622 replies to this topic

#621 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

Just thinking out loud that this hasn't been a very good year so far. Can't even muster up a top 5.

"Killer of Sheep" was outstanding, but given that its a 70s reissue it probably doesn't even count.

Haven't seen "The Lives of Others" yet, but i'm expecting good things.

I could fill the 20-11 section with about fifteen films I think but aside from the above, London To Brighton, and This Is England I'm struggling to find films that would make last years top ten. Hot Fuzz I would have placed in my top 15 for last year so that's going to be a top ten this year unless things pick up.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.

#622 worrywort

worrywort

Hipster

• Sombie
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

Hey Mitchell, if you've seen it, how's the Joe Strummer doc fairing in your '07 list?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#623 Mitchell

Mitchell

dirty old man

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20698 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

^ Top 20 at the moment A sequel to the Oscar-winning The Queen is in the pipeline, but don't expect Helen Mirren to step back into Her Majesty's shoes. The movie will focus instead on Tony Blair and his relationship with Bill Clinton and George Bush. Peter Morgan, who penned the Stephen Frears-directed drama, has begun work on a follow-up that will describe the special relationship between the US and the UK. The film will focus on Blair's reaction when the US presidency was handed over from Clinton, a Democrat who had a natural political affinity with the Labour PM, to the Republican and conservative Bush. "Peter sees this as a pivotal moment when the special relationship between Britain and America changed," producer Andy Harries told Variety. The as-yet untitled project will be the third movie Morgan has written about the former British leader, following 2003's The Deal, the Channel 4 feature on his battle with Gordon Brown for the Labour party's leadership, and last year's The Queen. It is expected that Michael Sheen, who portrayed Blair in the two previous movies, will reprise the role. It is as yet unclear whether Frears, who directed both films, will join Sheen and Morgan on this project. "Peter always hoped to do a trilogy to mark the Blair years that we've all lived through, but it's been difficult to find the right point at which to look at Blair in power," said Harries. According to the producer, Morgan first considered making a movie about the run-up to the Iraq war, when Blair wholeheartedly backed the US president's invasion plans, but ended up deciding that the roots of those events lay in Blair's difficult adjustment to the transition from Clinton to Bush a few years earlier. Morgan is currently researching the project and is expected to put pen to paper by the end of this year. The screenwriter recently adapted the hit 2003 TV series State of Play for Hollywood, with Brad Pitt reprising John Simm's part as the newspaper reporter investigating the death of a politician's mistress. He also completed a draft of the adaptation of John le Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
Nice bowl of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall.