751 replies to this topic

#1 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

So what if many of us agree that it was a down year for films...there's a lot more free time over the holidays and plenty out there to see, even if flicks like Little Children and Half Nelson never got wide screenings making them almost impossible to see before the deadline.

I've still enjoyed at least a dozen movies this year....enough to rate them at least 7.5 out of 10, which, like last year, is what I suggest voters limit their lists to. In other words, fight the urge to fill out a top 10 or 20 with films you thought were mediocre. Such selections bias the final list with films most widely seen, even more so then is already the case. So list your top 20...10...5...or even one movie.

I will edit this post later this week with notes on scoring and deadline (most likely end of January). Also, looking for feedback on this: I'm figuring a lot of SOMBIES may have only seen just a few movies this year. Most of these peeps probably won't vote and of the ones that do, some might have seen only a few but none that they thought was a great movie. So rather than weigted voting, it might make sense to list any movie you've seen that is at least a 7.5, but if, for example, you saw only three movies, and they were all 7.5's, don't list them as #1, #2 and #3...but rather, #8, #9 and #10 (and have no films listed as #'s 1-7). Is this crazy talk? Would people even do this? Probably not...but it would make for a more accurate list.

Deadline is February 18th.

Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#2 caley

caley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1577 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

I'm in for this. I always get swept up in the end of the year Oscar buzz and this year is no exception, I'm supposed to be participating in a Best of the 1980s poll right now, but have only watched one 80s flick (Fitzcarraldo) in the last month and 7 from 2006. Alphabetical List of Everything I've Seen From 2006 (Including duds) Art School Confidential Babel Click The Da Vinci Code Fearless Flags of Our Fathers The Fountain Marie-Antoinette Mission: Impossible III Monster House Nacho Libre Pirates of the Carribean II: Dead Man's Chest A Praire Home Companion The Protector Scary Movie 4 Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby X-Men: The Last Stand Also, can I get a ruling on "Takeshis' "? IMDB lists it as a 2005 but it hasn't yet had a US release and its UK release is supposed to be this month.

"'I Love My Dad' is the only one that slightly annoys me, maybe because I never loved my dad."

-WavesWithin

Bob-s-Burgers-bobs-burgers-18293103-1280

#3 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

People need to see the following movies Rocky VI Tenacious D in The Pick Of Destiny movies that Hugh Jackman was in this year (the prestige, the fountain, X-men 3) Brick (if this counts as 2006) Thank You For Smoking Little Miss Sunshine movies that sucked really badly art school confidential and obviously, I'm available to blurb anything.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:16 PM

As always, looking forward to this. Although, i think this was somewhat of a lackluster year. There are only 4-6 films (at the most) that i feel passionate about.

#5 Andyroo

Andyroo

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2317 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:23 PM

I haven't seen a lot of great films this year, though Brick, Borat, and Stranger Than Fiction are all likely to be near the top of my list.

#6 helmet52

helmet52

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

I have a really bad feeling that Borat is going to win this thing. <_<

#7 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

What would the Melvins say?

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:31 PM

TENACIOUS D
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

Alright, my friends. It's time for another solid little rock jam

#8 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

Brick (if this counts as 2006)

Thank god it counts.
Someone Still Loves You Pants McJickson

#9 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

very pleased at the Brick love so far. Should place respectably.

And yeah, Borat is the Sufjan/Radiohead/Godfather of this thing. Ain't nobody got a chance at taking it down.
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#10 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

Any other year, Thank You For Smoking or Brick would be my #1, unfortunately for them, they happened to come out the same year as a Rocky movie.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

I can't tell if Thank You For Smoking was good or not, mostly because at the end of the film I couldn't tell whether or not we were supposed to think that Nick Nayler was just lying corporate scum, or if there was some sort of deeper, underlying message.
Posted Image

Damo Suzuki: So, um, yeah. Getting older isn't as bad as it sounds. Better than being young & poor (DjDrake) or young & slutty (SG) or young, poor and slutty (Paves); am I right?

#12 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:50 PM

I can't tell if Thank You For Smoking was good or not, mostly because at the end of the film I couldn't tell whether or not we were supposed to think that Nick Nayler was just lying corporate scum, or if there was some sort of deeper, underlying message.

That thing was all surface, no subtext. Well made after-school special.

#13 Pavement Ist Rad

Pavement Ist Rad

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13222 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

The editing was so in-your-face and annoying. Hopefully dude's next movie won't look so messy.
Posted Image

#14 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

I really liked it, entertaining look at the world of argument, fantastic cast too. The kidnapping plot was really tacked on though, and the movie definitely still had it's flaws, regardless, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The editing was so in-your-face and annoying.

Yeah, this is a good call. Really messy film.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

Posted Image

Please consider this a mandatory rental. Enjoy.

#16 Undercooked Sausage

Undercooked Sausage

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13801 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:09 PM

LOL IM BUMPING IT IN MY NETFLIX QUEUE RIGHT NOW.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Soundscape

Soundscape

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:24 PM

I couldn't care less what the critics or others think, this was the best movie I saw in 2006.

Posted Image

like THE JACKET last year...NEVER BEEN THAWED as well..it may just take more time...

Best Comedy:

Posted Image

#18 Slackmo

Slackmo

devil's avocado

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13999 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

I couldn't care less what the critics or others think, this was the best movie I saw in 2006.

Posted Image

like THE JACKET last year...NEVER BEEN THAWED as well..it may just take more time...

Best Comedy:

Posted Image

Looking forward to seeing the Gondry flick. (Though reference to "The Jacket" makes me nervous.)

What's the title of the second one?

#19 The Good Dr Bill

The Good Dr Bill

Maybe. Maybe Not. Maybe Fuck Yourself.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11509 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

SOS (LOL, shipwreck) was def. the biggest disappointment of the year
what does he file at the hall of records? a declaration of tortoise intent

#20 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

Please consider this a mandatory rental. Enjoy.

Pretty damn good, in the tradition of Peckinpah, and penned by Nick Cave to boot. Should have been a shoo-in for top 5...but it just didn't sit that well with me, and I don't know if I even know how to explain it...I don't know if it was just that the violence was hard to stomach or what it was (cue the chorus: Who are you and what have you done with the Dogville and Old Boy loving Elemeno)...still, it's a film I'd recommend here...just not to my folks. :D

I have a really bad feeling that Borat is going to win this thing. <_<

Yikes- I hope not. It's top 5, I suspect...but #1 would be diabolical.

Also, can I get a ruling on "Takeshis' "? IMDB lists it as a 2005 but it hasn't yet had a US release and its UK release is supposed to be this month.

I really don't know. Anyone see it last year?
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!