1845 replies to this topic

#1 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:28 PM

So i'm not sure if this has been done before (besides the "Electronic Music of 2006" thread that is), but i'm willing to give it a go. I mean, we have a metal/ambient/noise thread, but no thread dedicated specifically to electronic music. Given that the Ambient nook is pretty much my home here at SOMB, i figured there was some room to squeeze in a second hangout. So i say let's give it a go. Even if that means some overlap with the ambient thread, this is our place to talk about electronic(a)/techno/dubstep or what have you.

I'll start off the festivities with one of my early favs from 2007:

Posted Image
Pantha du Prince - This Bliss (Dial, 2007)

1. Asha
2. Saturn Strobe
3. Walden 2
4. Moonstruck
5. Eisbaden
6. Urlichten
7. White Out
8. Florac
9. Steiner im Flug
10. Seeds of Sleep

http://www.mediafire.com/?5n20ylmhho2

Awesome techno/house with a bit of minimalist as well. Great atmosphere throughout, especially on standouts "Saturn Strobe" and "Steiner im Flug."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Make that two of my early favs from this year (here's the Bracken i posted a little while back):

Posted Image
Bracken - We Know About The Need (Anticon, 2007)

1. Of Athroll Slains
2. Heathens
3. (Int)
4. Fight Or Flight
5. Safe Safe Safe
6. Music For Adverts
7. Evil Teeth
8. Four Thousand Style
9. La Monte Lament
10. Many Horses
11. Back On The Calder Line

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bgb2ea

I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#2 Burz

Burz

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1770 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image
Pantha du Prince - This Bliss (Dial, 2007)

Oh cool, I had no idea he had a new one coming. Diamond Daze was one of my favorites from 2004. Thanks for this.

#3 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

As soon as I saw this thread, I came in with the intention of posting the Pantha du Prince. Really great album and definitely my favourite of 07 so far.

#4 Twilight

Twilight

• Sombie
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

There's a new Jesse Somfay EP coming out that I'm excited about...

#5 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

diamond daze had maybe three songs i liked but i remember damo being all bout it bout it
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#6 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

The Pantha album is definitely a keeper. Although i almost hesitate to call it "minimal" techno at all, it is far more atmospheric than most albums in that genre. Also, I have yet to check out his earlier stuff. I'd do that right now, except there is a surprising wealth of quality electronic titles leaking right now. I'll up a few more in a bit.

#7 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

that bracken album doesn't sound too much like dance music to me.

#8 Bobzilla

Bobzilla

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1746 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

I was going to say the same thing. If your intent was to present a forum for discussion of more uptempo or danceable form of electronica separate from the ambient electronica of the other thread, I would not have put Bracken in here. That said, I do love it. It's like a poppier, more uptempo and yet glitchier version of Hood, which is a very good thing, just not a "electronic(a)/techno/dubstep" thing.
Last
=====================================================================
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man

#9 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

i am extremely interested in finding a good mainstream dance mix.

#10 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:59 PM

I was going to say the same thing. If your intent was to present a forum for discussion of more uptempo or danceable form of electronica separate from the ambient electronica of the other thread, I would not have put Bracken in here. That said, I do love it. It's like a poppier, more uptempo and yet glitchier version of Hood, which is a very good thing, just not a "electronic(a)/techno/dubstep" thing.

Oh, i guess i kinda botched my intention. Although i used the word "dance" in the title of the thread, i simply meant for a place to talk about electronic music, assuming that the majority of it would be upbeat enough to be considered danceable. That being said, there are all sorts of different types of electronic music, and i am interested in hearing about all of them.

In that way, Bracken very much has a place in this thread. For one thing, it is classifiable as both electronic and dubstep, or at the very least strongly influenced by both. Besides, it is poppy and very much danceable (then again, i sometimes think i could find a way to dance to anything, so i guess part of the fault is mine.) In regards to the Ambient nook, there is no way that Bracken would fit in there. So rather than slot it into a thread of its own (or the free-for-all grabbag which is the 2006 Fish thread,) i figured i could mention it here. Besides, it has "Heathens." Enough said.

So there you have it, the disclaimer for this thread that probably should have come at the beginning of the thread, but alas. If it is electronic, it has a place here. Hell, it doesn't even need to be all that danceble (hence the "lonely" end of the dance floor.) ;) My love for the genre will prevent me from scoffing at anything, i promise. I have a dream, and that dream involves me never leaving the ambient nook and this thread. Well, perhaps only on rare occasions (i gotta be in the know for when Neon Bible leaks after all.) :D

#11 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:23 PM

And now back to the music. There shouldn't be any objections to this next one (well, i'm sure some will point out that this could fit into the ambient thread, but fuck it, a little overlap is not gonna kill anyone.)

Posted Image
Denzel + Huhn - Paraport (City Center Offices, 2007)

1. Kleiner Bruder
2. July
3. Targo
4. Korre
5. Karlsruhe
6. Dorian
7. Cauka
8. NDR
9. Paraport
10. New Kerwe
11. Lope
12. Senet
13. Erinnye
14. Treibel
15. Offane

Amazing ambient/minimal electronic stuff. There is a lot going on in this one. Some tracks will come on strong with a heavy pulsating beat (such as Korre,) only to blend into a dicey electronic ambience akin to Fennesz's Venice (see: Karlruhe.) Highly recommended for electronic and ambient fans alike.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9eqjt3q1zwj

#12 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Weird internet moment where you just read about something, open a thread, and it's there. That would be Denzel + Huhn on Boomkat. Thanks.

#13 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:38 PM

Looking forward to sampling this album, as well as watching this thread grow. My interest in elecronica outside of Ambient has grown recently after Orchestra of Bubbles, and most recently Portable-Version, which Breugel turned me onto (it's great). cheers!

#14 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

I have two mixes that I was going to post in the blog mix thread but maybe i will put them in both. ones a progressive trance mix and the others a funky/filter house mix. I will post them later today.

#15 izzy

izzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Denzel + Huhn. Now that my friends is cover art. Thanks for this.
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you."

#16 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

I have two mixes that I was going to post in the blog mix thread but maybe i will put them in both. ones a progressive trance mix and the others a funky/filter house mix. I will post them later today.

you are my hero. also, i got my mixer and records at my place now so we really need to get together this week (i'll be out of town this weekend)

#17 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

Just listened to Pantha Du Prince this afternoon while everyone is watching the Bears. You can get lost in this album, very deep and gorgeous. It's the first one this year I feel attached to.

#18 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:06 PM

Just listened to Pantha Du Prince this afternoon while everyone is watching the Bears. You can get lost in this album, very deep and gorgeous. It's the first one this year I feel attached to.

The Denzel + Huhn wasn't doing much for me, so I downloaded this one as well and like it much much more.

#19 vurt

vurt

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1844 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

The Pantha du Prince is amazing. Perfect marriage of beat and melody. I've been listening to it over and over again, just can't get enough.

#20 avec

avec

forever alien

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5859 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

Perfect marriage of beat and melody.

you hit the nail on the head with that one. neither overpower the other, and it's beautiful that way really.