8206 replies to this topic

#6781 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

To be fair, he was only responsible for the third segment of 3 Extremes. Speaking of 3 Extremes, I'm far from an Extreme Violence kind of guy, but was anyone else not really affected by the 'Dumplings' segment? I saw the twist coming a mile away and it just never even grossed me out.

Apparently he has a gay prison romance movie out that my local HMV carries for some reason. I almost want to see it, but I'm also afraid to see it.''

By the way, the two Miike movies I rented and couldn't get through were Rainy Dog which was boring and The Great Yokai War which was too weird for words (A Takashi Miike kids movie!?!?) that I actually just ran out of time on.

i know he wasn't responsible for all of three extremes. i actually really loved his segment. hated parks. and dumplings was well made (chris doyle d'p'ing is never a bad thing), but it wasn't a matter of twists or even subject matter. it was the
Spoiler
that made my stomach turn. even still, in my experience having a girlfriend in tears in a theater rarely makes one the film more.

#6782 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:45 PM

Recently I was very impressed by this. Just found out that this film doesn't use CGI animation and stuff so... now even more impressed.

He actually said it does have some CGI, but "no where you would expect it". I guess some little stupid things like people's eyes and shit. I gotta get the DVD...is there commentary?

It does have some commentary/making of stuff, but I have yet to watch it.

I saw it with a filmmaker Q&A after, which was amazing...

#6783 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6371 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

So many movies open tomorrow that I want to see. After spending friday night and all day saturday showing other people movies, I want to just go sit in a theatre all day sunday. Choke Towelhead Miracle at St. Anna The Lucky Ones (new film from Neil Burger (Interview With An Assassin, The Illusionist). Ghost Town (Might suck, but it's got Gervais). Eagle Eye (pop entertainment, but I'll definitely watch it. An IMAX Experience has me tempted to hit it in the theatre.)

#6784 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

[The Great Yokai War which was too weird for words (A Takashi Miike kids movie!?!?) that I actually just ran out of time on.

Silly stuff, along the lines of Gamera and "a boy goes on a magical journey" flicks that came out in the '80s. (weirder still that the lead boy character is played by a girl). Yeah, its kiddie stuff, but with that Japanese flair.

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#6785 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

FINALLY picked this up yesterday. Wow.

This is one of those movies that MM or Ogawa or Tony could write a thousand-word essay explaining why it's awful, and I'd just have to take their word for it. Been a while since I saw something so viscerally satisfying.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got this out of the five dollar bin. I think I am a hopeless Crowe fan. Everything I found enjoyable about the 3:10 remake (yes, Magnum, we know - you didn't like it...) was Crowe.

Anything I found engaging in American Gangster related to Crowe. Proof of Life was bearable for Crowe's presence. Gladiator, maybe the wort movie ever to win a Best Picture, was only watchable, for me, b/c of Crowe.

And I like Master and Commander a lot, too. Good fun.

#6786 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:59 AM

(yes, Magnum, we know - you didn't like it...)

:P I wanted to like Master, I like Peter Weir's earlier stuff quite a bit, and I find the time period interesting, but each time I watch it, it just fails to grab me. A lot of the scenes seem to have no purpose, and the bits with the younger kids bore me to hell. Oh well, that's me.

I personally just can't stand Crowe, no offense intended (I mean, I assume you don't like Cruise, so even). He is certainly a better actor than the others who make my "just CANNOT stand them" list (i.e. Orlando Bloom and Shia Lawhatever), but I think I dislike Crowe the most (next to Shia Lawhatever).

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a flick he's in, I liked A Good Year of all movies, which I know most people are at least mildly annoyed by.

Watched The Host again the other day. Visually awesome stuff, I know a lot of people loved it, problem for me was, that the scenes with the monster were so damn cool, I get bored during basically everything else.

I'm hoping to finally watch The Wire starting tonight, I have Season 1 rented.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#6787 Tony

Tony

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:03 PM

This is one of those movies that MM or Ogawa or Tony could write a thousand-word essay explaining why it's awful
Posted Image

It effin' rawked!

#6788 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

(yes, Magnum, we know - you didn't like it...)

:P I wanted to like Master, I like Peter Weir's earlier stuff quite a bit, and I find the time period interesting, but each time I watch it, it just fails to grab me. A lot of the scenes seem to have no purpose, and the bits with the younger kids bore me to hell. Oh well, that's me.

I personally just can't stand Crowe, no offense intended (I mean, I assume you don't like Cruise, so even). He is certainly a better actor than the others who make my "just CANNOT stand them" list (i.e. Orlando Bloom and Shia Lawhatever), but I think I dislike Crowe the most (next to Shia Lawhatever).

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a flick he's in, I liked A Good Year of all movies, which I know most people are at least mildly annoyed by.

Actually quite a big fan of Cruise, as well.

I generally tend to like the actors others don't, mainly b/c I watch movies, not TMZ. As far as I can tell, most of the more reviled Hollywood actors are those who have bad PR, or are significantly more attractive than the general population.

This is not to say that Cruise or Crowe or Kidman or whomever can't be genuinely faulted by their critics - just that, more often, it seems there's a direct correlation between not liking an actor and personal envy/media-driven contempt.

#6789 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

This is one of those movies that MM or Ogawa or Tony could write a thousand-word essay explaining why it's awful
Posted Image

It effin' rawked!

Yeah, not saying you didn't/wouldn't like it.... just, you know, sayin'.

The final confrontation in this movie between Clooney/Swinton was at least as much of a "Boo ya!" kind of a momentas when Cruise forces Nicholson to self destruct on the stand in A Few Good Men.

#6790 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

Posted Image

It effin' rawked!

The final confrontation in this movie between Clooney/Swinton was at least as much of a "Boo ya!" kind of a momentas when Cruise forces Nicholson to self destruct on the stand in A Few Good Men.

I deserve dickhead points for being the naysayer here, but that scene was just lame for me. The whole "I was recording the conversation" basically got old after The Firm. Or The Negotiator. I did like Swinton's reaction, but I certainly wouldn't say the scene was as epic as Nicholson's flip out.
"Attention camp compound. Urine specimens will be required from all pers... Uh... pe... Uh, disregard last transmission." -Announcer, M.A.S.H.

#6791 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3550 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image

It effin' rawked!

I deserve dickhead points for being the naysayer here, but that scene was just lame for me. The whole "I was recording the conversation" basically got old after The Firm. Or The Negotiator. I did like Swinton's reaction, but I certainly wouldn't say the scene was as epic as Nicholson's flip out.

Totally agree. There were a handful of other movies just from the last year or two that used that exact same device at the climax. 16 Blocks and District B13 both come to mind, but I think there were even a couple more. Terribly lame way to end an otherwise good film.

#6792 M_Rots

M_Rots

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4277 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

Posted Image

It effin' rawked!

Sure, but I think we've established that you don't really know much about movies. ;) ;) ;)

#6793 Henrietta

Henrietta

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

I dug Michael Clayton. Didn't think it was AMAZING! or anything. But definitely a quality film.

#6794 Bleep Blop

Bleep Blop

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3515 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

Yesterday I watched..

Posted Image

Knife in the Water. It didn't really blow me away, but I can't say that it didn't hold my interest the entire time. The knife between the fingers part was pretty great- reminds me of a time a friend of mine stabbed himself in the finger doing that. Smart guy!

Enjoyable movie, though- really slow moving,great music- it was cool to see where Polanski got his start. Plus the leading lady was just smoking hot. Oh lawrd.

Oh, and the movie recs are appreciated. I need to reinstate my Netflix soon-- I think I still have a free month lying around from that class action settlement that I got for some reason.

#6795 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:24 PM

Yesterday I watched..

Posted Image

Knife in the Water. It didn't really blow me away, but I can't say that it didn't hold my interest the entire time.

Pretty much how I felt when I watched this a couple months back.

Enjoyable movie, though- really slow moving,great music- it was cool to see where Polanski got his start. Plus the leading lady was just smoking hot. Oh lawrd

I don't know what it is about her, but I felt the same way. And apparently many others did, too (There are a number of threads about her on IMDB), which is funny because apparently Polanski refers to her as "bovine" in an interview about the film.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#6796 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Posted Image
If you were in prison, you'd be raped because you exude feminine qualities. You're also a big ole fat piece of ass.

The Foot Fist Way: I really wanted to love this, but came away just kind of liking it. Danny McBride (The dealer from Pineapple Express or the explosives expert from Tropic Thunder or, most importantly, Bust-Ass) is a Tae Kwon Do instructor putting up with an unfaithful wife while...honestly, there's not a lot of plot here. The movie cost something like seventy grand, and is completely ridiculous. I felt there were a couple points where they coulvd've pushed the jokes even further instead of pulling back. It's sort of like Hot Rod meets Napoleon Dynamite, though not as funny as that sounds.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

#6797 brobee

brobee

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1981 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

just got home from nick and nora's infinite bullshit. and man, what a terrible fucking movie. i mean, i respected the whole open-approach-to-gender-and sexuality-in a-mainstream-teen-film-that's-rated-pg-13 thing. i cringed throughout. the cinematography was pretty much the only redeemable thing about it. that and the sweet new vampire weekend song playing over the credits.
Spoiler
and when a cameo from
Spoiler
is the best scene in your movie, your movie's got some serious problems.

#6798 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

just got home from nick and nora's infinite [blah, blah, blah]

What the fuck were you thinking???
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#6799 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

just got home from nick and nora's infinite bullshit. and man, what a terrible fucking movie. i mean, i respected the whole open-approach-to-gender-and sexuality-in a-mainstream-teen-film-that's-rated-pg-13 thing. i cringed throughout. the cinematography was pretty much the only redeemable thing about it. that and the sweet new vampire weekend song playing over the credits.

Spoiler
and when a cameo from
Spoiler
is the best scene in your movie, your movie's got some serious problems.

You probably don't need to spoiler him anymore, as I see he's been added to the commercials running non-stop for this movie.

-WavesWithin

#6800 Magnus Malcolm

Magnus Malcolm

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

I thought that movie looked terrible. That kid from Superbad and Juno is slowing starting to annoy me.

Posted Image
Watching Shadow of the Vampire for probably the sixth time while I half-work. Dafoe is so damn good in it.