Yeah, not so hot on this.

#22 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:28 PM

The Pantha du Prince is amazing. Perfect marriage of beat and melody. I've been listening to it over and over again, just can't get enough.

Because of all the raves, I plan on listening to this one in the car sloshing through the muck on my way to work tomorrow morning. Thanks for the recommendation(s)!

#23 boobs

boobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URkRhFh8pq0

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

i like how the pantha album seems to exist entirely in its own world. its keeping me from loving it, though.
The one who put the satin on your panties.

#24 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

I've yet to decide whether i like the D+H or PdP album better. I suppose it's unfair to hold the two up side by side given that they are doing completely different things. Either way, i'm enjoying both very much.
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#25 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

honestly i think it would make more sense to do two seperate threads, one for dance and one for 'electronic listening music' even if there is some overlap; i mean, its just kind of silly to conflate the two. Its like calling modern R&B 'electronica' (insert jamie lidell rofl here)

#26 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

honestly i think it would make more sense to do two seperate threads, one for dance and one for 'electronic listening music' even if there is some overlap; i mean, its just kind of silly to conflate the two.

While the logician in me concurs with this statement in reality many of my favourite artists making music with electronics are striving for congruent conflation. Most of the stuff that really resonates with me is equal parts body and mind. Pantha du Prince is a case in point.

Good thread. I shall endeavor to contribute over the coming months.
Posted Image

#27 Woodland Runner

Woodland Runner

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

honestly i think it would make more sense to do two seperate threads, one for dance and one for 'electronic listening music' even if there is some overlap; i mean, its just kind of silly to conflate the two. Its like calling modern R&B 'electronica'

(insert jamie lidell rofl here)

I'm not going to stop you if you wish to start a new thread for precisions sake. You create it, i'll support it. However, i'm with Bruegel on this one: i think that many of the artists do strive for some kind of blurring between "dance" and "electronic music." Plus, most electronic artists who clearly do not make dance music lean more towards ambient. In which case, the creation of another thread would involve so much overlap that it seems counterproductive. Using ambient as an example, thats kind of like dividing that thread up into subcategories of electronic ambient, post-classical ambient, minimalist ambient, etc. While such division may be categorically correct, it would hardly be efficient having to wade through thousands of threads trying to find that one "correct" thread.

Anyhow, that was my reasoning when choosing to create this thread. Besides, the SOMB had gone so long without such a thread, i wasn't even sure if an electronic music thread would be supported. So far, it seems the answer to that is a resounding "yes."
I don't even get your t-shirts pun.

#28 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

Have you ever seen Plaid live? The two definitely overlap more often than you'd think...

#29 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:10 AM

For those of you who missed the mary anne hobbs show broadcast on radio 1 on 05/01 here is a rip:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ax8ncq
If you can put up with MAH fawning like a puppy and generally being a bit annoying this is well worth a listen and not just because it includes a truly amazing 45min benga/skream mix to celebrate the first anniversary of the Dubstep Warz show. I would recommend this mix to the uninitiated and unconvinced.....not just to dubstep fans.

Loads of other highlights on the show too.....the Chevron and Plastician tunes (cant wait for their albums to drop this year), Anders Ilar's 'PROB' and the new Arsenic are standouts but top of the tree for me is 'Bury da Bwoy' from Digital Mystikz.......can't get enough of that galloping beat. Also, is it just me or does the Tech N9ne tune stick out like the sorest thumb in history. To be honest though it would probably stick out most places. The show is rounded of with a special treat...new tune from Barry Lynn a.k.a Boxcutter.....more of the murky, noir brilliance we have come to expect.

Track listing
Oris Jay – ‘Said The Kane’ (dubplate)
Tinchy Stryder – ‘Not Like Me’ (Takeover Entertainment)
Anders Ilar – ‘Pink Red Orange Black’ from ‘Wax Sessions III’ album (Sonar)
Jean Paul Bondy ft Blood Of Abraham – ‘Something Is Not Right’ Robag Wruhmes Fukkeldibobb remake (Compost)
Arsenic – ‘Heroin’ (Dubplate)

The Dubplate
Surgeon – ‘Who’s Bad Hands Are These’ DisinVectant Dislocated Finger Refix (dubplate)

Chevron – ‘Soul Cellar’ (Planet Mu)
Digital Mystikz – ‘Bury Da Bwoy’ (DMZ)

Benga and Skream: Interview and Mix
Skream - 'Nemesis' (Dub)
Skream - 'Losin Control' (Dub)
Mark Ashken - 'Roots Dyed Dark' (Skream Mix) (White)
Benga - 'Crunked Up' (Tempa)
Benga Vs Coki - 'WW7' (Dub)
Skream - 'Chestboxing' (Tempa)
Benga - 'Skunktip' (Skream mix) (Tempa)
Benga - 'The Germ' (White)
Benga - 'Electric' (White)
Skream - 'Lemon' (White)
Mala - 'Lean Forward' (DMZ)
Benga - 'Musik Box' (White)
Loefah - 'Natural Charge' (White)
Skream - 'Make Me' (Tempa)
Skream - 'Assumptions Rmx' (Bingo)
Benga - 'Flamez' (Big Apple)
Magnetikman - 'Everything Cool' (Dub)
Hijak - 'Babylon Timewarp' (Deepmedi)
Coki - 'Seek Knowledge' (Dub)
Skream - 'Acid' (Dub)
Hijak - 'Tears' (Dub)

03:00
Plastician – ‘Badbwoy’ from ‘Beg To Differ’ album (Terrorhythm)
Tech N9ne – ‘Welcome To The Midwest’ from ‘Everready’ album (Strange Music)
Ill Skillz and Concorde Dawn – ‘Watch Me Now’ Dom and Roland remix (Ill Skillz)

The Download
Mothboy ft MC Dermo – ‘Dons Players Pimps’ (Acroplane)

Teleseen – ‘Burdens’ from ‘War’ album (Percetps)
Barry Lynn – ‘Glyphic’ (dubplate)

On a completely different note, please can the first person who comes across Joakim's 'antwerp rework' of Cajuan's 'Raven' hook me up with a download link? Heard it when I was out and about this weekend and it really sank in. Ill buy it when I get the chance but I need an MP3 to tide me over until I can get back to civilization.
Posted Image

#30 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

i donno i don't really like this sort of ambient armchair 'pretty' music very much, like instrumental bleeps doesn't do it for me unless it feels like its moving somewhere. I think that we should have a system, at the very least, of marking whether a y'all send the thing is DAHNCE or BOARDS OF CANADAESQUE (still have soft spot for ulrich schnauss)

#31 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:56 AM

Most of the stuff that really resonates with me is equal parts body and mind.

IBM. Intelligent Body Music. I make joke!

#32 RabbiSchmoiley

RabbiSchmoiley

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1441 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:00 AM

Most of the stuff that really resonates with me is equal parts body and mind.

IBM. Intelligent Body Music. I make joke!

IBM. Intense bowel movement. I make crap!

Sorry... seriously, I like the D&H. Nice sounds... it reminds me of something, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

#33 undo

undo

future thug

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8962 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

honestly i think it would make more sense to do two seperate threads, one for dance and one for 'electronic listening music' even if there is some overlap; i mean, its just kind of silly to conflate the two. Its like calling modern R&B 'electronica'

So this should be the Kompakt/Playhouse/Ghostly thread? Are we saying that if Plaid or The Chemical Brothers released new music, that it doesn't belong in here?

I just don't know if the board can really support more than two rolling electronic music threads. We've already got the ambient thread and now this.

#34 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

What did I tell you guys about the rolling thread syndrome? Ah, I'm not gonna fight it anymore.

#35 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:29 AM

Has anyone ever thought about the implications of calling one form of electronic music intelligent over another? I think in the mid-90's when this stuff was gaining popularity, too many nerds who didnt know how to dance jumped on it like it was the second coming (which in many ways it was the rebirth of certain kraut/eno tendencies.) Since the emphasis was on creativity (like 4/4 isnt creative, right?) instead of the motion of the dance floor a split was made between dumb club music VS idm. Dont get me wrong I love me some aphex twin, autechre, and boards of canada just as much as the next person, but are they any more creative than artists such as daft punk, stardust(alan braxe), or armend van helden? IMO, its all about what aspects of the music push buttons in your CNS.

#36 boobs

boobs

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10251 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

So this should be the Kompakt/Playhouse/Ghostly thread? Are we saying that if Plaid or The Chemical Brothers released new music, that it doesn't belong in here?

I just don't know if the board can really support more than two rolling electronic music threads. We've already got the ambient thread and now this.

:huh: but chem bros are dahnce too

i'm jus saying keep the electro-easy-listening seperate from shit i would actually listen to at a club and dance too.

#37 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

IMO, its all about what aspects of the music push buttons in your CNS.

Great way to say it. Right, I don't think putting yourself in one or the other is a wise choice.

#38 Bruegel

Bruegel

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1755 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

please can the first person who comes across Joakim's 'antwerp rework' of Cajuan's 'Raven' hook me up with a download link? Heard it when I was out and about this weekend and it really sank in. Ill buy it when I get the chance but I need an MP3 to tide me over until I can get back to civilization.

Still no luck finding the Joakim remix of Raven but here is Caujan’s own rave mix. Nice as it is, I still want Joakim’s vastly superior interpretation. So keep ‘em peeled.
Cajuan – Raven (Cajuan’s Metro Rave Mix)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/f18ic7

Im still catching up on the stuff I missed last year and my current obsession is The Wee DJ’s (aka Dave Being) Fear and Lothian. Why this album was released in the middle of summer is beyond me but I’m glad that I didn’t get round to it until deepest greyest winter. If you like your beats dark and your electro with extra menace then this is for you. It’s simultaneously sharp and murky and if, as I hope, there is a mechanised Atlantis lurking somewhere of the coast of Scotland Im sure this shit dominates their charts……

The Wee Dj’s – Fear and Lothian

Posted Image

Tracklisting
1 Wee DJs, The Breathe (6:12)
2 Wee DJs, The 080 (2:36)
3 Wee DJs, The Money (4:23)
4 Wee DJs, The Wheemyth (4:15)
5 Adriana Fiorenza 430 (The Wee DJ's Remix) (5:49)
6 Wee DJs, The Annoy (4:46)
7 Wee DJs, The Derhar (4:21)
8 Wee DJs, The Shammy (5:55)
9 Wee DJs, The Base (4:05)
10 Wee DJs, The Comby (2:56)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2toibr

PS. Mr T. Silver…I forgot to reply to you on slsk but this is what I would have recommended

PPS. Deej - you can dance your ass off to this but its equally good crack smoking music so im not sure where it fits into your dance or boards of canada marking scheme
Posted Image

#39 BGwaves

BGwaves

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

well im listening to Cichlisuite right now and realizing that its SO good and that it does have some dance floor tendencies, but still maintains that pointilist autechre sound. My question was meant to be taken both ways, as a critique on the term idm and as a critique on the inability for most ravers/dance fans to enjoy non-dance electronic music. Its idm's fault for being to pretentious and its raves fault for being too commercialized. Althogh, they both could be considered commercialized at this point.

#40 6ome 9irl

6ome 9irl

Freaky styley

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7584 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Edit: sorry, meant to post in the blog mix thread