum that translates into something new."

Ranked Highest By: Killerparties (#8)

Amazon Link

#777 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:04 AM

Scarily enough, I think I've listened to every album on the list at least once.

#778 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:11 AM

never heard that MMJ, for some reason any good?

#779 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

"Mahgeetah" is very, very good. You've heard it in some beer commercial. The rest of the album isn't too bad either.

#780 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

It's pretty spectacular.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson