8206 replies to this topic

#4601 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

I've not like one of M.Night's films, every single one annoyed me. I've not seen Lady In The Water but it has annoyed me anyway.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#4602 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

I've not like one of M.Night's films, every single one annoyed me. I've not seen Lady In The Water but it has annoyed me anyway.

If you watched it, it would annoy you more.
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#4603 By-Tor

By-Tor

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:47 PM

Much much more. We watched "SAW IV" last night, and I tell ya, I think most of today's horror flicks are complete sheit, but once again, I was pretty impressed. I dunno how, but the guys who do these movies know how to tell a story. In even the fourth sequel! It was still preety good, even if it wasn't as good as the first couple. And the other weekend we watch a very unknown miniseries called "The Company" It was on TNT, and starred Chiris O'Donnell, Alfred Molina, and michael Keaton, and I'd put it right up there with the quality of most HBO movies. It was pretty damn good. Felt like another one of those Carre novels. Somebody must've greenlighted this after the "Good Shepherd" came out. Very similar, but even more in depth and interesting. (And of course more fun to watch on DVD, than TV) We also watched "The Assassaination of Jesse James" last night, with Brad Pitt and Casey fuckin Affleck, and, in a word-- boring.
American Military Casualties in Iraq Date Total In Combat American Deaths Since war began (3/19/03): 4253 3421 Since "Mission Accomplished" (5/1/03) (the list) 4114 3313 Since Capture of Saddam (12/13/03): 3792 3115 Since Handover (6/29/04): 3395 2798 Since Obama Inauguration (1/20/09): 24 16 The first number is just deaths; the second number is deaths in combat.

#4604 WesterMats

WesterMats

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3046 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:49 PM

I just finished Away from Her, and it was amazing. Depth, subtley, empathy, it was all there. It's also a love story about seniors and alzheimers. This is definitely in my top ten, maybe number one. Dammit, now I see it's 2006, but it's up for this year's Oscars.
Posted Image
"I forgot my one line, so I just said what I felt"
--Paul Westerberg

Posted Image

#4605 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:57 PM

Dammit, now I see it's 2006, but it's up for this year's Oscars.

Don't just look at the date in the title, look at the release dates page:
http://www.imdb.com/...747/releaseinfo

#4606 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:16 PM

I just finished Away from Her, and it was amazing. Depth, subtley, empathy, it was all there. It's also a love story about seniors and alzheimers. This is definitely in my top ten, maybe number one. Dammit, now I see it's 2006, but it's up for this year's Oscars.
Posted Image

It's great...and eligible.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#4607 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:33 PM

what's the word LMNOPT? Can I still move some list around?

#4608 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image
Sunshine
Posted Image
Rescue Dawn

Both are fantastic, absolute must-see's.

#4609 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

Sullivan's Travels is one of the most criminally underrated films of all time. The dialogue is so crisp. Sturges is a master, and a major Coen influence.

Great yes...but is it really underrated. I'm pretty sure it's on AFI most recent top 100 list, and it's pretty well known. Maybe I'm just nit-picking.

Sturges' movies have had a rebirth, I'd say over the last 10 years, and Sullivan gets its due now (it's on the 2007 Top 100, but not on the 1997 version). There's a boxed set that has Sullivan's Travels, The Lady Eve, The Palm Beach Story, Hail the Conquering Hero, The Great McGinty, Christmas in July, and The Great Moment.

I didn't even know there was a revised top 100. If Sturges is finally get his due, it's long overdue. And very much thanks to the Coen bros.

#4610 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

what's the word LMNOPT? Can I still move some list around?

Yeah...I won't be tallying until Thursday morning so change anything you want up until midnight Wednesday.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#4611 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Posted Image
Sunshine

Both are fantastic, absolute must-see's.

Saw Sunshine last night too. It was ok. The twist with ~25 minutes left was pretty good, but the rest was just stupid. Really, how many of these doomed spaceship movies have to end with the main character running around the ship in a spacesuit, racing against a fucking countdown no less? And what was the point of it all?

#4612 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:24 PM

It was kind of pointless, I'll give you that. But I loved the way it launched full-throttle into the mission, without bothering to setup emotional connections the people were leaving behind etc. Also loved the pace, methodic, without ever feeling painfully slow. And come on, you have to give it some credit for original storyline. The sun is dying, we're gonna plant a bomb in it to reignite it?! Nice idea, great follow-through imo.

#4613 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

without bothering to setup emotional connections the people were leaving behind etc.

Well, except for the 3 minutes of the main character sending the cliche goodbye message to his folks.

Also loved the pace, methodic, without ever feeling painfully slow. And come on, you have to give it some credit for original storyline. The sun is dying, we're gonna plant a bomb in it to reignite it?! Nice idea, great follow-through imo.

Yeah, I liked the story, and the movie kept me entertained for 2 hours. Felt it could have been a lot more though. We need more intelligent sci-fi.

#4614 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

Sullivan's Travels is one of the most criminally underrated films of all time. The dialogue is so crisp. Sturges is a master, and a major Coen influence.

Great yes...but is it really underrated. I'm pretty sure it's on AFI most recent top 100 list, and it's pretty well known. Maybe I'm just nit-picking.

Sturges' movies have had a rebirth, I'd say over the last 10 years, and Sullivan gets its due now (it's on the 2007 Top 100, but not on the 1997 version). There's a boxed set that has Sullivan's Travels, The Lady Eve, The Palm Beach Story, Hail the Conquering Hero, The Great McGinty, Christmas in July, and The Great Moment.

I didn't even know there was a revised top 100. If Sturges is finally get his due, it's long overdue. And very much thanks to the Coen bros.

What's all this underrated talk? Preston Sturges has always been very highly esteemed.

#4615 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:26 AM

What's all this underrated talk? Preston Sturges has always been very highly esteemed.

Esteemed by people who dig film, yes. But I'd bet that you could find 100 people who could tell you who Frank Capra was before you could find 5 people who could tell you who Preston Sturges was.

#4616 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Esteemed by people who dig film, yes. But I'd bet that you could find 100 people who could tell you who Frank Capra was before you could find 5 people who could tell you who Preston Sturges was.

Exactly. When it comes to film, Tony forgets there's a world outside of academia.

#4617 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:47 AM

King of Kong- Really good flick. I gave my wife the skinnny on the movie, before I popped it in, she just rolled her eyes and said, "why do you pick this crap?". Ten minutes later she was completely sucked in. 3:10 To Yuma- Saw the ending coming very early on, but the perfromances were so good I really like the journey to get there. Now I'm curious to see the original.

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#4618 nobodies

nobodies

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3853 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

So I watched this last night:

Posted Image

I forgot how great this movie is. I love that 80's paranoia, but it's also just a fun film. It's sort of inspired me to do my own mini B-Movie-attacks-on-consumer-culture filmfest, so I think I'm gonna follow it up with:

Posted Image

Posted Image

and of course

Posted Image

The great thing is that They Live, Robocop, and Repo Man are all on comcast ondemand right now.

#4619 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:03 AM

You could kindasorta add Gremlins I & II to that fest, too.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#4620 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

So I watched this last night:

Posted Image

I forgot how great this movie is. I love that 80's paranoia, but it's also just a fun film.

This is one of my favorite films of all time. Roddy Piper is excellent.