1550 replies to this topic

#101 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

Calexico's sound aint easy to explain. Sort of Air/Portishead/Flaming Lips/Some really happy bands spliced in.

Good stuff, though.

I don't hear any of those comparison's in Calexico, but we at least agree to like their music.

Well none of them are dead on, I've just always found it impossible to explain what they're like. I hear all sorts of shit they sound nothing like in them for some reason, like Coco Rosie.
Well cool on the web like Spiderman.

#102 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Good to see that we have now had two albums released since 2K on the chart.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#103 Hans Christian Anderson

Hans Christian Anderson

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4919 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

yeah i don't hear any portishead, air or flaming lips in calexico.

they sound like the american southwest. take that for what its worth.

If Pulp wins this too, Iwill be very upset.

Seriously, does anyone else not like them?

pulp's never really done a lot for me either. to be fair though, i definitely haven't heard enough of their stuff.

#104 Mantana

Mantana

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1950 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

love the last track of that album

After 15 minutes of it, they yelled at me and made me turn it off at work 3 years ago.

#105 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:20 AM

Surely people can hear Portishead in Black Heart, at least.

#106 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:27 PM

#238.

Posted Image

Dungen - Ta Det Lugnt

Year
: 2004

US Chart Position: #4 World

UK Chart Position: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #35 (year), #200 (decade), #1584 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Psychedelic rock has seen a number of revivals since its heyday in the late '60s. Often times, these bands sound like they're simply aping the influences they wear so prominently on their sleeves. Dungen, on the other hand, sound like they've somehow been directly transported from 1968 to the present. Maybe it's their vintage equipment, or maybe it's the fact that most listeners probably haven't heard much Swedish-language psychedelia for comparison, but this doesn't have the second- or third-generation rehashed flavor that so many modern psychsters can't avoid. There's a pungent aroma of, um, authenticity here that other bands haven't been able to match, from the wicked fuzz guitar to the organ and flute workouts. There are some great psych-pop moments throughout, and these melodies are likely to stick in your head even if Swedish isn't your language, but there are also detours into some pretty serious hard-psych territory as well as flute-led hippie free jazz and even some Swedish folk flavors (like the intro to "Du E För Fin För Mig"). There is little studio trickery beyond some simple tape echo, but the acid-colored vibes come through loud and clear. Gustav Ejstes (the one-man band behind Dungen) has an incredible knack for a great tune, an ear for production, and then the ability to perform all the parts and still sound like a band. Guitar ringer Reine Fiske has one of the gnarliest fuzz tones ever heard and contributes excellent raw lead guitar all over, particularly on the title cut and "Gjort Bort Sig" or when the acoustic guitar, fiddle, and Mellotron of "Du E För Fin För Mig" suddenly switch to a blistering electric coda. Ta Det Lugnt clearly evokes another time and headspace, but there's an underlying passion that keeps it sounding fresh (much like when the Bevis Frond appeared in the late '80s). Put on your ear-goggles and head back to the late '60s."

Ranked Highest By: Dano (#20)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#107 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

Speaking of Garbage how "Happy When It Rains" finished above "Milk" and "Stupid Girl" is a mystery.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#108 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

Dungen album is at least 200 places too low. Pretty shocked to see it finish so low here seeing as this board is what hipped me to them.

#109 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

considering that "ta det lunngt" is nothing but a collection of musical references to 60s-70s rock with only exception that it's sung in non english language, i think it's palcement is about right if not too high.

#110 Eskimo kisses

Eskimo kisses

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

Most of the albums on this list or any list will clearly be inspired by other stuff. TDL is an awesome collection of past influences.

#111 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8907 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

I heard the first half of it and liked it.

#112 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:48 PM

i keep going back to "Ta Det Lugnt." much more than a lot of other albums from the past 5 years. i think it's unique, beautiful & catchy as hell....plus it rocks. like a lot of bands from the past 10 years, Dungen is BETTER than most of its influences, but apparently the superficial comparisons to older bands and the swedish thing are huge obstacles for people. i should have voted it higher, because i now think it's one of the 10 best albums of the '00s.

#113 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

i should have voted it higher, because i now think it's one of the 10 best albums of the '00s.

:o

#114 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

i should have voted it higher, because i now think it's one of the 10 best albums of the '00s.

:o

yup. better than that droning piece of shit, Drum's Not Dead

#115 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

i don't think there's much drone on that record. at least it sounds different from the most music that was released this year. but, whatever.

#116 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

#237.

Posted Image

Sonic Youth - Murray Street

Year
: 2002

US Chart Position: #126

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #25 (year), #153 (decade), #1243 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Virtually every album Sonic Youth has released since the underrated Goo has been hailed as a return to form. However, Murray Street, their second collaboration with Jim O'Rourke (and their first with him as a full member of the group), not only recalls their past glories but explores new territory. Freed from the trendy agendas that marred A Thousand Leaves and NYC Ghosts & Flowers, the group revisits the complex, transcendent guitar epics that made them underground rock heroes in the first place. But Murray Street doesn't just rehash the sound of their late-'80s heyday, either; for the most part, epics like the '60s-tinged "The Empty Page" and "Rain on Tin" -- which sounds a bit like a rural cousin to Television's "Marquee Moon" -- are built on surprisingly clean, crisp guitar tones that only explode into occasional noise-storms. Indeed, the guitar work on the album's first three tracks is both economical and sensual, a feast of textures and counterpoints that never sounds overdone. Murray Street's wonderfully natural yet intricate sound is O'Rourke's most distinctive contribution to the group; while his work with Smog and Wilco pushed those groups to be more experimental and eclectic, with Sonic Youth he seems to give those tendencies focus and balance. Even the hypnotic drones at the end of "Karen Revisited," the album's noisy, oddly romantic centerpiece, have a unique precision and clarity. Murray Street's first four songs rank among the most consistent, and consistently exciting, work in Sonic Youth's career, so much so that the album's shorter, more rock-oriented songs feel a bit anticlimactic. "Plastic Sun," a Kim Gordon-sung rant, feels particularly out of keeping with the rest of Murray Street's warm, expansive tone; "Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style" is a typical Sonic Youth rocker that suffers merely from not being as good as the first half of the album. Closing with the serenely sexy "Sympathy for the Strawberry," Murray Street reaffirms that at the group's best, Sonic Youth manages to sound fresh and timeless all at once."

Ranked Highest By: Elemeno P.T. (#39)

Amazon Link

#117 dano

dano

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1130 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:11 PM

Dungen album is at least 200 places too low. Pretty shocked to see it finish so low here seeing as this board is what hipped me to them.

It probably suffered from people forgetting it was an '04 release. I remember it getting a lot of '05 year end votes.

#118 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

It probably suffered from people forgetting it was an '04 release. I remember it getting a lot of '05 year end votes.

Yeah, that was the big reason it didn't make my list.

A fine album, no question.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#119 Mantana

Mantana

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1950 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

yeah i don't hear any portishead, air or flaming lips in calexico.

they sound like the american southwest. take that for what its worth.

No Flaming Lips comparison at all. But more of a southwestern style, yeah. A great soundtrack for sneaking across the border.

#120 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

#236.

Posted Image

Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor

Year
: 1995

US Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #26 (year), #278 (decade), #1437 (all-time)

AMG Says: "Sleater-Kinney's masterful sophomore effort Call the Doctor fulfills all the promise of the group's debut and more, forging taut melodicism and jaw-dropping sonic complexity out of barbed-wire emotional potency. The emergence of Carrie Brownstein as an equal shareholder in Corin Tucker's vision is the key -- her four contributions (particularly "Stay Where You Are" and "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone") are stellar, while her harmonies complete Tucker's equally superb lead turns by reading between the lines to verbalize the naked aggression at the core of the songs' polemic power. Forget the riot grrrl implications inherent in the trio's music -- Call the Doctor is pure, undiluted punk, and it's brilliant."

Ranked Highest By: Jase (#9)

Amazon Link