• Please log in to reply
1095 replies to this topic

#361 the dude

the dude

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

doesn't change the fact that guns n roses haven't come up with a decent tune in a long, long time. so far, everything that's been heard of this album - from the cuts on soundtracks to the rough tracks posted online - has been awful. tuneless industrial dirges ain't gonna cut it. i'll be happy to be proved wrong, but yr hopes are way too high montana.

#362 r.i.p.

r.i.p.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2460 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, Montana, I hate most indie rock as much as you do, but I'm not expecting much out of this at all. And you're really throwing around the word "pretentious" as if GNR is an ANTIDOTE to that?

Absolutely. The restrained dad rock of the National and Wilco's last album are the new pretentious. Of Montreal is the new pretentious. This try hard, Urban Outfitters edged band styling is the new pretentious. Pitchfork is the new pretentious. The elitism, the exact look, the snobbiness.

Axl Rose *is* the exact fucking antidote to that.

Actually, if I had to compare this album to anything recent, it'd be that batshit Of Montreal record. This is like an arena metal version of that—an ADHD pastiche of funk, rock, glam and Broadway that sounds pieced together from scraps. It's hard to throw the word "pretentious" at Of Montreal, and not Axl. Axl did say he wanted to make "the greatest album of all time" with this.

(I should add that GNR/Axl at least have talent. He can sing. The guitarists are talented, if ridiculous. Skeletal Lamping is like the high school production of C.D.)

#363 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Holy shit, what if it is?

where do we gooo new?!!?

#364 r.i.p.

r.i.p.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2460 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Holy shit, what if it is?

World peace.

#365 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

black presi... err wait

#366 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, Montana, I hate most indie rock as much as you do, but I'm not expecting much out of this at all. And you're really throwing around the word "pretentious" as if GNR is an ANTIDOTE to that?

Absolutely. The restrained dad rock of the National and Wilco's last album are the new pretentious. Of Montreal is the new pretentious. This try hard, Urban Outfitters edged band styling is the new pretentious. Pitchfork is the new pretentious. The elitism, the exact look, the snobbiness.

Axl Rose *is* the exact fucking antidote to that.

Actually, if I had to compare this album to anything recent, it'd be that batshit Of Montreal record. This is like an arena metal version of that—an ADHD pastiche of funk, rock, glam and Broadway that sounds pieced together from scraps. It's hard to throw the word "pretentious" at Of Montreal, and not Axl. Axl did say he wanted to make "the greatest album of all time" with this.

(I should add that GNR/Axl at least have talent. He can sing. The guitarists are talented, if ridiculous. Skeletal Lamping is like the high school production of C.D.)

Yeah I knew that new OM might come up because of the stitched together style. I was referring more to his other work and that Bowie impression.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#367 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

so far, everything that's been heard of this album - from the cuts on soundtracks to the rough tracks posted online - has been awful. tuneless industrial dirges ain't gonna cut it.

Radiohead has made a career out of tuneless dirges since Kid A. Shouldn't be an issue.
- The Felice Brothers

#368 r.i.p.

r.i.p.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2460 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

Curious to see this: What are people's sales predictions for this in the first week and overall? I'll start the bidding at 1.4 million / 4 million.

#369 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Two million in the first week, seven overall. Axl back on top.
- The Felice Brothers

#370 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Death Magnetic sold 490,000 and Black Ice sold 784,000, so somewhere between those two.

#371 The Sheck

The Sheck

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:08 PM

I think more people will buy this than AC/DC, if only for the morbid curiousity. I can see 900,000 easy.

#372 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

no way

if this breaks one and a quarter mil, i'd be shocked.

the fact this is being sold exclusively through one retailer i don't think helps it to get to that two-mil you think it'll hit.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#373 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2891 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

the fact this is being sold exclusively through one retailer i don't think helps it to get to that two-mil you think it'll hit.

Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

No way this sells more than 3/4 of a mil. And, quite frankly, after you take away the people with a morbid curious nature, who else is left? GNR fans?

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#374 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

no way

if this breaks one and a quarter mil, i'd be shocked.

I think Walmart was the only one selling Black Ice. Plus the amount of people that will be at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving will be staggering. I dont think it will do a whole lot at Itunes though.

#375 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

Plus the amount of people that will be at Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving will be staggering.

Also bare in mind how many people want no part of waiting for an hour-plus in a line to buy a shitty G'nR cd.....

....in 2008.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#376 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

No way this sells more than 3/4 of a mil. And, quite frankly, after you take away the people with a morbid curious nature, who else is left? GNR fans?

Yeah because there are so few of those.......

:huh:
- The Felice Brothers

#377 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2891 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Bingo. Bango. Bongo.

Yeah because there are so few of those.......

:huh:

Sorry, man, a lot of GNR fans moved on. They've found other bands to like and care about. Some of them don't even think this record is a GNR release. Others just waited too long.

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#378 r.i.p.

r.i.p.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2460 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

The album will be on iTunes too. And if AC/DC sold 750,000 in Wal Mart, despite there being 1/2 as many Best Buys as Wal Marts, I don't see how this thing doesn't break a million in the first week. GNR were easily the biggest band in the world 14 years ago. They had the largest world tour of all time, over 28 months. The stupid Greatest Hits record from a few years ago has sold over 4 million. Has there been an album with more advance press, ever? NYT features, books, soda campaigns, etc. And it's getting good reviews. And it comes out on a Sunday.

#379 swede

swede

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

first week: 1.5 million

#380 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

http://www.nationalp....html?id=967299

For all that's been written about Axl's madness and the controversy behind this record - the 27-year-old blogger arrested in August for leaking it online; talent as diverse as Brian May, Trent Reznor and Moby aborting the project in fear - it still contains a defiant Sunset Strip swagger and grind.

The record contains some filler, and songs don't always congeal as a larger whole, but Rose proves he's still vital - snarling and screaming, and bringing ex-lovers and bandmates to their shanna-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na knees, knees.

Crank up the volume and twist off your Night Train - this massive new album contains some of the year's best rock 'n' roll.

I'm only posting these until it's released.
- The Felice Brothers