2013 Mixtapes & Ask the Critic
Jim and Greg bid a final farewell to 2013 with Mixtapes featuring their favorite songs of the year. And they take questions from listeners during the“Ask the Critic”segment.Subscribe via iTunesDownload This Episode
Ask the Critic
In the New Year Jim and Greg resolve to answer more of your questions starting with Pete who asks,“How do you tell the difference between and album that's bad, and one that just isn't made for you?”Lee on Facebook adds,“Can you fairly review an artist you may think sucks. (This is meant as a serious question).” To make a long story short…yes (if you're a good critic). See Greg's Yanni reporting below.
Thomas in Maine leaves a voicemail asking about the best psychedelic bands of 2013. Greg recommends Wooden Shjips, Darkside, The Warlocks and Besnard Lakes.
Jonathan asks on Facebook,“Why such a preference for the underground?” Jim doesn't think they really have such a preference, especially now that underground music is so accessible online. But Greg admits that mainstream, major label acts are expected to appeal to as large a population as possible, and that often means buffing out the good edges.
"Chili Mac Klein" also posts: "How awkward is it to have to meet with a musician after you have slammed his/her work in the past?" Greg describes an interesting conversation with Neil Young in which he asks the singer why he kept doing this. But, for the most part, artists are good sports, especially if a critic does his or her homework and gives critiques with confidence.
The Best Songs of 2013 - Mixtapes
We‘ve said goodbye to 2013, and now we want to salute the tunes that wowed us. There’s no better way than with a personal mixtape from Jim and Greg to you.
- B.B. King, Ask Me No Questions, Indianola Mississippi Seeds, MCA, 1970
- Yanni, Santorini, Yanni Live at the Acropolis, Private Music, 1994
- Darkside, Paper Trails, Psychic, Matador/Other People, 2013
- The Besnard Lakes, And Her Eyes Were Painted Gold, Until in Excess Imperceptible UFO, Jagjaguwar, 2013
- Neil Young, F*!#in' Up, Ragged Glory, Reprise, 1990
- Lorde, Royals, Pure Heroine, Universal, 2013
- Ylvis, The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?), The Fox (Single), Parlophone, 2013
- Savages, Husbands, Silence Yourself, Matador, 2013
- B. Schoolio/Robin Thicke, Blurred Lines (ft. Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids), N/A, freely available on YouTube, 2013
- Daft Punk, Get Lucky, Random Access Memories, Daft Life, 2013
- Badfinger, Baby Blue, Straight Up, Apple, 1971
- Justin Timberlake, Take Back the Night, The 20/20 Experience—2 of 2, RCA, 2013
- Neko Case, Night Still Comes, The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I Fight, The More I Love You, Anti, 2013
- Oblivians, Call the Police, Desperation, In the Red, 2013
- Palma Violets, Best of Friends, 180, Rough Trade US, 2013
- Sam Phillips, Things I Shouldn't Have Told You, Push Any Button, Littlebox, 2013
- Guards, Not Supposed To, In Guards We Trust, Black Bell Records, 2013
- Eleanor Friedberger, I Am the Past, Personal Record, Merge, 2013
- Rustie, Terra Star, Terra Star (Single), LuckyMe, 2013
- Lou Reed, New York Telephone Conversation, Transformer, RCA, 1972
- Bubble Puppy, Hot Smoke & Sassafras, A Gathering of Promises, International Artists, 1968
- Sleep, Dopesmoker, Dopesmoker, Tee Pee Records, 2003
- Van Halen, Eruption, Van Halen, Warner Bros., 1978
- Van Halen, I'm the One, Van Halen, Warner Bros., 1978
- Gnarls Barkley, Run (I'm A Natural Disaster), The Odd Couple, Atlantic-Downtown, 2008