1550 replies to this topic

#1061 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:31 AM

Good start, but next time you should encourage them to buy Pavement instead of Sleater-Kinney

Pavement, Schmavement.

S-K were miles better, and had more balls.

Man, 2002 was the year of years.

It was the year of mediocrity, Tobin and Xinli aside.

Posted Image

#1062 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

2002 was the best year of the decade if you are me.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#1063 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:37 AM

I'm intrigued - what is your top ten from 2002? At a push, I'd go with 2001 as my favourite year.

Posted Image

#1064 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

man talk about two overrated albums in a row. Wow.

I love this Acclaimed Music ranking thing

you do not know of what you speak
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1065 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:08 AM

guys, the other streets album will make it for sure

2002 was the best year of the decade if you are me.

On the whole, 2001 was the best year of the decade-- and it was the most "exciting" at the time. It had the most going on, it was the most interesting, lots of different sounds going on at once, lots of big releases and top artists and big stars at their peaks etc.

#1066 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

Think it's pretty sad that the first appearance of Billy Bragg on any album or single list so far is with Wilco. Still keeping it quite varied at the moment.

Don't blame me. I did my part w/ Life's a Riot with Spy Vs Spy and Brewing Up with Billy Bragg. You all suck for not doing yours.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#1067 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

Think it's pretty sad that the first appearance of Billy Bragg on any album or single list so far is with Wilco. Still keeping it quite varied at the moment.

Don't blame me. I did my part w/ Life's a Riot with Spy Vs Spy and Brewing Up with Billy Bragg. You all suck for not doing yours.

I'm sure there's some quasi-votesplitting going on, too. I voted for Worker's Playtime the last time around, but never really got into his other full-lengths.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#1068 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:59 AM

i'm thrilled that sigur ros disk made it.

Wintertime is coming...I plan to dust this one off in weeks ahead.

If SOMB made a list of "Wintertime" albums, this would be top 5, if not #1. Play it late at night, sitting in a comfy chair with a warm blanket wrapped around you.

[b]#79.
Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

(991 Points, 14 Votes)

Too much of a good thing, compared to f#a#infinite. :( This one had more "enough already!" listening comments from me, sadly.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#1069 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

I myself don't know where it places (revealing the list to myself as we go, I know what won but little else), but three #1s doesn't mean shit when it comes to the top 20, that barely even gets you 1/6 of the points needed to place an album that high. I'd think you guys would have learned this by now.

Easy there!. This kind of comes across as condescending. It clearly had not only 3 #1's but a bunch of other votes as well. Would your response be so harsh if we were talking about the Orbital album?
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#1070 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:51 AM

see, what'd I tell you. List tails off at #65.

F that noise. XO is up nice and high where it belongs. Gorgeous album.

Yup. As is Dig Me Out.

#62.

Posted Image

Great record. Rob has very good taste.

Posted Image

An even better record. This one is a bit too low, deserves a top 30 at least. Probably the best guitar solo on this list with "Funny Bird". Truly a great piece. And how killer is Goddess On a Highway? An original masterwork (yeah ok there are a couple of very obvious Beatles moments).

Nice to see some music with some space to it on the list.

Both masterpieces. F'ing great albums. 65-60= best run of albums yet.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#1071 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:52 AM

I myself don't know where it places (revealing the list to myself as we go, I know what won but little else), but three #1s doesn't mean shit when it comes to the top 20, that barely even gets you 1/6 of the points needed to place an album that high. I'd think you guys would have learned this by now.

Easy there!. This kind of comes across as condescending. It clearly had not only 3 #1's but a bunch of other votes as well. Would your response be so harsh if we were talking about the Orbital album?

It would go top 20 on Sickpup's method.

#1072 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13306 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:56 AM

What the shit is Amnesiac doing that high? I kind of expected it not to place at all once HTTT came that low, man.

Yeah that is a shocker, considering how polarising HTTT is. Is Amnesiac really better than HTTT, anyone? :huh:

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#1073 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:57 AM

At the risk of offending the delicate sensibilities of mitchell and gdb, I'd like to point out that my top 6 records have failed to place so far, and I'm pretty much resigned to none of them showing up on the list. 13 of the records I voted for have shown up so far (I think). It's fairly clear to me that montana is correct in his assessment of the board's taste for the country influenced artists, by the fact that artists like Gillian Welch, Steve Earle, Patty Griffin, Alejandro Escovedo, Bobby Bare, Jr., Tim O'Brien, Emmylou Harris, and more are going to be completely left out of this rather extensive list. I'm probably equally disappointed at the lack of Solomon Burke and Sam Phillips, however. And yeah, Car Wheels is a great record. should be higher, imo.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#1074 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:57 AM

Dr. Bill is unbelievably wrong about Supreme Clientele. Don't listen to him.
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#1075 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

At the risk of offending the delicate sensibilities of mitchell and gdb, I'd like to point out that my top 6 records have failed to place so far, and I'm pretty much resigned to none of them showing up on the list. 13 of the records I voted for have shown up so far (I think).

Don't act you are the only one though, for someone under 25 (despite my nationality) I've been lucky if 5 of my top ten albums/singles have appeared on the last two era's.

#1076 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

At the risk of offending the delicate sensibilities of mitchell and gdb, I'd like to point out that my top 6 records have failed to place so far, and I'm pretty much resigned to none of them showing up on the list. 13 of the records I voted for have shown up so far (I think).

Don't act you are the only one though, for someone under 25 (despite my nationality) I've been lucky if 5 of my top ten albums/singles have appeared on the last two era's.

oh, I know I'm not the only one. Just pointing out the facts. I'm fairly sure dj's list is equally underrepresented (and many others).
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#1077 killerparties

killerparties

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1876 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:07 AM

Dr. Bill is unbelievably wrong about Supreme Clientele. Don't listen to him.

seconded
Posted Image

#1078 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

It's fairly clear to me that montana is correct in his assessment of the board's taste for the country influenced artists, by the fact that artists like Gillian Welch, Steve Earle, Patty Griffin, Alejandro Escovedo, and more are going to be completely left out of this rather extensive list. I'm probably equally disappointed at the lack of Solomon Burke and Sam Phillips, however.

it makes sense, but Montana was speaking of a hatred of alt country on the board.
which just isn't true. I'm an ambient music fan, and about two albums have placed
in that category, I think. I don't look at it as a bad thing at all, necessarily.
plenty of other genres get left off SOMB lists, too. Jazz and World music, for example.
it sucks but doesn't mean there is a 'hatred' for these genres (pockets of people like some
alt country on the board, ambient, and jazz) but it just isn't the cream of their crop so to
speak, and these lists serve to elaborate that.

#1079 Rob Gordon

Rob Gordon

sha la la, man

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8663 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

I'm sure there's some quasi-votesplitting going on, too. I voted for Worker's Playtime the last time around, but never really got into his other full-lengths.

well, Greeting to The New Brunette was way high on my singles list
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1080 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

Love Bragg. I voted for Spy and William Bloke. Don't Try this at Home was in my top 10 in the last decade. Guy's seriously underrated here, along with Robyn Hitchcock.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!