#1361 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

02. Pretty Girls Make Graves, Elan Vital

Please, please, please, please... tell me what I must be missing with this album. I found it to be one of the biggest disappointments of 2006, completely mediocre and bland compared to the fantastic last album. Seriously, this album pretty much crushed me and has come thisclose to turning me off the band completely. Am I missing something?
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#1362 animals and men

animals and men

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

Please, please, please, please... tell me what I must be missing with this album. I found it to be one of the biggest disappointments of 2006, completely mediocre and bland compared to the fantastic last album. Seriously, this album pretty much crushed me and has come thisclose to turning me off the band completely. Am I missing something?

no

#1363 bovinefamily

bovinefamily

Neophyte

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

my friend wants to slip in a top 20 list before it closes
does he need to sign up? even if he'll only post that and then never come back? is that fair?

If he's going to ask that his list be counted, he's going to have to at least register.

oh yeah, of course, just checking if it counted with a one time post

he'll probably forget actually we were just IMing about it earlier today and I thought I'd ask

#1364 RoBKoZ

RoBKoZ

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:10 AM

compared to the fanboyism (see avatar) that i usually display towards them, this album definitely is not their best...there are some solid tracks on it though: "pyrite pedestal" & the closing track "bullet charm" i love...this was the 1st album of theirs that i just don't listen from beginning to end...it's missing that special something whatever that is i don't know.

on another note, 2 of the last 3 times i've seen them live they've had "technical difficulties." one of those times it was at bottom lounge which explains itself, but they had problems at empty bottle this past time here...

i think what it boils down to, is that they probably won't release anything greater than good health so listen to that while we wait for them to try again

#1365 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:34 AM

I don't post that often but know of several people on this board that are on boards I go to sometimes.

With that said, here's a list of albums that I enjoyed from this past year from what I've heard from 2006 (I'm wondering if I'm slowly getting older if the last thing I heard was in January or February). I doubt very seriously that these selections should count since I didn't really listen to anything, just accumulated it with the hopes of actually listening to them one day. But these are ones I've actively listened to (if that makes sense).

Scott Walker - The Drift
Red Krayola - Introduction
Man Man - Six Demon Bag
Weird Al Yankovic - Straight Outta Lynwood
Liars - Drum's Not Dead

Fucking solid list.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#1366 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:57 AM

it's not amazing or anything, but i liked it. i actually forgot it was released this year...

Good Health is still their best by far tho

#1367 Alky 2009

Alky 2009

lover's rock

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4533 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

Nah, Good Health is a great album and all, but...

The New Romance (9.1) > Good Health (8.7) >>>> Elan Vital (7.2)
"Mellow... but not smooth... kinda shitty."
"Jimmy Buffett..."

Posted Image

#1368 amotin

amotin

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1117 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

I did not hear a lot of records I absolutely loved this year, the only one I truly stand behind is #1. 50 - Prince - 3121 49 - Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun 48 - The Killers - Sam's Town 47 - Dashboard Confessional - Dusk and Summer 46 - Ghostface Killah - Fishscale 45 - Eagles of Death Metal - Death By Sexy 44 - Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther 43 - Frank Black - Fastman Raiderman 42 - The Roots - Game Theory 41 - Sondre Lerche and the Faces Down Quartet - Duper Sessions 40 - TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain 39 - Lady Sovereign - Public Warning! 38 - The Diableros - You Can't Break the Strings in Our Olympic Hearts 37 - The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth 36 - The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics 35 - Smoosh - Free To Stay 34 - Figurines - Skeleton 33 - Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That 32 - The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes 31 - Scissor Sisters - Ta-Dah 30 - Nelly Furtado - Loose 29 - Black Keys - Magic Potion 28 - Nellie McKay - Pretty Little Head 27 - Arctic Monkeys - "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" 26 - Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood 25 - Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat 24 - The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers 23 - Hot Chip - The Warning 22 - Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor 21 - Tapes N Tapes - The Loon 20 - Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere 19 - The M's - Future Women 18 - Cat Power - The Greatest 17 - Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit 16 - The Futureheads - News And Tributes 15 - Gil Mantera's Party Dream - Bloodsongs 14 - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones 13 - Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds 12 - Morrissey - Ringleader Of The Tormentors 11 - Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam 10 - Dirty Pretty Things - Waterloo To Anywhere 9 - Be Your Own Pet - Be Your Own Pet 8 - The Rapture - Pieces Of The People We Love 7 - Silversun Pickups - Carnavas 6 - Girl Talk - Night Ripper 5 - The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 4 - Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops 3 - Lily Allen - "Alright, Still" 2 - Wolfmother - Wolfmother 1 - Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies

#1369 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

i was honestly pretty disappointed with The New Romance myself. which is probably why i wasn't too disappointed w/ Elan, cuz my expectations were low far as i'm concerned they've yet to release any songs as good as The Get A Way or Speakers Push the Air... their live show lost a lot when Nathan Thelen left too

#1370 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:53 AM

I'll have my list up by the end of the day. Just giving a few more things a couple of extra listens to determine order. I really didn't listen to 10% of the stuff I would've liked to this year. In fact I bet I haven't heard more than 35 albums this year. Hopefully next year I'll be able to put together a really decent list.

#1371 Melted Cheese

Melted Cheese

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:18 PM

far as i'm concerned they've yet to release any songs as good as The Get A Way or Speakers Push the Air...

So ridiculously OTM... what incredible songs... few things in life are better than seeing these guys play The Getaway live

Though there are certainly some rockin' songs, New Romance lacks that over the top energy that makes Good Health so, uh... good.
Posted Image

#1372 Northern Voice

Northern Voice

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

50 - Def Leppard - Yeah!
49 - The Streets - The Hardest Way to Make An Easy Living
48 - The Futureheads - News and Tributes
47 - Mission of Burma - The Obliterati
46 - The Slip - Eisenhower
45 - Wolfmother - Wolfmother
44 - Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
43 - The Rapture - Pieces of the People We Love
42 - Pilot Speed - Into the West (aka Pilate - Sell Control for Life Speed)
41 - The Gossip - Standing in the Way of Control

40 - Guillemots - Through the Windowpane
39 - The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
38 - Subtle - For Hero: For Fool
37 - Comets on Fire - Avatar
36 - Slowlands - Never Was There a Town
35 - CSS - Cansei de Ser Sexy
34 - Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
33 - The Long Blondes - Someone to Drive You Home
32 - Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere
31 - Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

30 - The Sunshine Underground - Raise the Alarm
29 - My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
28 - Billy Talent - II
27 - Band of Horses - Everything All The Time
26 - Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me
25 - Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat
24 - Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
23 - Lily Allen - Alright, Still
22 - Dixie Chicks - Taking the Long Way
21 - Hot Chip - The Warning

20 - Sloan - Never Hear the End of It
19 - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones
18 - The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes
17 - Built to Spill - You in Reverse
16 - The Long Winters - Putting the Days To Bed
15 - The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
14 - Tapes N Tapes - The Loon
13 - The Tragially Hip - World Container
12 - The Antennas - Sins
11 - The Killers - Sam's Town

10 - Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
9 - Girl Talk - Night Ripper
8 - Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
7 - Belle and Sebastian - The Life Pursuit
6 - The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine

Posted Image
5 - Drive-By Truckers - A Blessing and A Curse

Posted Image
4 - TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Posted Image
3 - Sam Roberts - Chemical City

Posted Image
2 - Junior Boys - So This Is Goodbye

Posted Image
1 - The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
http://www.last.fm/user/NorthernVoice

June 8 - R.E.M. / Modest Mouse / The National - Molson Amphitheatre (Toronto)
Sept. 26 - Plants and Animals - Montreal House (Peterborough)
Oct. 31 - Sam Roberts - Showplace (Peterborough)
Nov. 7 - AC/DC - Rogers Centre (Toronto)
Nov. 11 - The Hold Steady / Drive By Truckers - The Phoenix (Toronto)
Nov. 29 - Constantines - Montreal House (Peterborough)
Dec. 4 - Neil Young / Wilco - Air Canada Centre (Toronto)
Jan 23 - The Killers / M83 - Air Canada Centre (Toronto)
Mar. 7 - Sloan - Montreal House (Peterborough)

#1373 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1549 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:50 PM

Well, let's see. I was way into PGMG when "Speakers Push Air" came out. I picked the album up, didn't enjoy it, and forgot about it. The mp3s released off "The New Romance" and "Good Health" didn't do anything for me at the time, so I pretty much forgot about Pretty Girls Make Graves. This year, early on, I became all consumed with devouring any 2006 release I could find and I came across "Elan Vital" and was BLOWN away by a band I had completely written off/forgotten about. Maybe if I had prior successes to compare it to, it wouldn't have been so high, or maybe it's just something about Elan Vital that runs me down like a bus, then backs over me a few times leaving me defenceless. I'm a sucker for a big booming female vocal, the kind that takes up available bit of airspace of your headphones and PGM undoubtedly has that. I like the backing vocals that the new keyboardist has added, too. Nothing else that I heard in 2006 sounded so urgent or energetic to me, as "Elan Vital" did.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#1374 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image
1 - The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Definitely one of the better lists. Nice job.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#1375 Alright Still

Alright Still

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

01. Back to Black - Amy Winehouse 02. For Lovers, Dreamers, and Me - Alice Smith 03. Under the Iron Sea - Keane 04. Alright, Still - Lily Allen 05. We Are the Pipettes - The Pipettes 06. Inside In/Inside Out - The Kooks 07. Ben Kweller - Ben Kweller 08. The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living - The Streets 09. Out of My Hands - Keisha White 10. 9 - Damien Rice The Weepes will most likely be added to that list in about a week.

#1376 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

Undercooked Sausage's top 50 albums of 2006
Posted Image

Posted Image

1.Melvins - Senile Animal

Excellent list, Dan. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up to hear some of these albums in the upcoming weeks. Thanks for the sympathy vote on The Sword.

#1377 velocity

velocity

Chanel No. ♪♫

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10081 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

Plz advise: Will my vote for Dredg's Live @ the Fillmore be counted here? If it belongs in the 2006 Comp/Reissues thread, lemme know, thx.

#1378 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:03 PM

1. Killer Mike - I Pledge Allegiance to the Grind
2. T.I. - King
3. Mary J. Blige - The Breakthrough
4. Papa Reu - Life and Music
5. Lindstrom - Its a Feedelity Affair
6. The Dogg Pound - Cali Iz Active
7. J Dilla - The Shining
8. Trae - Restless
9. Justin Timberlake - Futuresexlovesounds
10. Yo Gotti - Back 2 Da Basics
11. The Game - Doctor's Advocate
12. Vybz Kartel - JMT
13. Diddy - Press Play
14. Basement Jaxx - Crazy Itch Radio
15. Snoop Dogg - Blue Carpet Treatment
16. Henrik Schwarz - DJ Kicks
17. AZ - The Format
18. Cham - Ghetto Story
19. Ricardo Villalobos - Achso
20. E-40 - My Ghetto Report Card
21. Fat Joe - Me Myself and I
22. DJ Scream and D4L - Only the Crunk Survive XII
23. Booka Shade - Movements
24. Vakill - Worst Fears Confirmed
25. MANDY - Get Physical Vol. 2
26. Keak Da Sneak - Kunte Kinte
27. Herbert - Scale
28. Shawnna - Block Music
29. Young Dro & DJ Drama - whatever the fuck that mixtape is called
30. B.G. - Heart of the Streets 2
31. Rub-N-Tug - Fabric 30
32. Da Backwudz - Wood Work
33. The Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
34. The Knife - Silent Shout
35. People Under the Stairs - Stepfather
36. Luomo - Paper Tigers
37. Lil Boosie - Bad Azz
38. Frank N Dank - Extended Play
39. Pitbull - El Marial
40. Roscoe - I Luv Cali
41. Daz - So So Gangsta
42. Belo - The Truth
43. J Dilla - Donuts
44. Black Sheep - 8wm
45. Ray Cash - Cash On Delivery
46. Juvenile - Reality Check
47. Ghostface - Fishscale
48. Lil Wayne - Dedication 2
49. Suga Free - Just Add Water
50. Ne-Yo - In My Own Words

Still haven't heard Aloe Blacc, Project Pat, Psalm One, that new Molemen comp, Modill, 8Ball, Omarion, The Roots, Jim Jones, Hi Tek, Jeezy, Lyfe Jennings, Like Father Like Son, Nas, Van Hunt, Omarion, or any of those metal albums i promised myself i was going to get into at some point this year.
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#1379 Asher Ford

Asher Ford

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:06 PM

My Favorites: 1. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 2. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit 3. Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat 4. TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain 5. Josh Ritter - The Animal Years 6. Bob Dylan - Modern Times 7. Band of Horses - Everything All the Time 8. Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions 9. M. Ward - Post-War 10. Islands - Return to the Sea These last five are more points for effort than anything else: 11. Rosanne Cash - Black Cadillac 12. Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics 13. Snow Patrol - Eyes Open 14. The Killers - Sam's Town 15. Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSounds

#1380 Mr. Sinistro

Mr. Sinistro

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:11 PM

Here I go:

--
1. Decemberists - The Crane Wife
2. Mystery Jets - Making Dens
3. The Kooks - Inside In, Inside Out
4. Guillemots - Through The Windowpaine
5. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever I Say I Am...

6. Embrace - This New Day
7. The Stills - Without Feathers
8. Mogwai - Mr. Beast
9. Placebo - Meds
10. Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites

11. Secret Machines - Ten Silver Drops
12. Wolfmother - Wolfmother
13. Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
14. The Roots - Game Theory
15. Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies

1. Decemberists - The Crane Wife
I tried to give Picaresque a listen when it was released and it just didn't do anything for me. Not long ago, a coworker asked if I'd heard The Crane Wife and sent me the folk story, it grabbed my interest and actually listening to the album left me amazed. Though I'm not the first person to draw a lyrical comparison to Death Cab For Cutie, Decemberists' lyrics and stories are superior in every way thanks to the far more interesting and enveloping music that surrounds them. Admittedly I got into this album late in the year, but almost instantly knew it would take the top spot in my list for the year.

2. Mystery Jets - Making Dens
I first heard the single "You Can't Fool Me, Dennis," on a complilation and really loved the song, the change in rhythms, everything about it. The full album carries on into interesting territory veering from playfulness to sadness and then some. It's one of the most interesting, catchy, fun, intelligent albums of the year hands down, filled with variety. It would almost be my #1 album of the year if not for Decemberists making me do a total 180 on an appreciation of them.

3. The Kooks - Inside In, Inside Out
What can I say, people love it or hate it. For me, it's one of the most enjoyable happy, fun-ish albums of 2006 - something that I don't often gravitate to. Maybe it's the memory of laying on the beach in Aruba this past June with this album playing on our portable ipod speakers that holds it in my mind as such a great album. Maybe it fit for the moment. But it's one that I've gravitated to on my ipod many times throughout the year. I used to hate music like this, but these days it feels like a great relief to have something like this I can enjoy. Yes, it's a little Razorlight-ish, but The Kooks turned in a better album this year than Razorlight did, but that's another discussion entirely.

4. Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
The thing I love about this album is that it takes you on a strange, fantastical journey, and you have no idea where it starts or where you'll end up. There's only one song that works on it's own (Made-Up Lovesong #43), otherwise the only way to listen to this album is from start to finish. It's similiar to Making Dens in terms of variety, and the production is excellent. A good album for rainy days and a good album for nice days when you just want to drift away into the evening.

5. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever I Say I Am...
Still as catchy and grabbing as it was when it came out. You've got to hand it to this band to virtually come out of nowhere and write an album that achieved such acclaim as this and still seem like normal everyday guys. Maybe it's their innocence that makes them so appealing, but it's damn cool that this album always just sounds so good.

My Band: The Atlantic Divide
My Artwork: mg33.net.
My Blog: Random Transmission.

The Atlantic Divide - Upcoming Shows:
Thursday March 12th - Opening for Ours at Bottom Lounge - 8PM - $15 - 18+.
Thursday March 26th - With New Colossus, Eric & The Implants - 8PM - $8 - 17+.

Currently working on new EP due out in May.