1654 replies to this topic

#561 red

red

bored

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9490 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Baby, we pay you even more attaention precisely BECAUSE you're a girl :) This sounds interesting and I'd be interested in checking it out. But if the Danish end up with only one of my votes, I'm afraid that votes already strongly spoken for in Mew's And the Glass Handed Kites, which I prize higher I reckon than just about everyone round these parts, and promises to be top-10 for me.

haha. Can't you boys read? I said at least one vote for the Danish. I actually forgot about Mew. I'll have to go listen to that one again. brb....

;)

Red is right

#562 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:20 PM

Having trouble making your year-end list? I've got the answer for you right here.

(scroll to the bottom of the page)
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#563 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:24 PM

Having trouble making your year-end list? I've got the answer for you right here.

(scroll to the bottom of the page)

That's pretty funny. I don't see Sparklehorse getting the love though.

Two song sampler from my #8 pick, "Floating World" by Anathallo. I figured this would be a big hit on a Sufjan board.

hzzp://www.sendspace.com/file/iahya1

Dokkoise House and Cuckoo Spitting Blood.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#564 shampoosuicide

shampoosuicide

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:32 AM

too bad modest mouse didnt actually come out. i think five of those will make my cut though...... ANYWAY hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/kxfco7 here's Return To Cookie Mountain, amotin.

#565 UselessRocker

UselessRocker

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3849 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:22 AM

Seriously, though, how is that Killers album? I like the single. I didn't like the old album but enjoyed the singles somewhat. Is that what's going on here?

I like it well enough, its a much more consistent album than the debut. The highs, "When You Were Young" excepted, aren't nearly as high - but then, the lows aren't as low either. It's cheesier and more over the top in places, but thats kinda what I like about the band. Take "Bones" for example, its like they wrote this tune and couldn't decide how to embellish it. So they put a suggestion box in the studio and, instead of choosing one of the ideas, they used them all. Men's chorus! Horns! Strings! I really think you should give it a shot, its not as good as Mr. Flowers thinks it is, nor is it as bad as half the SOMB would try to convince you it is. If you enjoyed the singles from the last one, theres a fair chance of you liking at least half of this one.

More consistent than the debut? I'm not a big fan of Hot Fuss either, but that's a much more consistent record. I think "When You Were Young" is maybe the best thing the Killers have done, but that's the only real high on the record, whereas you at least had a few highs on the debut. I completely disagree with the lows not being as low on Sam's Town. The lows on this record are ridiculous, at least for me. "Uncle Johnny" is just terrible. It drags, the lyrics are "lay by the bay and make stuff outta clay"-level awful and it really knocks the quality of the album down. Even songs that had (Flowers voice) PO-TEN-TIAL! have some low moments: the overblown "I SEE LONDON, I SEE SAM'S TOWN" chorus that ruins an otherwise strong album opener, the 'throw everything in there' nature of "Bones" that you mentioned, the unnecessary Sgt. Pepper "We hope you enjoyed your stay" interludes, etc. There's a lot of crap on the album and I'm not gonna give them a free pass because they're "supposed to be a fun, ridiculous, overblown, theatrical band".

Believe me, Alky. As much as I have insulted the Killers for Flowers' comments, the "Bruce thing", their superificiality/image - I thought Hot Fuss was strong enough to warrant following the Killers' career and I thought that this might be a band that had a capital-G Great Album in them. But, Sam's Town ended up being a really ridiculous, mediocre letdown.
"LETS GET SOME FUCKING ENERGY UP IN THIS BITCH MOTHERFUCKERS! You are not resigned to a fate of slow, painful death. The world is not as Radiohead and Portishead see it. "Oh the suffering! Oh the suffering, I feel the weight of the world and all it's pain" FUCK YOU......Be the grizzly, tear some shit up, rather than tearing yourself up." -- Montana, 12/21/08

#566 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

so you guys take the killers as a serious band?

#567 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

The highs on Sam's Town are spectacularly high. See: "This River is Wild" I plan on voting the album top-five.

#568 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:56 AM

:blink: has there really been no better music than the killers this year?

#569 amotin

amotin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

here's Return To Cookie Mountain, amotin.

hittin it now, thanks

#570 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:51 AM

:blink:

has there really been no better music than the killers this year?

Uh, he said Top 5, which means that he'll have up to FOUR better than it. Discussing an album does not automatically mean its the "best of the year. It was only #29 on my list, reading comprehension can be your friend! :P
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#571 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4892 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:17 AM

:blink:

has there really been no better music than the killers this year?

Come on man -- must you get all Montana on us?

You're smart enough to know that you can't account for taste. Trust me, I didn't think this Killers album was going to grow on me like it did, but I'm not going to give it the shaft just because it's not popular.

#572 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, I, for one, doubted Sams Town for quite a while, but finally it all clicked a few weeks back. It certainly is more consistent than Hot Fuss. With Hot Fuss, the disc completey trailed off after "All These Things Ive Done." With Sams Town, it really never drops off as drastically. It remains consistent with a few lulls here and there (mainly "For Reasons Unknown," "Bones," and "My List" as the lowest points on the disc....and they're not even THAT low when compared to those of Hot Fuss).

With that said, I expect a high showing for Sams Town on the Official Derek End of Year Listing. And if you don't care for it, well, too bad.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#573 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:29 AM

Love the av. Is that Brandon's dad or something?

Posted Image

#574 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

Baby, we pay you even more attaention precisely BECAUSE you're a girl :) This sounds interesting and I'd be interested in checking it out. But if the Danish end up with only one of my votes, I'm afraid that votes already strongly spoken for in Mew's And the Glass Handed Kites, which I prize higher I reckon than just about everyone round these parts, and promises to be top-10 for me.

haha. Can't you boys read? I said at least one vote for the Danish. I actually forgot about Mew. I'll have to go listen to that one again. brb....

;)

Oh, this boy can read- indeed, I more or less read for a living. Your original post suggested that the Danish deserve "at least one of our votes." Unfortunately, given that the US State Department currently recognizes 193 sovereign states across the globe, your "at least" has to be my "at most." In no way will my list even try to start ticking off that list (unless someone wants to fish some killer Sri Lankan shoegazer upstart I haven't been turned on to yet). In rock, as in the United Nations, the United States and Britain are more heavily represented as a permanent security council. ;)
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#575 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

Vivian Darkbloom's Top 55 of 2006 (in honor of Charlotte Gainsbourg's "5:55)

1. Mastodon- “Blood Mountain”
2. Mew- “And the Glass Handed Kites”
3. Neko Case- “Fox Confessor Brings the Flood”
4. Boris- “Pink”
5. Charlotte Gainsbourg- “5:55”
Posted Image
6. Bat for Lashes- “Fur and Gold”
7. Helios-“Eingya”
8. Bob Dylan- “Modern Times”
9. Built to Spill- “You in Reverse”
10. Deftones- “Saturday Night Wrist”
Posted Image
11. Dredg- “Live at the Fillmore”
12. Juana Molina –“Son”
13. Joey Fehrenbach- “Mellowdrama”
14. Amusement Parks on Fire-"Out of the Angeles"
15. Cut Chemist- “The Audience's Listening”
Posted Image
16. The Coup-“Pick a Bigger Weapon”
17. Sonic Youth-“Rather Ripped”
18. Mojave 3- “Puzzles Like You”
19. Gyptian- “My Name is Gyptian”
20. Rosanne Cash- “Black Cadillac”
Posted Image
21. Bardo Pond- “Ticket Crystals”
22. Heavyweight Dub Champion-“Rise of the Champion Nation”
23. Koop- “Koop Islands”
24. Genghis Tron- “Dead Mountain Mouth”
25. Melvins- “(A) Senile Animal”
26. Boxcutter- “Oneiric”
27. Robin Guthrie- “Continental”
28. Daedalus- “Denies the Day’s Demise”
29. Karda Estra- “The Age of Science and Enlightenment”
30. Jesu- “Silver”
Posted Image
31. Dub Trio-“New Heavy”
32. Jarvis Cocker – s/t
33. The Roots- “Game Theory”
34. Ellen Allien and Apparat- “Orchestra of Bubbles”
35. International Peoples Gang- “Action Painting”
36. Kezia- “Protest the Hero”
37. Luomo-“Paper Tigers”
38. Entheogenic- “Golden Cap”
39. Sly and Robbie Presents Beenie Man and Bounty Killer- “The Taxi Series”
40. Slayer- “Christ Illusion”
Posted Image
41. Sparklehorse – “Dreamt for Light Years in the Belly of a Mountain”
42. Wolves in the Throne Room- “Diadem of 12 Stars”
43. Subtle- “For Hero: For Fool”
44. Daughters – “Hellsongs”
45. Ministry- “Rio Grande Blood”
46. Strapping Young Lad – “The New Black”
47. Windy and Carl- "The Dream House/ Dedications to Flea"
48. El Perro del Mar- s/t
49. Groundation- “Dragon Wars”
50. Converge-“No Heroes”
Posted Image
51. Malajube- “Trompe L’Oeil”
52. TV on the Radio- "Return to Cookie Mountain"
53. Cannibal Corpse-“Kill”
54. …And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead- “So Divided”
55. Secret Machines- “Ten Silver Drops”

Honorable Mention: Delays- “You See Colors,” Ben Harper “Both Sides of the Gun," Beck "The Information"

Will blurb for food...
The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden ***** Anthony B, Independent, March 16 Black Mountain, Rickshaw Stop, March 20 Earthless, Wooden Shjips, Cafe du Nord, March 28 Mastodon, Kylesa, Intronaut, Great American Music Hall, April 19 Opeth, Enslaved, Regency Grand Ballroom, May 14 Sun Kil Moon, Great American Music Hall, May 29

#576 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:25 PM

Vivian Darkbloom's Top 55 of 2006 (in honor of Charlotte Gainsbourg's "5:55)

6. Bat for Lashes- “Fur and Gold”

Yes.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#577 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:26 PM

^^^^^well i suppose I am going to check out that Mew album now, seeing as I dig most your list.
Posted Image

#578 throughsilver

throughsilver

What happened last night?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5508 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

Bloody hell - there was a Ministry album this year?

Posted Image

#579 Vivian Darkbloom

Vivian Darkbloom

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4426 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:02 PM

Bloody hell - there was a Ministry album this year?

Yes, and to my ears, it is the best thing they've put out since Psalm 69. That's not a judgment shared by many fans, who seem to like Animositisomina and Houses of the Mole better, but to me, it's a full-faith return to guitar-based industrial metal fury. I love it.

#580 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4892 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

47. Secret Machines- “Ten Silver Drops”
55. Secret Machines- “Ten Silver Drops”

Heads up, yo.