Posted Image

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One

(2205 Points, 32 Votes, One #1 Vote)

Year
: 1997

US Chart Position: #19 Heatseeker

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #14 (year), #105 (decade), #588 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #121

AMG Says: "Functioning as a virtual catalog of mid-'90s indie rock trends, I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One is an astonishing tour de force from Yo La Tengo, establishing their deep talents as songwriters and musicians. Although the album may run a little long for some tastes, there are very few throwaways on the record -- even the shoegazer cover of the Beach Boys' "Little Honda" is a revelatory gem. But what truly impresses is the way the songs, ranging from hypnotically droning instrumentals to tightly written and catchy pop songs, hold together to form what is arguably Yo La Tengo's finest and most coherent album to date."

Ranked Highest By: Jasmine (#1) (also ranked #3 by Stphone and #4 by Elastico)

Amazon Link
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#1302 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

Did Fever show up already?

It must've. My head would explode if that made the top 20. Once again, a pretty good album, but didn't think it had a chance of top 20.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#1303 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

Did Fever show up already?

#98 I think

#17.

Posted Image

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

(2290 Points, 39 Votes)

Year
: 2001

US Chart Position: #61 / #28 Independent

Charting Singles: "Fell in Love With a Girl" (#12 Modern Rock US, #21 UK), "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" (#19 Modern Rock US, #25 UK), "Hotel Yorba" (#26 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #2 (year), #10 (decade), #140 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #194

AMG Says: "Despite the seemingly instant attention surrounding them -- glowing write-ups in glossy magazines like Rolling Stone and Mojo, guest lists boasting names like Kate Hudson and Chris Robinson, and appearances on national TV -- the White Stripes have stayed true to the approach that brought them this success in the first place. White Blood Cells, Jack and Meg White's third effort for Sympathy for the Record Industry, wraps their powerful, deceptively simple style around meditations on fame, love, and betrayal. As produced by Doug Easley, it sounds exactly how an underground sensation's breakthrough album should: bigger and tighter than their earlier material, but not so polished that it will scare away longtime fans. Admittedly, White Blood Cells lacks some of the White Stripes' blues influence and urgency, but it perfects the pop skills the duo honed on De Stijl and expands on them. The country-tinged "Hotel Yorba" and immediate, crazed garage pop of "Fell in Love With a Girl" define the album's immediacy, along with the folky, McCartney-esque "We're Going to Be Friends," a charming, school-days love song that's among Jack White's finest work. However, White's growth as a songwriter shines through on virtually every track, from the cocky opener "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground" to vicious indictments like "The Union Forever" and "I Think I Smell a Rat." "Same Boy You've Always Known" and "Offend in Every Way" are two more quintessential tracks, offering up more of the group's stomping riffs and rhythms and us-against-the-world attitude. Few garage rock groups would name one of their most driving numbers "I'm Finding It Harder to Be a Gentleman," and fewer still would pen lyrics like "I'm so tired of acting tough/I'm gonna do what I please/Let's get married," but it's precisely this mix of strength and sweetness, among other contrasts, that makes the White Stripes so intriguing. Likewise, White Blood Cells' ability to surprise old fans and win over new ones makes it the Stripes' finest work to date."

Ranked Highest By: Northern Voice (#6)

Amazon Link

#1304 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

#40.

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

[b]Charting Singles
: "Down By the Water" (#2 Modern Rock US, #38 UK)

I recently gave this album a listen...not as good as I had hoped, for my tastes. Too much Patti Smithiness.

PJ is 100x better than Patti Smith. another case of an influential artist being less talented than the artist she influenced.

#1305 Fac1

Fac1

Neophyte

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:27 PM

Whoa, there's a surprise. Not a bad album, but totally shocked to see it in the top 20.

Agreed, never been a fan.

This list is getting very interesting as it winds down. Quite a few albums I'm surprised to see.

#1306 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

#16.

Posted Image

DJ Shadow - ...Endtroducing

(2352 Points, 32 Votes, Two #1 Votes)

Year
: 1996

US Chart Position: #37 Heatseeker

UK Chart Position: #17

Charting Singles: "Midnight in a Perfect World" (#54 UK), "Stem" (#74 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #2 (year), #14 (decade), #107 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #187

AMG Says: "As a suburban Californian kid, DJ Shadow tended to treat hip-hop as a musical innovation, not as an explicit social protest, which goes a long way toward explaining why his debut album Endtroducing... sounded like nothing else at the time of its release. Using hip-hop, not only its rhythms but its cut-and-paste techniques, as a foundation, Shadow created a deep, endlessly intriguing world on Endtroducing, one where there are no musical genres, only shifting sonic textures and styles. Shadow created the entire album from samples, almost all pulled from obscure, forgotten vinyl, and the effect is that of a hazy, half-familiar dream -- parts of the record sound familiar, yet it's clear that it only suggests music you've heard before, and that the multi-layered samples and genres create something new. And that's one of the keys to the success of Endtroducing -- it's innovative, but it builds on a solid historical foundation, giving it a rich, multi-faceted sound. It's not only a major breakthrough for hip-hop and electronica, but for pop music."

Ranked Highest By: BobtheSquid and The Eyes (#1) (also ranked #3 by Birdistheword and #5 by Undo)

Amazon Link

#1307 falling and laughing

falling and laughing

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

the four big electronic records - daft punk, avs, BoC, Shadow-- sure kicked some ass on a points per voter scale. We needed the sickpup method for this poll ;)

#1308 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:38 PM

i'm going to listen to Yoshimi again and see if i still don't like it a lot. last time i listened to it, i thought it had like three good songs (flight test, yoshimi pt 1 and do you realize) and one really great song (are you a hypnotist?) and a bunch of mediocre filler. i was in a bad mood that day, probably, so i should listen to it again now.

Listen to In the Morning of the Magicians (I think that's what it's called).
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#1309 Cinnamon P.

Cinnamon P.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3876 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

besides the white stripes the top 20 is looking just as it should. awesome to start it off with BoC and head right into Sigur Ros. amazing stuff still to this day.
Download this EP I made. The songs are pretty close to where they should be. I colaborated with Brian Wilson and Thom Yorke and then we all fucked in my basement apartment. Thom has a really big dick suprisingly, and Brian Wilson cried the whole time, yelling "These moans are not in perfect harmonic unison". Anyway, it sounds like what you would imagine something from that situation sounds like.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8689o

#1310 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:00 PM

[b]#20.

Posted Image

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

(2183 Points, 30 Votes, Two #1 Votes)

I actually thought this was top 10, seeing it on near everyone's list.

#1311 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:02 PM

#15.

Posted Image

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

(2353 Points, 38 Votes)

Year
: 2004

US Chart Position: #32 / #5 Independent

UK Chart Position: #3 / #4 in '05

Charting Singles: "Take Me Out" (#66 / #3 Modern Rock US, #3 UK), "This Fire" (#17 Modern Rock US), "Matinee" (#8 UK), "Michael" (#17 UK), "Darts of Pleasure" (#44 UK)

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #1 (year), #3 (decade), #87 (all-time)

AMG Says: "While the Darts of Pleasure EP proved that Franz Ferdinand had a way with equally sharp lyrics and hooks, and the "Take Me Out" single took their sound to dramatic new heights, their self-titled debut album offers the most expansive version of their music yet. From the first track, "Jacqueline," which begins with a brooding acoustic prelude before jumping into a violently vibrant celebration of hedonism, Franz Ferdinand is darker and more diverse than the band's previous work suggested. "Auf Ausche" has an unsettling aggression underneath its romantic yearning, its cheap synth strings and pianos underscoring its low-rent moodiness and ruined glamour. And even in the album's context, "Take Me Out" remains unmatched for sheer drama; with its relentless stomp and lyrics like "I'm just a cross hair/I'm just a shot away from you," it's deliciously unclear whether it's about meeting a date or a firing squad. The wonderfully dry wit the band employed on Darts of Pleasure's "Shopping for Blood" and "Van Tango" is used more subtly: the oddly radiant "Matinee" captures romantic escapism via dizzying wordplay. "Michael," meanwhile, is a post-post-punk "John, I'm Only Dancing," by equal turns macho and fey; when Alex Kapranos proclaims "This is what I am/I am a man/So come and dance with me, Michael," it's erotic as well as homoerotic. Love and lust make up a far greater portion of Franz Ferdinand than any of the band's other work; previously, Franz Ferdinand's strong suit was witty aggressiveness, and the shift in focus has mixed results. There's something a little too manic and unsettled about Franz Ferdinand to make them completely convincing romantics, but "Come On Home" has swooning, anthemic choruses guaranteed to melt even those who hate swooning, anthemic choruses. Fortunately, the album includes enough of their louder, crazier songs to please fans of their EPs. "Darts of Pleasure" remains one of the best expressions of Franz Ferdinand's shabby glamour, campy humor, and sugar-buzz energy, and "Tell Her Tonight," which debuted on the Darts of Pleasure EP, returns in a full-fledged version that's even more slinky, menacing, and danceable than the demo hinted it might be. And if Franz Ferdinand's aim has always been to get people dancing, then "Cheating on You"'s churned-up art punk and close, Merseybeat-like harmonies suggest some combination of slam dancing and the twist that could sweep dancefloors. Despite its slight unevenness, Franz Ferdinand ends up being rewarding in different ways than the band's previous work was, and it's apparent that they're one of the more exciting groups to come out of the garage rock/post-punk revival."

Ranked Highest By: Whichonespink (#5)

Amazon Link

#1312 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

:lol:

Franz's beats Yoshimi!!! Something about the cuntryside and vague homophobic remarks.

Just to get it out there.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#1313 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:11 PM

Yoshimi gets beat by the British equivalent of Slash's Snake Pit!

:lol: :lol:

#1314 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

lmfao @ Mitchell (and FF being #15)

#1315 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

i don't recall if i even voted for the Franz cd. wow. i honestly forgot it existed and that they were a band. i feel foolish kinda sorta.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#1316 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

#14.

Posted Image

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People

(2477 Points, 39 Votes)

Year
: 2002

US Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #9 (year), #51 (decade), #547 (all-time)

Rank on Our All-Time Albums List: #144

AMG Says: "Since the release of Feel Good Lost, Toronto music collective Broken Social Scene became a bit more collective, swelling from two members to ten (plus guests). As you'd expect with such a dramatic rise in membership, there's a lot more variety this time out -- the first two tracks are a case in point, in fact: the first track is a fairly airy instrumental number with a Mark Isham-like feel, but track two slams it off the rails with a driving beat and wailing guitars. Main members Brendan Canning and Kevin Drew even sing this time around (on "Cause = Time" Drew sounds almost like J Mascis); Leslie Feist and Emily Haines take their turns on other tracks. According to one of the members of this incarnation of the group, trying to not "who did what" on this album would be almost an entire review in itself, as everyone took turns playing different instruments on different tracks and the whole thing was built from the ground up in a very collective fashion. Although listeners who found the first Broken Social Scene release a nice ambient pop treat may be put off by this one's all-over-the-map approach, it's certainly a much more accessible release overall and there's bound to be something in here that you'll enjoy."

Ranked Highest By: Jasmine and The Good Dr. Bill (#4) (also ranked #5 by Mad Clown)

Amazon Link

#1317 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:22 PM

#14 is a LOT better than #15.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#1318 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

i don't recall if i even voted for the Franz cd. wow. i honestly forgot it existed and that they were a band. i feel foolish kinda sorta.

i got their live dvd at tower a few weeks ago and have been really impressed that most of the songs still sound excellent to me.

#1319 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

#140 is a LOT better than #15.

fixed.

#1320 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:27 PM

common sense but list is getting really good now
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.