• Please log in to reply
1654 replies to this topic

#301 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

1. Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat 2. Man Man - Six Demon Bag 3. Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit 4. Thom Yorke - The Eraser 5. Girl Talk - Night Ripper 6. Jim Noir - Tower of Love 7. Howe Gelb - 'Sno Angel Like You 8. Ray Davies - Other People's Lives 9. Irving - Death In The Garden, Blood On The Flowers 10. The Wood Brothers - Ways Not To Lose 11. Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity 12. Tapes 'n' Tapes - The Loon 13. Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope 14. The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics 15. Los Lobos - The Town and the City 16. The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls In America 17. Pipettes: We Are the Pipettes 18. Guillemots: Through the Windowpane 19. The Black Angels - Passover 20. Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah
Posted Image
"Sometimes I think nothing is simple but the feeling of pain." - Lester Bangs

#302 Dark Flame

Dark Flame

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:48 PM

The Deerhoof album isn't released yet.

#303 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:58 PM

--if you can make a case for it being 2006, you can vote for it.

Deerhoof is sitting on my hard drive. It's 2006. That's my case, I can vote for it.
Posted Image

#304 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:05 PM

Deerhoof is sitting on my hard drive. It's 2006. That's my case, I can vote for it.

:lol:

it comes out in '07, you're not gonna convince anyone otherwise. else you'd see people voting for the new Shins record too.

#305 stignasty

stignasty

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

:lol:

it comes out in '07, you're not gonna convince anyone otherwise. else you'd see people voting for the new Shins record too.

I can look forward to voting for it next year too.
Posted Image

#306 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

Breugel, suprised to see skream so high out of the dubstep albums you did vote for. I was a little underwhelmed by it, at least a lot more so than with Memories of the Future, but thats me I guess. Great list none the less.

#307 animals and men

animals and men

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:37 PM

Glad to see that Clark, Califone, and Hecker are doing well so far. Don't think I've seen OOIOO's Taiga yet, anyone here into that? I think it's the group's best by far, first time I've been thrilled by Yoshimi outside of the Boredoms.

#308 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

Breugel, suprised to see skream so high out of the dubstep albums you did vote for. I was a little underwhelmed by it, at least a lot more so than with Memories of the Future, but thats me I guess. Great list none the less.

I think it was hard not to be underwhelmed by the album - so little new material, awkward sequencing - but if it just fell out of the sky, no expectations, it would be in my top ten of the year so its placing is a compromise of sorts. The range of the Kode9 just blew me away on my first listen but I haven't been back enough. One of my mates who is much more into dubstep than me insists this is the best lp released in the genre yet.
Posted Image

#309 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

Glad to see that Clark, Califone, and Hecker are doing well so far. Don't think I've seen OOIOO's Taiga yet, anyone here into that? I think it's the group's best by far, first time I've been thrilled by Yoshimi outside of the Boredoms.

I voted for it. Good album, but I think Gold and Green and especially Feather Float are much better.

#310 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

The Emperor Machine – Vertical Tones and Horizontal Noise

Cool! I look forward to hearing this.

Hope you like it. Ill try and get round to upping the Octagon Man album, Magneton tomorrow. Its J Saul Kane's darker alter-ego and my second favourite release on his dc recordings label this year. It retains the vintage synths and funk elements of his Depth Charge stuff but goes off on a sci-fi tangent. Good stuff.
Posted Image

#311 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

The Emperor Machine – Vertical Tones and Horizontal Noise

Cool! I look forward to hearing this.

Hope you like it. Ill try and get round to upping the Octagon Man album, Magneton tomorrow. Its J Saul Kane's darker alter-ego and my second favourite release on his dc recordings label this year. It retains the vintage synths and funk elements of his Depth Charge stuff but goes off on a sci-fi tangent. Good stuff.

The Emperor Machine album is absolutely fantastic. I've been listening to it heaps but it's probably too late to make my list.

#312 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hey, I managed 20 albums this year. Holy shit. 1. Mastodon - Blood Mountain 2. Celtic Frost - Monotheist 3. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death 4. I - Between Two Worlds 5. Boris - Pink 6. In Flames - Come Clarity 7. Enslaved - RUUN 8. Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage 9. Trivium - The Crusade 10. To-Mera - Transcendental 11. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime II 12. Lacuna Coil - Karmacode 13. Slayer - Christ Illusion 14. Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress 15. Pete Yorn - Nightcrawler 16. Burst - Origo 17. Arsis - United in Regret 18. Edguy - Rocket Ride 19. Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors 20. Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars My second list now topped by a Mastodon album. God, they rule so much.

#313 Saskadelphia

Saskadelphia

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6049 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

Another excellent list, Diesel! Especially the top ten, which is stellar.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#314 Midnite_Vulture

Midnite_Vulture

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1798 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:55 PM

hey sask, what did you think of that Malajube record?

MV's blog: http://h-b-e.blogspot.com

MV's other blog about every mixtape he's ever made: http://mixedreaction.blogspot.com

"Our clique is the world. The world is our clique"

#315 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

The Emperor Machine album is absolutely fantastic. I've been listening to it heaps but it's probably too late to make my list.

Glad to hear it...you will probably dig the Octagon Man album too. I don't think the Emperor Machine will be threatening the final 100 with or without your assistance.
Posted Image

#316 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

My roommate had the same reaction to Post War, just unimpressed. I, on the other hand, love that disc and feel embarassed that it's my first exposure to Mr. Ward, time to go visit the back catalog!

you're welcome. ;)

wtf at this thread....wtf.

When does this list need to be in for the good doc? I don't want to read 10 pages of noob talk to find out if it's been posted. Ah, the noobs...I was a noob not long ago. poor little noobs. hang in there, little buddies.

Red is right

#317 ka mai

ka mai

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

1. M. Ward- Post-War 2. Matmos-The Rose Has Teeth In the Mouth of a Beast 3. The Coup- Pick a Bigger Weapon 4. Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins –Rabbit Fur Coat 5. Squarepusher-Hello Everything 6. The Islands- Return to the Sea 7. Man Man –Six Demon Bag 8. T.I. - King 9. Akron/Family – Meek Warrior 10. Diddy – Press Play 11. TV on the Radio – Return to Cookie Mountain 12. Neko Case –Fox Confessor Brings the Flood 13. Van Hunt – On the Jungle Floor 14. Joi – Tennessee Slim Is the Bomb 15. Shooter Jennings – Electric Rodeo 16. Rhymefest – Blue Collar 17. Ray Cash – C.O.D. 18. Band of Horses – Everything All the Time 19. Cat Power – The Greatest 20. Liars – Drums Not Dead 21. Caetano Veloso - Ce 22. Snoop Dogg – Tha Blue Carpet Treatment 23. Ray LaMontagne –Til the Sun Turns Black 24. Mastadon – Blood Mountain 25. Viva Voce – Get Yr Blood Sucked Out 26. Charles Lloyd-Sangum 27. The Pipettes – We Are The Pipettes 28. Herbert - Scales 29. YoLa Tango – I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass 30. Holdsteady – Boys and Girls of America 31. Dixie Chicks – Taking the Long Way 32. Dosh – The Lost Take 33. Murs – Murray’s Revenge 34. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale 35. Mission of Burma - Obliterati 36. Vakill – Worst Fears Confirmed 37. Lupe Fiasco-Food & Liquor 38. People Under the Stairs - Stepfather 39. Justin Timberlake – FutureSexLoveSound 40. Willie Nelson - Songbird 41. Beirut –Gulag Orkestar 42. Ratatat - Classics 43. Xiu Xiu – The Air Force 44. Paul Simon - Surprise 45. Final Fantasy – He Poos Clouds 46. Clark-Body Riddle 47. E-40 – My Ghetto Report Card 48. Sunset Rubdown – Shut Up I Am Dreaming 49. Juvenile – Reality Check 50. Old Crow Medicine Show – Big Iron World

#318 kinetic android

kinetic android

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

I'm a little put off by the many high placings Jenny Lewis is getting. Didn't really care for that album. Neko Case on the other hand? That's my girl. :)

#319 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

In defense of M. Ward, "Big Boat" is first rate pop n' roll. I have that number playing quite often.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#320 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4897 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

Great list, Ka Mai! So I suppose I should go back to that Matmos record?