Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

Andrew WK being 10+ on HTTT = lolz

boo hoo, there will be plenty more radiohead to choose from
much farther down the line

I didn't say I disagreed with Andrew being higher, I just find it funny.

#162 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:31 AM

my bad, I skipped my sensitivity training classes this morning :lol:

I really wonder if I should check out Sparklehorse. He's (they've?) been on my list for about ten years, and I've just never brought myself to hear any of their stuff.

same here.

#163 gil-scott heroin

gil-scott heroin

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

Dig the twist

#246.

Posted Image

Liars - They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top

Year
: 2002

US Chart Position: n/a

UK Chart Position: n/a

Charting Singles: n/a

Acclaimed Music Ranking: #30 (year), #183 (decade), #1479 (all-time)

AMG Says: "The debut LP from Brooklyn's Liars is a churning collection of jerky punk rock, funk grooves, and computerized mayhem that oddly enough comes off quite charming. With sufficiently angular guitars, British-tinged vocals, and a truly pummeling bass presence, the group rocks with phenomenal energy and absolutely no restraint. The half-hour-long closer, "The Dust That Makes the Mud," collapses into a puzzlingly repetitive, sample-ridden hip-hop beat that ends things on a bizarre note, but the lead-up is pure rock & roll, complete with the attitude and aggression that makes for a great listen. Liars have a surprisingly unique approach that distinguishes them from other groups in their willingness to experiment with different tones, volumes, and styles, all of which make They Threw Us in a Trench and Stuck a Monument On an astounding debut. Catchy group vocals are all over the disc, and just about every chorus is instantly memorable yet still somewhat pummeling. The use of digital sounds and beats only adds to the unique properties of the record, giving it a feel somewhat akin to later Les Savy Fav records, only with a much more punk-fueled sound. Liars are something special, and when a young band puts out a record like this it is hard not to pay attention. Where they'll go from here is impossible to guess, but with a band this hyperactively creative, that seems to be the point."

Ranked Highest By: Gil-Scott Heroin (#7)

Amazon Link

REPPIN, STRAIGHT
Posted Image

#164 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

I'm saying it. Feces molded into the shape of a CD sounds better than that crap fest.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#165 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5646 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Not much love for Americana or psychedelia here.

You have the most incredible persecution complex I've ever seen of anyone on the internet.

The SOMB doesn't love psychedelia? Do you really believe what you're saying?

The board likes Americana too, though maybe not in the same, specific/traditional way you do.

Americana are not well represented on the lists.

truth. I suspect (and hopefully no one will take this the wrong way) that although there are quite a few fans of Americana (I won't speak to psychedelia, as it's not really my area of expertise), they are less likely to vote in these polls than some other fans. I'm not sure why that is, but it seems to be true. It may not be, however, I could just be making it up.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#166 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:23 AM

Wowser. Props to Diesel - I thought I'd be the highest voter for this on SOMB.

Excellent album.

Yeah, I thought I voted this higher than anyone else. I think it was like #12 or so on my list. Damn glad to see it pop up in our overall list when AWK was shutout of the 250 singles poll.

Wow, I have no use for this page whatsoever.

I know, finally there's justice on the SOMB. the list could end now and I don't think I would be disappointed.

Still, I stand by I Get Wet > Ok Computer
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#167 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

the real Blink critical revision is at least a half-decade away and possibly even longer

Thankfully, Bono Jr. Tom DeLonge and reality TV human cartoon Travis Barker are doing all they can to thwart any favorable critical hindsight for Blink.

#168 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

I heard Alice and it sounds like he's phoning it in.

Hardly. Not with stunning lyrics like I remember the showers, but no one puts flowers...on a flowers grave.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#169 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

Speaking of Garbage how "Happy When It Rains" finished above "Milk" and "Stupid Girl" is a mystery.

Much bigger hit in the US. "Milk" basically didn't exist here that I'm aware of.

#170 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:34 AM

Speaking of Garbage how "Happy When It Rains" finished above "Milk" and "Stupid Girl" is a mystery.

Much bigger hit in the US. "Milk" basically didn't exist here that I'm aware of.

Fair point, but "Stupid Girl" was an even bigger than "Happy When It Rains" though wasn't it?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#171 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

#234.
Green Day - Nimrod

No big deal, but this should say #233.

#172 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

I had "Push It" as the best Garbage single....my head explodes and my body aches....Version 2.0 is the better album.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#173 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

Fair point, but "Stupid Girl" was an even bigger than "Happy When It Rains" though wasn't it?

Maybe? I'm only going off my recollection of how much MTV/radio airplay I wtinessed of each. Actual chart numbers might prove me to be full of shit.

#174 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Garbage and the Foo Fighters are the same band to me in that I completely forget they exist and then theycome out with a single and I get all like "oh wow, these guys...they were kinda cool, right?" And then I revisit them for like a day and proceed to forget the even exist for another three to five-year span. With that said, that Garbage album is appropriately placed on the countdown in my eyes.

#175 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

Maybe? I'm only going off my recollection of how much MTV/radio airplay I wtinessed of each. Actual chart numbers might prove me to be full of shit.

Garbage's US chart positions:

"Stupid Girl" 24
"Push It" 52
"Special" 52
"Only Happy When it Rains" 55
"Why Do You Love Me" 94
"Vow" 97

#176 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:05 PM

Their UK positions: Only Happy When it Rains 29 Queer 13 Stupid Girl 4 Milk 10 Push It 9 I Think I'm Paranoid 9 Special 15 When I Grow Up 9 I'd completely forgotten about 'Queer', but now I'm reminded, I recall quite liking it.

Posted Image

#177 amotin

amotin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

Garbage and the Foo Fighters are the same band to me in that I completely forget they exist and then theycome out with a single and I get all like "oh wow, these guys...they were kinda cool, right?" And then I revisit them for like a day and proceed to forget the even exist for another three to five-year span.

I would add Stone Temple Pilots to that short list.

#178 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2889 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

IMO, both "Push It" and "I Think I'm Paranoid" are better singles than anything else Garbage has done. "I Think I'm Paranoid"=underrated.

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#179 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:19 PM

I've always liked "Vow" and "No. 1 Crush" the best.

#180 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:22 PM

I would add Stone Temple Pilots to that short list.

not I...I never really liked STP except for a few singles. when they ended their tenure as a band, I certainly was not going through anything even close to the slightest bit of mourning/