Photo

"Hewlett's daughter loved her father, and I think she loved me too for a little while"

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#1 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:46 AM

I think Thom Yorke said it best: "ah Grandaddy...they make wicked music".

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.c...></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.c.../v/2EtNtYEmmYk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Every Sunday morning I wake up
I see you by your dresser doing your make-up
Fluttering a Chinese fan in a Knoxville fashion
All last night you tossed and turned
Your body was hotter than the night Richmond burned
You say you had a bad nightmare about tractor trailers crashing
- The Felice Brothers

#2 _____________

din da da...

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13368 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

i loved early grandaddy, but even i have to admit they are one of the fugliest bands i ever laid eyes on...

#3 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

i loved early grandaddy, but even i have to admit they are one of the fugliest bands i ever laid eyes on...

With only 4 proper LP's, is there a late grandaddy? I'm hoping Lytle doesn't miss a beat. Otherwise, a band that ended way too soon.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#4 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:50 AM

With only 4 proper LP's, is there a late grandaddy? I'm hoping Lytle doesn't miss a beat. Otherwise, a band that ended way too soon.

Grandaddy's first to albums>>>>>>>>>>>>their last two.
Posted Image

#5 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

...but even i have to admit they are one of the fugliest bands i ever laid eyes on...

The Shins seem to have taken that mantle...well, them or Torg.

Grandaddy is awesome. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. That was some nice "garage" rock in that clip.

#6 vamos

vamos

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2018 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

yes i love grandaddy. i loved sumday equally or more than the first two, don't know where all the hate came from back then. OK With My Decay and on = AMAZING!

where do we gooo new?!!?

#7 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

I thought this thread was about me :(:( Regardless, this is my jaaaaaaaaaaaaayuhm.
I've got dials and knobs soft to the touch

#8 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

I'll never understand how anyone can love their first two albums and not Sumday.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#9 Miiilo

Miiilo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:14 PM

This was my favorite Grandaddy song, definitely.

What about Supergrass?
Posted Image

I think the dudes in Grandaddy look like just regular guys--it's kind of the Robert Schneider effect.

#10 The Luscious Phil

The Luscious Phil

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:19 PM

I'll never understand how anyone can love their first two albums and not Sumday.

i think that while Sumday is pretty solid with a ton of great songs, there is no sense of adventure like there was on Sophtware Slump. Sophtware Slump felt like it could go anywhere, try anything, while Sumday you realized the band was just there to make great pop.
Posted Image

#11 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

i love the entire Grandaddy catalogue, but have to say that I sort of feel Sumday is one of their weaker efforts. Some of the unreleased tracks they have floating around are better than some of the Sumday material, in my opinion (IMO).

i think that while Sumday is pretty solid with a ton of great songs, there is no sense of adventure like there was on Sophtware Slump. Sophtware Slump felt like it could go anywhere, try anything, while Sumday you realized the band was just there to make great pop.

dead on.

i love Sumday to death. In fact, I will always have a place in my heart for many of thsoe songs, like "Saddest Vacant Lot..." which, the first time I heard it, I unexplainably started crying. There was no emotional relation to it. It was just a gorgeously beautiful song that made me sob a little.

But inspite of that, "Sumday" lacks that feeling of "where will this go?" and "whats next" that i experienced when i first heard "Sopftware Slump" and even "Western Freeway."

"Sumday" has exceptionally well crafted indie pop numbers all over it, but it lacks that punch and that feel that basically every other Grandaddy disc had.

#12 MaxpowerSupreme

MaxpowerSupreme

Lurker

• Sombie
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

As crappy as most of Sumday was, there are few better car songs than "Stray Dog And The Chocolate Shake".

Catchiest shit ever.
Posted Image

#13 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

Babyshambles.
- The Felice Brothers

#14 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

As crappy as most of Sumday was

now you;re just saying things to be controversial

there are few better car songs than "Stray Dog And The Chocolate Shake".

Catchiest shit ever.

yeah, it may be the catchiest song i have ever heard. that keyboard part is fucking infectious.

#15 Waylon

Waylon

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

yeah, it may be the catchiest song i have ever heard. that keyboard part is fucking infectious.

It's also pretty much the simplest and funnest thing to play. Basically a A scale down and up.

Still waiting for Slackmo to delete this thread.

#16 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:55 PM

While it's less challenging than their previous two, Sumday is awash in beautiful melodies and every bit as full of hooks, no to mention that the writing is on par if not better than Sophtware Slump.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#17 Hewletts Daughter

Hewletts Daughter

SING! CAPTAIN!

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9712 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

Hookier keyboard part.... "Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake" or "AM 180"?

#18 Seamus

Seamus

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5301 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

Hookier keyboard part....

"Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake" or "AM 180"?

"Stray Dog...", if only because it's a little less syncopated--in fact it's comically simple, but completely awesome none the less.

#19 Elemeno P.T.

Elemeno P.T.

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3950 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hookier keyboard part....

"Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake" or "AM 180"?

Both great, but A.M. 180.
Oskar, Oskar Oskar!

#20 Montana

Montana

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11536 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

i love Sumday to death. In fact, I will always have a place in my heart for many of thsoe songs, like "Saddest Vacant Lot..." which, the first time I heard it, I unexplainably started crying. There was no emotional relation to it. It was just a gorgeously beautiful song that made me sob a little.

Is there a song that capsulates the inner despair of suburbia better than that? I don't think so. It's like a still image from Janesville Wisconsin or Naperville Illinois reanimated by musical surgeons.

But inspite of that, "Sumday" lacks that feeling of "where will this go?" and "whats next" that i experienced when i first heard "Sopftware Slump" and even "Western Freeway."

True. It's not nearly as adventurous as those two records. It's much more tight and polished.

"Sumday" has exceptionally well crafted indie pop numbers all over it, but it lacks that punch and that feel that basically every other Grandaddy disc had.

Yep. And IMHO it also marks the last time that Jason's vocals didn't seem strained or worn out to me. He had an almost airy, carefree quality to them for those three albums. Now he sounds like he is singing in pain. Don't know if the drugs finally wore him out or what.....
- The Felice Brothers