1654 replies to this topic

#401 Diesel

Diesel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1410 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

I've already done my list, and I suppose it doesn't need my help anyway, but I should probably listen to this Hold Steady album, eh? I heard the last one (Seperation Sunday) and dug it, then my hard drive crashed and I never got around to replacing it.

Indie rock that "rocks" = what a fuckin' concept.

#402 umbrellatimes

umbrellatimes

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:43 PM

yeah , lansing-dreiden are CRIMINALLY overlooked amazing band, horrible live, but great records. You dont' like my #1?

#403 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:45 PM

New L-D album was a major letdown compared to the debut, but still very vote-worthy. I assume you have the Sectioned Beam EP? The hidden track on that is incredible; among their best. And I'm ashamed to say I haven't even heard your #1.

#404 Agrimorfee

Agrimorfee

Too nice for his own good

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13311 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

See folks, we ARE nice to noobs and lurkers. :P

"Is everyone on here just an act sometimes?"--Hummingbird

Read all of my stupid song parodies here. Latest song improved/ruined: "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Alice Cooper.

Download all of my alleged music free through the remainder of May at www.soundclick.com/agrimorfee

Also jabbering about music and movies at www.rateyourmusic.com

#405 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

already tabbed yours. You can add JT and Clipse to the end if you want.

alright sounds good.

ignore whatever edits I made then, plz
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#406 umbrellatimes

umbrellatimes

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:55 PM

I DO have the sectioned Beam EP honestly, that and the first album are much better than the new one, but I still love it YANCY get on my #1, it's a classic. Now where can I find your list in these 20 some pages in order to find some new music to hear...?

#407 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

Still working on it. Pretty sure everything's there, just need to order it. I'm reluctant to post it now for fear of remembering something later and not being able to edit.

#408 jspaceman

jspaceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:03 PM

1. Regina Spektor- Begin To Hope 2. Liars- Drum's Not Dead 3. Camille- Le Fil 4. Cex- Actual Fucking 5. Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan- Ballad Of Broken Seas 6. The Black Angels- Passover 7. Bound Stems- Appreciation Night 8. The Fiery Furnaces- Bitter Tea 9. Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins- Rabbit Fur Coat 10. Nellie McKaye- Pretty Little Head 11. The Lemonheads- The Lemonheads 12. The Pipettes- We Are The Pipettes 13. Dresden Dolls- Yes, Virginia... 14. The Brakes- The Beatific Visions 15. Lily Allen- Alright, Still 16. Sonic Youth- Rather Ripped 17. Destroyer- Destroyer's Rubies 18. Thom Yorke- The Eraser 19. Kasabian- Empire 20. Grizzly Bear- Yellow House 21. The Elected- Sun, Sun, Sun 22. Gomez- How We Operate 23. People In Planes- As Far As The Eye Can See 24. Girl Talk- Night Ripper 25. Electric Six- Switzerland 26. Dirty Pretty Things- Waterloo To Anywhere 27. Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Show Your Bones 28. Editors- The Back Room 29. Flaming Lips- At War With The Mystics 30. Beth Orton- Comfort Of Strangers 31. The Kooks- Inside In/Inside Out 32. Eagles Of Death Metal- Death By Sexy 33. Röyksopp- Röyksopp's Night Out 34. The Flaming Lips- At War With The Mystics 35. Joanna Newsom - Y’s 36. Bright Eyes- Noise Floor (Rarities 1998-2005) 37. Graham Coxon- Love Travels At Illegal Speeds 38. Embrace- This New Day 39. Essex Green- Cannibal Sea 40. Placebo- Meds 41. The Decemberists- The Crane Wife 42. Morrissey- Ringleader of the Tormentors 43. Belle & Sebastian- The Life Pursuit 44. The Futureheads- News And Tributes 45. Hot Chip- The Warning 46. Richard Ashcroft- Keys To The World 47. The Beatles- Love 48. The Test Icicles- For Screening Purposes Only 49. Mudhoney- Under A Billion Stars 50. Prince- 3121

#409 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

i'm just thankful that the hold steady don't take themself more seriously, because if they did they would lose all their spontaneity and appeal and would quickly morph into the kind of band bobthesquid misses and loves.

Uh, yeah, cause the whole Hold Steady schtick isn't exactly that... a well-conceived and thought-out schtick.

#410 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

Still working on it. Pretty sure everything's there, just need to order it. I'm reluctant to post it now for fear of remembering something later and not being able to edit.

i can't wait.

#411 mouthbreather

mouthbreather

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6640 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

Okay, mine's set in stone now.

Melvins at 37, mouthbreather. What a killer CD.

Nice addition Sask.
Buzzo would appreciate it.

Posted Image

#412 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

Uh, yeah, cause the whole Hold Steady schtick isn't exactly that... a well-conceived and thought-out schtick.

uh... it's not

#413 bunk

bunk

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

1. French Kicks – 2000 2. Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That 3. Band of Horses - Everything All The Time 4. Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country 5. The Silversun Pickups - Carnavas 6. The Long Winters – Putting the Days to Bed 7. The Album Leaf – Into The Blue Again 8. Destroyer - Rubies 9. Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites 10. Hot Chip - The Warning 11. We Are Scientists – With Love and Squalor 12. Calexico – Garden Ruins 13. Josh Ritter – The Animal Years 14. Guster – Ganging up on the Sun 15. M Ward - Post War 16. Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins – Rabbit Furcoat 17. Aloha – Some Echoes 18. Drive by Truckers – A Blessing and a Curse 19. Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit 20. The Flaming Lips – At War with the Mystics 21. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar 22. Mogwai – Mr. Beast 23. Built to Spill = You in Reverse 24. Mates of State – Bring it Back 25. Zero 7 – The Garden

#414 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:16 PM

I didn't get much new stuff this year. Here's my list in order of how often I listened to it: 1 Calexico Garden Ruins 2 Les Tetes Raides Fragile 3 M. Ward Post War 4 Belle & Sebastian The Life Pursuit 5 Lambchop Damaged 6 Sparks Hello Young Lovers 7 Hot Chip The Warning 8 TV on the Radio Return to Cookie Mountain 9 Caetano Veloso Cê 10 Frank Black Fast Man/Raider Man 11 Tom Waits Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards 12 Sondre Lerche Duper Sessions 13 Grandaddy Just Like The Fambly Cat 14 Bruce Springsteen We Shall Overcome: The Pete Seeger Sessions 15 Bonnie 'Prince' Billy The Letting Go 16 Richard Thompson 1000 Years of Popular Music 17 Nouvelle Vague Bande A Part 18 Neko Case Fox Confessor Brings The Flood 19 Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris All The Roadrunning 20 Destroyer Rubies 21 Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint The River In Reverse 22 Hold Steady Boys and Girls in America ps. Dr. Bill - the artist and album names should be separated by tabs so you can paste it into excel, or whatever you use.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#415 theremin

theremin

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:22 PM

Here goes...
05. Nomo - New Tones

That's what I'm fucking talking about.

#416 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

Looks like this is it:
Posted Image
1. Tim Hecker – Harmony in Ultraviolet
2. Taylor Deupree – Northern
3. Helios – Eingya
4. Chris Herbert – Mezzotint
Posted Image
5. Windy and Carl – Dreamhouse
6. Grizzly Bear – Yellow House
7. Charles Lloyd – Sangam
8. Melvins – a Senile Animal
9. Benoit Pioulard – Precis
Posted Image
10. Ellen Allien and Apparat – Orchestra of Bubbles
11. Svarte Greiner – Knive
12. M. Ward – Post War
13. Juana Molina – Son
14. Shogun Kunitoki – Tasankokaiku
Posted Image
15. Marcin Wasilewski – Trio
16. Mammatus
17. Subtle – For Hero, For Fool
18. Max Richter – Songs From Before
19. Califone – Roots and Crowns
Posted Image
20. Jesu - Silver
21. Machinefabriek - Marijn
22. Lantern – Clogs
23. Keith Fullerton Whitman – Lisbon
24. Charlotte Gainsbourgh – 5:55
Posted Image
25. Loscil - Plume
26. Aethenor – Deep in Ocean Sank Lamp of Light
27. Bob Dylan – Modern Times
28. The Knife – Silent Shout
29. Bright Black Morning Light
Posted Image
30. Jim Noir – Tower of Love
31. Lindsey Buckingham – Under the Skin

#417 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

a lurker's top 50
1. Grizzly Bear "Yellow House"

Glad to see this get a top spot. Would have been my #1 a few weeks ago but the Clark album just pipped it on the line.
Posted Image

#418 petras

petras

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:35 PM

1.Regina Spektor – Begin To Hope 2.The Fiery Furnaces – Bitter Tea 3.The Decemberists – The Crane Wife 4.Charlotte Gainsbourg - 5:55 5.Phoenix – It's never been like that 6.Neko Case -Fox Confessor Brings the Flood 7.Thom Yorke – The Eraser 8.Camille - Le Fil 9.Camera Obscura – Lets Get out of this Country 10.Peter Bjorn & John – Writers Block 11.Destroyer – Destroyer's Rubies 12.The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers 13.Belle And Sebastian – The Life Pursuit 14.Tally Hall - Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum 15.Calexico – Garden Ruin 16.Beck – The Information 17.Sufjan Stevens – The Avalanche 18.M. Ward – Post War 19.Sunset Rubdown – Shut up am I dreaming 20.Tilly and The Wall – Bottoms of Barrels 21.Matthew Friedburger – Winter Woman 22.Graham Coxon - Love Travels at Illegal Speeds 23.Juana Molina - Son 24.Final Fantasy – He Poos Clouds 25.Mates of State - Bring It Back 26.The Rapture – Pieces of People We love 27.Band of Horses – Everything All the Time 28.Red Hot Chili Peppers – Stadium Arcadium 29.The Flaming Lips – At War With the Mystics 30.Nouvelle Vague – Bande A Part I'm sure I'm forgetting something but i'll be damned if I can remember what it is.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."

#419 Dark Flame

Dark Flame

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

What's the latest date we can put our lists up? I'm likely going to cut it pretty close to the wire, as I still need to check out a bunch of stuff (Rubies, Fox Confessor, Writer's Block, Citrus, For Fool: For Hero) before I can comfortably complete my list.

#420 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

another #1 for hecker! yay! i'll be providing the same support fot that album on my list