25 replies to this topic

#1 tweed

tweed

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

I'm new to the world of iPod and the in-ear headphones. I've had them for a couple weeks now and have this weird sensation in my ears, like I'm stretching them out or something. It's not painful and i don't think it's sound/volume related. But putting the buds in there is causing some weird discomfort. Anyone else notice this or am I just am I just a mutant with inflexible ears?
Twilight Revival
Friday, March 13th - Thornwood Lounge (Wood Dale,IL)
Tuesday, April 21 - Abbey Pub (Chicago, IL)

Web Site I MySpace

#2 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:41 PM

You're not the only one. The iPod headphones drive me nuts. I actually went back to using the "wrap around" Walkman headphones, which are far more comfortable and less likely to cause hearing damage.

#3 bobfrombob

bobfrombob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

I took me a while to get used to the buds (but I think I was ok after a couple of weeks). I’m now quite comfortable with them and certainly prefer them to the “ones that go in your ear but aren’t buds” (what the hell do you call them?). I have no discomfort. Have you tried different sized buds? It took me a week or two to decide on the right size.

#4 Howard Rock

Howard Rock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

earbuds always make my ears hurt. not from the volume of the music. I always use wraparound headphones and hope to invest in a nice pair in a few months.

#5 Guest_Smells Like Douche_*

Guest_Smells Like Douche_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:51 PM

I don't use the pod headphones. I don't like not having some sort of headgear. I use the headphones I've had for awhile instead.

#6 rudayo

rudayo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

the iPod earbuds are incredibly uncomfortable, and not very good. I use earbuds with flexible fittings, kinds like this (but not these since I cannot afford them):

Posted Image

But I cannot use them when working out or other strenuous activity that causes me to sweat. I have to go with the standard over the head ear bud type like these...

Posted Image

...as I could not get any other in-ear phones to stay in.

#7 Guest_Smells Like Douche_*

Guest_Smells Like Douche_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:20 PM

But I cannot use them when working out or other strenuous activity that causes me to sweat. I have to go with the standard over the head ear bud type like these...

Posted Image

...as I could not get any other in-ear phones to stay in.

Those look exactly like the kind I use.

#8 rudayo

rudayo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, $10. Good for working out and working with loud lawn maintenance and snow removal equipment. Cua a $100 pair of earbuds ain't gonna make a lick of difference in those environments anyway.

#9 Guest_NumberTenOx_*

Guest_NumberTenOx_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

Those look exactly like the kind I use.

Ditto. I use these at work-- they're clear and I can crank 'em up a bit without getting dirty looks from my coworkers. Plus, at $10, I won't cry if they go missing or bust.

#10 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

those bud thingy sucks. i just reverted back to my over the ear style. they also keep your ears a bit warmer in those darn chilly winter months.

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#11 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:34 PM

not only are the ones that come w/ the iPod uncomfortable as hell, they also sound like utter crap. you can buy a WAY better pair of sennheisser earbuds for about $15-20 the ones that have rubber flanges (such as those eytmotics, or Sure's, or even Sony's MDR-51//71/81's) definitely are way way more comfortable, and all sound better (the etymotic and sure's better than the Sony's obviously, but 2-3x the price)

#12 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Posted Image

i've used this type for the last 5 years or so. nothing in yr ear, and the arm goes behind yr ear like glasses so they are nice and snug but you can still hear sounds around you as well if you want.

15 bucks

#13 rudayo

rudayo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

^^ Yeah, I found those to be comfortable too. But didn't like the foam getting wet with sweat during workouts. Got nasty, and got too lazy to look for foam replacements.

#14 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

^^ Yeah, I found those to be comfortable too. But didn't like the foam getting wet with sweat during workouts. Got nasty, and got too lazy to look for foam replacements.

for working out i'd recommend these:

http://www.amazon.co...5Fencoding=UTF8

same earbud as the MDR-51/71 and same sound (much better than the stock apple ones, not quit Sure/Etymotic quality obviously), but they stay in your ear and on your head very well, yet are pretty light/inconspicous still.

#15 rudayo

rudayo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1820 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:01 PM

For $30, I may try them. I have always had trouble keeping earbuds in the ear when working out if they weren't over the head. Something about that over the head piece seems to keep them in place better for me.

#16 cerebralcaustic

cerebralcaustic

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

These are real good, and very comfortable: http://www.audiocube...Headphones.html

#17 elcorazon

elcorazon

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5647 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

for me, it's not just comfort. the damn things just always want to fall out. I like something outside of my ears MUCH better.
Sail Away: The Songs of Randy Newman -7.5/10
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis 8.5/10
Buddy & Julie Miller - Written in Chalk wow, first listen, but great great record! 9.3/10
Justin Townes Earle - Midnight at the Moviessurprisingly great, never picked up his past releases, but this one's knocking my socks off right away, 8.7/10
M. Ward - Hold Time 8.0/10
Neko Case -Middle Cyclone her best I've heard is my initial impression, but too soon to rate, haven't had a really good listen yet 7.8/10

#18 Cinnamon P.

Cinnamon P.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3876 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

I use the shure E2c's. I love em. I know they are canal phones not ear buds or in ear phones but I love em. worth the 100 dollars after you get used to them. look out though, cause like a tatoo you will want the bigger and better ones after. (500 bills). I have only had I pod headphones in my ears for a total of about 2 hours becaue the sound is so shitty and they are uncomfortable.
Download this EP I made. The songs are pretty close to where they should be. I colaborated with Brian Wilson and Thom Yorke and then we all fucked in my basement apartment. Thom has a really big dick suprisingly, and Brian Wilson cried the whole time, yelling "These moans are not in perfect harmonic unison". Anyway, it sounds like what you would imagine something from that situation sounds like.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j8689o

#19 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

for me, it's not just comfort. the damn things just always want to fall out. I like something outside of my ears MUCH better.

have you tried the ones that actually go in your ear like earplugs?

typical "earbuds" don't go in your ears really, they sit just outside the canal, the ones that have soft rubber plugs NEVER fall out of my ears, unless i pull pretty hard on 'em

i too prefer actual headphones, but for on the go, i like to use earbuds that go in my ears.

#20 ryan

ryan

God of Goldens!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4892 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:15 PM

"wrap around" Walkman headphones

Count me among those who can't stand buds.

I use some old wrap around Sonys on the plane or any other time when I'll be rushing around. I have a pair of PortaPros that I really love, but I always feel like I'm going to break the damn things if I'm sticking them in my carry on or anything. Aren't they guaranteed through Koss for accidental breakage or something? I remember registering them after I first picked 'em up, but fuck if I remember the details.