57 replies to this topic

#1 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:53 AM

So all of the sudden "ching chong" is a slur. It started with Fatty McCrazy on The View doing a stereotypical Chinese voice. Asian groups went crazy. "SLUR!" they shouted. And Rosie apologized. Now NYU's Asian group went crazy because there was a band playing at a school event called The Ching Chong song. So the band changed their name.

Now, I always believed that a slur was a nickname for a group of people. In neither instance was some calling someone else "a ching chong." I'm not sure what the band's deal was, but Rosie was just imitating what people generally think Chinese sounds like. I'm wondering how on on earth is this different from me imitating a frenchman by goin "jelemepoo" in a French sounding voice or yelling "Achen Machen!" to imitate a German guy? These aren't hateful remarks in any of the cases. Rather THEY'RE JUST WHAT THE LANGUAGE SOUNDS LIKE TO SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T SPEAK IT.

Let me know if you think I'm wrong, but otherwise I'm going to keep on saying "ching chong," at least until all these Asians stop urinating in my soft drinks.
BAN ME IF I TALK TO MONTANA

#2 Rocks And Blows

Rocks And Blows

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:58 AM

first it was chink, then it was china men, now this, as a white guy I'm really fed up with showing other racial groups respect!

#3 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20691 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ching_chong
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#4 TJENZ

TJENZ

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10508 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

2008-01-15-coopdevil01_lg.jpg

#5 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:23 PM

first it was chink, then it was china men, now this, as a white guy I'm really fed up with showing other racial groups respect!

Well tell me how this is more offensive than someone saying "el ____-o" to pretend to be speaking Spanish or the speech of the Swedish chef on the muppets? In any of these cases it's just mild mockery of the speech matterns of the given language where "ching chong" is apparently a slur, even when not used as a noun (though an ethnic slur is by definition a noun).

Funny related story: I once had to inform a Chinese guy that "Chinaman/men" is an offensive term. He had been in the US all his life. He kept using it over and over, but had no idea that it was offensive.

#6 no magnets

no magnets

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Funny related story: I once had to inform a Chinese guy that "Chinaman/men" is an offensive term. He had been in the US all his life. He kept using it over and over, but had no idea that it was offensive.

dude... it's totally ok for someone to be offensive toward their own race.

#7 Freddie Freelance

Freddie Freelance

Dieu d'Or

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:39 PM

I remember using it as a slur back in the '70s, as well as Chink, Slant, Slope, Gook, Charlie, Jap & Chinaman for anyone from Asia. Other slurs I remember from my Childhood: Bohunk & Slav for all Eastern Europeans, Pommie, Tommy & Proddie for Brits, Dago, Guinea & Wop for Italians, Greaseball for anyone from the Northern edge of the Mediterranean, Fritz & Kraut for Germans, Flip for Filipinos, Frog for the French, Mick & Paddy for the Irish, Polack for the Polish, Cracker, White Trash & Peckerwood for Southerners, and innumerable ones for the Jews & Blacks.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S.
Posted Image

Should have stayed home and drank beer instead of going to work today.

Now Playing: Brahms, Symphony No 2; Giulini - Wiener

Heh heh, he said "Wiener"...

#8 bleach

bleach

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3302 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

shows what i know about being racist, i thought a charlie was a helicopter.
We go 0 to Dennehy in three seconds or less.

#9 yancy

yancy

Golden God

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20240 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

You suck at racism, peckerwood.

#10 Tracy Jacks

Tracy Jacks

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:57 PM

Are you suggesting it's OK to treat people from your own race differently than people from other races?

That's racist.

#11 biggie mcsmalls

biggie mcsmalls

ok

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13266 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:02 PM

Bohunk & Slav

Slav is not a slur at all.

A Slav is basically anyone from a place of Slavic origin, basically most Eastern Europeans.

Bohunk is pretty funny. The Slovak side of my family uses this term and "hunky" affectionatley, even though its origins are insulting and demeaning.

#12 Artem

Artem

Hipster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4603 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

when i studied in the states i learned that aparently "ruski" was a slur term for a russian person, with the cold war and all that. i found it strange, cos it's basically how you say "russian" in russian language.

#13 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

Yeah, except he didn't know it was offensive at all. Guy was a little clueless.

I remember using it as a slur back in the '70s, as well as Chink, Slant, Slope, Gook, Charlie, Jap & Chinaman for anyone from Asia.

The thing is, it hasn't been popularly used as a slur for a long time. The meaning of the word has evolved, much like "negro" has become offensive and "black" has become unoffensive.

#14 musicgurl

musicgurl

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

One of the ladies from that reality show on Bravo, "Real Housewives Of Orange County" used Ching Chong a few weeks ago. She was totally using it as a racial slur.
Elbow Deep In Chocolate Daily "Beauty is only a light switch away." - Chef Dale "And in the words of Albert Schweitzer...I fancy you." - Eddie Izzard "I haven't felt this devastated since Krakow was left standing with his bike, and Jordan Catalano pulled away with Angela." -- Janeane Garofalo

#15 norton

norton

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ching_chong

"Ching Chong Chinaman sitting on a fence
Trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents."

I remember this nursery ryhme from when I was little. Who knew I was a racist at age 3?

The sports teams for Pekin High School (down near Peoria) used to be called The Chinks. I guess the town was called Pekin because it's on the same lattitude as Peking. Seems entirely logical to call your team the Chinks. Now they're called The Dragons. Much better. I think their mascot is a Bruce Lee look alike. :lol:

#16 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5881 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

Well tell me how this is more offensive than someone saying "el ____-o" to pretend to be speaking Spanish?

It's not. Though that's pretty gay too.

Honestly, if the subject of the remark is offended, you can safely say it's offensive.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#17 pong

pong

Rockist

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9208 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

Edit: Fuck that post. Carry on.

#18 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

Well tell me how this is more offensive than someone saying "el ____-o" to pretend to be speaking Spanish?

It's not. Though that's pretty gay too.

Honestly, if the subject of the remark is offended, you can safely say it's offensive.

What if it isn't meant to offend? Rosie O'Donnell very clearly did not mean to offend or even mock anyone. She just was using a common joke substitute for East Asian languages to emphasize that the Danny DeVito incident was receiving a lot of publicity.

And how many people need to be offended? Is it offensive if just one person is offended by a nationally broadcasted remark?

#19 Duff.

Duff.

I'm a monsta, I'm a killa.

• Sombie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5881 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:37 PM

Intent only matters a little. We've all insulted people on accident. Part two of your inquiry is the great question. But I do think people tend to be insulted by this sorta thing.

No, it'll be stupid, and we're already doing something stupid.
murderfbanner.gif

#20 scarymuppet

scarymuppet

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 4178 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

Do you mean language mocking in general? I'd beg to differ. I also beg to differ about intent. A remark is certainly a lot more offensive if there is malice behind it. If it only mattered a little, there would be little difference between a naive elderly person saying "negro" because they still think it's the proper term and someone using the word in a hope to offend someone.