Photo

I Yam that I Yam

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Sweet Potatoes vs. Yams

Which do you prefer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

Sweet pertaters are OK, but I don't go out of my way for them. I like them better as fries than anything else.

#22 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

1) As Red has noted, sweet potato fries and mashed sweet potatoes can be absolute muthafuckas when prepared by the right hands..

that's the key. I once had some nasty soggy sweet potato fries from Clarks on Belmont. yuck. And my sweet mashed potatoes are outta this world.

Red, if you're ever far enough south to go there, Harrison's in Orland does a great Sweet Potato Fry with a Vanilla Hard Sauce.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#23 feisty

feisty

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2627 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

I doubt anyone in this thread has eaten an actual yam. Any orange and sweet yams you've eaten are misnamed sweet potatoes. Real yams aren't even in the same family of vegetable, and they're basically disgusting. Oh, and sweet potatoes aren't really potatoes to begin with. But anyway.

This is true. Real yams are only availible in specialty shops outside of Africa.

#24 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

both are vile

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#25 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

1) As Red has noted, sweet potato fries and mashed sweet potatoes can be absolute muthafuckas when prepared by the right hands..

that's the key. I once had some nasty soggy sweet potato fries from Clarks on Belmont. yuck. And my sweet mashed potatoes are outta this world.

Red, if you're ever far enough south to go there, Harrison's in Orland does a great Sweet Potato Fry with a Vanilla Hard Sauce.

Damn, that sounds yummy. More things should come with hard sauce.

#26 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

Hard sauce?

#27 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:02 PM

Posted Image

West African Yam salesman. Only men can grow, handle, or cook Yams. They're just too penis shaped for women to touch.

Hard sauce?

Hard Sauce.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#28 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

So does "hard" just mean that the sauce contains alcohol/liqueur?

#29 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

probably like seven years ago i had the most amazing sweet potatoes in the world with like pecans and shit in there. they were pretty spectacular. since then, i haven't been able to find anything even remotely comparable. and this thread is a landslide, and rightfully so.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#30 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

Posted Image

West African Yam salesman. Only men can grow, handle, or cook Yams. They're just too penis shaped for women to touch.

So, uh, I'm not sure how only allowing the men to handle them helps here, unless they also have to be gay. Other cultures are funny.

Presumably, although when I've had it, it's always been made specifically with whiskey, as in the recipe Freddie posted.

#31 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the info, Freddie. That sounds delicious.

FIELD TRIP!! Who's driving?

Presumably, although when I've had it, it's always been made specifically with whiskey, as in the recipe Freddie posted.

either way, I'm in.

Posted Image

Thank god I never encountered a penis shaped like those fat yams on the right. yowza!

Red is right

#32 Binko

Binko

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2272 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

I believe both pictures are of American yams aka sweet potatoes. Has anyone here actually eaten a real yam? I know I haven't. edit: Just realize I glossed over raumschwein's post which basically makes the same point. Sweet potatoes and yams are the same thing to most Americans. Anyhow, sweet potatoes rock. They make a better and more "pumpkiny" pie than pumpkins.

#33 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20694 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

9k views?
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.