Photo

the Doors get a bad rap here. Is it jealousy?

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

The Doors get ripped to shreds here. Sure they are pompous and Jim Morrison was a bad human being. But that doesn't mean they did not have some great songs. I challenge anyone to find ten songs to beat these ten Doors songs(besides the Beatles, Stones and Zep): 1. Break On Through 2. Light My Fire 3. Riders On the Storm 4. L.A. Woman 5. You're Lost Little Girl 6. People Are Strange 7. the End 8. Touch Me 9. Roadhouse Blues 10. When the Music's Over Those are ten pretty great songs that have stood the test of time (cliche, but true). The Doors were a band that was far ahead of their time both in songwriting and production. How will today's beloved indie acts fare in comparison?
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#2 without_opinion

without_opinion

Minister of Health

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

it's not jealousy, it's that bitch tease from college who dragged me around for a couple of months without going anywhere that makes me hate them. she had jim morrison poetry posters on her wall. screw that.
Music Is My Girlfriend (click for playlists) -- my brother's weekly radio show (new time!), Mondays, 2pm CST, out of Crested Butte, CO. Hear it at KBUT fm online

#3 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

you didn't even include the best Doors song

#4 Waterloo

Waterloo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1195 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

:lol:

it's not jealousy, it's that bitch tease from college who dragged me around for a couple of months without going anywhere that makes me hate them. she had jim morrison poetry posters on her wall. screw that.

#5 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

hahahahah

you didn't even include the best Doors song

which is?
- The Felice Brothers

#6 BobtheSquid

BobtheSquid

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

It's just that most people outgrow the Doors after high school.

#7 Efrim

Efrim

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3280 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

The pretention of most of Jim Morrison's lyrics ruins the whole experience for me. Even when he's saying common things his voice has this holier than thou quality to it that I loathe. But I can't deny that they wrote some catchy songs. That's all though. I think they're hugely overrated. The only big exception is "Peace Frog" which is a song I adore.

#8 sKinnY

sKinnY

Maître D'

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9439 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

"what kind of moe cop doesn't give her the old suck on my balls warning?

"Posted Image

#9 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:40 PM

The only big exception is "Peace Frog" which is a song I adore.

a while back, i pointed out that this Doors song, more than any other, is immune to "Doors hate."

#10 Paul

Paul

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4170 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yes, I am jealous that I am not dead with my face on throw blankets or in a tribute band with the guy from the Cult. The Doors have enough good songs to fill up a Greatest Hits, but if you venture beyond that, it's mostly pretentious wanking be it on keyboard, guitar, or vocals. They would still be remembered if Jim Morrison hadn't had a mysterious death, but everything about him and the band has been romanticized beyond belief leading some people to think of them as a lot better than they actually were.

#11 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

would it've been very funny for me to have put ten Pink Floyd songs as an example? I decided it would not have been, and thus didn't do it.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#12 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:42 PM

he guessed it Montana

#13 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

This is a common indie snob method of condescension. It's a great way to instantly put down a music listener. It's the "Al Gore invented the internet" or the "Kerry didn't deserve his Vietnam medals" snipe attack. The problem is, it's lazy thinking with no discussion of the music or objectivity. It wreaks of elitism, yet there is nothing insightful or entertaining about the comment. It really serves no purpose at all, and is only used by those with little or no imagination.

The same thing could be said of numerous other bands like Depeche Mode, the Cure, REM, Radiohead, or any "angsty" band - but doing so would be a lazy, cliched cop-out.
- The Felice Brothers

#14 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:43 PM

he guessed it Montana

see? i am right.

#15 Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ҈҉Ѡ

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9457 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

The Doors were alright. A few great songs but no real classic albums.
Aren't there any girls out their who like good music? I need to and want to meet them. My favorite bands are Overkill River, The Nife, Songs:Ohio, and Nuetral Milk Hotel. Please let me know if your into indy music and like to go to show's and drink beer's and makeout.

#16 DrJimmy

DrJimmy

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6912 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

i like "The Crystal Ship." it's cool.

#17 raumschwein

raumschwein

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1482 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 04:45 PM

I'll admit that I didn't outgrow the Doors until right after college, but I think the point's the same. The pretentiousness of the lyrics / Morrison's vocal delivery are dwarfed only but the pretensiousness with which Ray Manzarek waxes nostalgic about what it was like to be a part of it all. I do still get a big thrill out of listening to "Summer's Almost Gone" at the end of the summer, though. (Or at least I did before I moved to Houston, where the end of summer is a time of relief rather than melancholy.)

#18 Sid Hartha

Sid Hartha

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4402 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

Yes, we are all jealous of The Doors.

#19 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

Yes, we are all jealous of The Doors.

I should have made my point more clearly - I think there is jealousy in the indie performance arts of bands like the Doors. I assume some people here were/are involved in the Chicago indie music scene?
- The Felice Brothers

#20 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

my feeling on the Doors for the most part is... the reason they were lauded as much as they were at the time, was due to the fact that most of the great music of that era was coming from the UK. it's not that the Doors were even remotely on the level of most of their peers during that timeframe, but for Americans it was a band they could call their own so to speak.