1095 replies to this topic

#861 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

New Kanye sucks, sounds like the black Cher.

Agreed 100% Nevertheless he out-sold Axl.

#862 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Even laugh at you and mocking you press is still good press. Based on that, this album had the biggest ramp up to release in the history of consumer products.

#863 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Amazing, Axl didn't promote this album for a second and it still moved 200,000 plus. Artist of the Year confirmed.

Yeah, but this is kind of a misnomer, isn't it? It's not like this album didn't get radio play and that every year there aren't 200 stories about Axl. Sure, he didn't do a press junket or anything, but it's not like this album came out with zero hype.

This record had more press than any album in history. Gimme a break. There were multi-page New York Times articles on it, CNN stories on legal disputes with a soda company, Daily Show bits, reviews in every local newspaper in Canada (just ask Monty), etc.

Was it payola? No. Axl had nothing to do with that. He could be in the Hollywoood Hills or a trailer in Indiana, no one knows. That's what makes it more impressive. A guy who has been irrelevant for 16 years, has left behind his band mates including one of the most recognizable guitarists of all time, puts out a mediocre album that he didn't promote and it was hyped like the second coming, it didn't sell as well as most had hoped but it did fairly well.

#864 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

More spin than Peter Mandelson in here.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#865 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

Was it payola? No. Axl had nothing to do with that. He could be in the Hollywoood Hills or a trailer in Indiana, no one knows. That's what makes it more impressive. A guy who has been irrelevant for 16 years, has left behind his band mates including one of the most recognizable guitarists of all time, puts out a mediocre album that he didn't promote and it was hyped like the second coming, it didn't sell as well as most had hoped but it did fairly well.

None of this is compelling. Did you expect him to do Oprah?

#866 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2889 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Also, he's been touring playing certain songs from this record for 5 years now.

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#867 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:16 PM

None of this is compelling. Did you expect him to do Oprah?

It's all compelling, just my opinion. If he was on Oprah, that would ruin it. Name one musician that put out an album this year who you would rather get drunk with? Most people on here find Thom Yorke a compelling character, he's a fucking bore even more self-centered then Axl. Droopy eyed, mumbly and sad is no way to go through your rock star life.

#868 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

They haven't done a tour in a few years now. He sold out stadiums then and still could. Your doing stand up for free at local bars, you of all people should be impressed.

#869 MuteSuperstar

MuteSuperstar

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

It's all compelling, just my opinion. If he was on Oprah, that would ruin it. Name one musician that put out an album this year who you would rather get drunk with?

Greg Dulli, Robert Pollard, Jim James, Jenny Lewis, Ryan Adams etc etc....

I mean, the record's ok (Metallica's is the far more exciting/credible comeback imo), but the story isn't that compelling at this point. I like prolific greatness in my artists, and Axl's about as far from that as anyone can be while still maintaining a shred of relevance to me.

#870 Mike Schank

Mike Schank

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

It's all compelling, just my opinion. If he was on Oprah, that would ruin it. Name one musician that put out an album this year who you would rather get drunk with?

Greg Dulli, Robert Pollard, Jim James, Jenny Lewis, Ryan Adams etc etc....

No, no, I hate hippies, she wouldn't fuck me, I'd smell his fingers and leave.

#871 MattDrufke

MattDrufke

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2889 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

They haven't done a tour in a few years now. He sold out stadiums then and still could. Your doing stand up for free at local bars, you of all people should be impressed.

See, but you kind of prove my point. When you were the king of the mountain, even 15 years ago, press is made for you.

www,twitter.com/ihatemattdrufke

www.facebook.com/mattdrufke

Listen to my album, This Is Supposed To Be Fun, on Spotify, or buy it on any of the major online music services.

#872 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

Amazing, Axl didn't promote this album for a second and it still moved 200,000 plus. Artist of the Year confirmed.

Yup. 16 years and out from nowhere.
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#873 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

Yup. 16 years and out from nowhere.

I wouldn't say that at all. No album that costs $13 million and goes through endless re-records comes from nowhere.

Seemingly every year now we've seen articles about whether or not Chinese Democracy would see the light.

As mentioned, the 'band' has been playing songs from this live for years and Axl even did some of the songs when they played whatever music awards show it was a few years back. You know the one - the show where he looked like a dreadlocked marshmallow man.

It wasn't like Axl was retired and then all of a sudden the record appeared as though no-one was expecting it.

He's been promising this thing for years.

This has been one of the longest, most-gestated hypes of all time (right next to Neil Young's Archives). Except in this case, most people were expecting the laughable (and I'll admit, somewhat enjoyable in places) trainwreck which we got.

#874 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

Dude, Ryan Adams is one of your favorite artists.
- The Felice Brothers

#875 Campaigner

Campaigner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1674 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

Dude, Ryan Adams is one of your favorite artists.

Dude, you're right but bringing that up makes no sense at all.

Posted Image

#876 solace

solace

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9404 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

Chinese Democracy finishes #3 behind Kanye & Taylor Swift, and only edges out Beyonce by 800 copies...

#877 Sickpup

Sickpup

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

I think Axl pretty much gave up on this thing. He didn't bother to promote it in any way, shape, or form. Sounds like Best Buy cut him a check and that was enough for him -- basically cutting his losses. I think it will be a long time before we hear from him again...

#878 ParticleHustler

ParticleHustler

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5460 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

At least it has staying power...

GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", looks set to drop out of the UK Top 5 this Sunday (December 6) based on the midweek figures released by Music Week.

#879 MattW

MattW

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3564 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

Name one musician that put out an album this year who you would rather get drunk with.

Barry Manilow. He'd probably tell a better story and maybe look me in the eye once in a while. I'd rather have a beer with just about anyone over Axl. Why the hell would you actually want to have a drink with Axl?

Mike Schank: So.... you're a douchebag, has-been, recluse that makes a living off one big check from Best Buy and royalties every time a football team kicks a ball off. What's that like?

Axl: :angry: :rolleyes:

Mike Schank: Oh man, I'm having a beer with Axl!

Actually that might be kind of fun.

#880 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

I think Axl pretty much gave up on this thing.

He didn't bother to promote it in any way, shape, or form. Sounds like Best Buy cut him a check and that was enough for him -- basically cutting his losses.

I think it will be a long time before we hear from him again...

Axl isn't Radiohead, sitting by the computer and devouring fan reaction.

He just doesn't care.

http://www.stuff.co....81054a1860.html

Axl Rose, the front man for hard rock act Guns N’ Roses, has been missing for two months, sparking rumours he might be trying to reunite his band's original line-up.

The eccentric rocker has infuriated bosses at record label Geffen after disappearing without promoting the band’s long-awaited Chinese Democracy album, which was released last week - 15 years after the last Guns N’ Roses LP.

A source told Britain’s The Sun newspaper: "People have been trying to contact Axl for two months and he’s completely Awol.

- The Felice Brothers