1550 replies to this topic

#61 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

pretty much any dance or minimal electronic music, country music, and - frankly - most hip-hop from the era.

A few albums from the MTV Amp groups aside, this is pretty much right.

I tried in vein to get people to download one, just one Isolee single but there were no takers.

I love Wearemonster, is the first one as good?
Well cool on the web like Spiderman.

#62 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

edit: actually, hate might be the vote-splitter. it's the one that first got them a lot of u.s. attention, sadly enough

really? i thought the great eastern was the one that really broke them into the US since it was mercury-nominated. i remember there being a serious gap between hate's release in the UK and US. i thought that'd kinda hurt it. either way, i think we can all agree that this is a good band who hopefully has one album on this list. for the record, i voted for both the great eastern and hate.

#63 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

If Pulp wins this too, Iwill be very upset. Seriously, does anyone else not like them?

#64 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

edit: actually, hate might be the vote-splitter. it's the one that first got them a lot of u.s. attention, sadly enough

really? i thought the great eastern was the one that really broke them into the US since it was mercury-nominated. i remember there being a serious gap between hate's release in the UK and US. i thought that'd kinda hurt it. either way, i think we can all agree that this is a good band who hopefully has one album on this list. for the record, i voted for both the great eastern and hate.

you're probably right. Hate was the first one that was anticipated in the U.S., which inflates a record's reviews upon its release but wouldn't make much of a difference in a poll like this, assuming Americans eventually went back and heard TGE at some point.

#65 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

i don't mind pulp i have different class. it's a fine record in a retro (would you call it?) brit pop way. but i just never have the desire to put it on and listen to it from the begining to the end.

#66 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

If Pulp wins this too, Iwill be very upset.

Seriously, does anyone else not like them?

I like them quite a bit - but they are not "#1" material.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#67 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

pretty much any dance or minimal electronic music, country music, and - frankly - most hip-hop from the era.

A few albums from the MTV Amp groups aside, this is pretty much right.

I tried in vein to get people to download one, just one Isolee single but there were no takers.

I love Wearemonster, is the first one as good?

get the new compilation by isolee. it's rather good.

#68 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

The Great Eastern was definitely the U.S. breakthrough for the Delgados.

#69 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

i don't mind pulp
i have different class. it's a fine record in a retro (would you call it?) brit pop way. but i just never have the desire to put it on and listen to it from the begining to the end.

I agree with 100% of this comment.

And Mitchell, I'd love to hear about your connection to Pilkington... listened to that podcast until it stopped being free, and it was the best half hour of my week. I may have to start a thread for this...

#70 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10088 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

::::raises hand::::

#71 Rocks And Blows

Rocks And Blows

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:58 PM

I dont think I've ever heard a Pulp album. I like some Joe Jackson and I'm pretty sure he was their singer. The local library has a great selection of shit so I should probably rent something from them, any suggestions? I voted for "Common People" in the singles poll, only it was the William Shatner version. I guess this post means my votes wont count as much in the year end list.

#72 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:19 PM

I dont think I've ever heard a Pulp album. I like some Joe Jackson and I'm pretty sure he was their singer.

how did you get to this?

#73 Rocks And Blows

Rocks And Blows

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:25 PM

I dont think I've ever heard a Pulp album. I like some Joe Jackson and I'm pretty sure he was their singer.

how did you get to this?

lol, I have no fucking clue, I thought he sang background on the Shatner "Common People". Their is this thing Google, and Wikipedia, maybe I should use thoose more often before making dumb ass posts.

EDIT: The first time I heard "Common People" Ben Folds and Shatner were on Stern. I thought Folds made a refrence to Joe Jackson being backing vocals and that Jackson wrote the song.

#74 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:33 PM

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Can Be Most Easily Found On: Hail to the Thief

I'd hope so

Good to see this out of the way so quickly. Also kind of neat to see them nearly bookend the Top 250

#75 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:42 PM

how did you get to this?

lol, I have no fucking clue, I thought he sang background on the Shatner "Common People". Their is this thing Google, and Wikipedia, maybe I should use thoose more often before making dumb ass posts.

EDIT: The first time I heard "Common People" Ben Folds and Shatner were on Stern. I thought Folds made a refrence to Joe Jackson being backing vocals and that Jackson wrote the song.

ah, i see. yeah, joe jackson was in on that "common people" abortion, but, as i'm sure you've discovered, jarvis cocker is pulp's singer and main songwriter. and, really, i think he's one of the best storytellers in music over the last fifteen years.

#76 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

Dig the twist

#246.

Posted Image

Liars - They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top

Year
: 2002

US Chart Position: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #30 (year), #183 (decade), #1479 (all-time)

AMG Says: "The debut LP from Brooklyn's Liars is a churning collection of jerky punk rock, funk grooves, and computerized mayhem that oddly enough comes off quite charming. With sufficiently angular guitars, British-tinged vocals, and a truly pummeling bass presence, the group rocks with phenomenal energy and absolutely no restraint. The half-hour-long closer, "The Dust That Makes the Mud," collapses into a puzzlingly repetitive, sample-ridden hip-hop beat that ends things on a bizarre note, but the lead-up is pure rock & roll, complete with the attitude and aggression that makes for a great listen. Liars have a surprisingly unique approach that distinguishes them from other groups in their willingness to experiment with different tones, volumes, and styles, all of which make They Threw Us in a Trench and Stuck a Monument On an astounding debut. Catchy group vocals are all over the disc, and just about every chorus is instantly memorable yet still somewhat pummeling. The use of digital sounds and beats only adds to the unique properties of the record, giving it a feel somewhat akin to later Les Savy Fav records, only with a much more punk-fueled sound. Liars are something special, and when a young band puts out a record like this it is hard not to pay attention. Where they'll go from here is impossible to guess, but with a band this hyperactively creative, that seems to be the point."

Ranked Highest By: Gil-Scott Heroin (#7)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#77 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

love the last track of that album

#78 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

this is one of my most-despised albums ever...

and this was just the icing on the hate cake.

#79 Ben

Ben

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

"mister, you're on fire, mister" is pretty great.
No, I'm Alpha Male.

#80 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:26 PM

this is one of my most-despised albums ever...

and this was just the icing on the hate cake.

i don't even want to think about your attitude towards drum's not dead. you hate it, don't you?