Buried Treasures & Opinions on Bob Seger
While the charts are dominated by old standards like Barbra Streisand and Tony Bennett, there are a ton of exciting, new and lesser-known acts that deserve your attention. Jim and Greg bring you Buried Treasures. Later they review the 17th release from Detroit rocker Bob Seger.Subscribe via iTunesDownload This Episode
Remember when the recording industry was upset that you could record your music and share it via cassette? Then that technology transitioned to burning CDs. And now some car navigational systems allow drivers to record music from personal CDs in addition to calculating routes, playing DVD's, etc. Well the Alliance of Artists and Recording Companies continues to dislike this practice and has launched a suit against General Motors and the Ford Motor Company. Ford, for one, is hoping that the precedent established by the Audio Home Recording Act (Congress' compromise between the record industry and CD burners) will throw this one out of court. But it will be interesting to see how this battle of the Big Guns pans out.
Jim and Greg remember electronic music pioneer Mark Bell who died this week at age 43. Bell first came to prominence as a member of the English group LFO (no, not this LFO). But it's his work with Bjork on albums like Homogenic that we'll really miss.
Fall is traditionally the busiest time of year for new music releases, which makes it hard to know what's worth your time and what's worth a pass. Thankfully, Jim and Greg have rummaged through their records and are ready to share the albums they think deserve to be hits.
Bob Seger Ride Out
When you hear the name Bob Seger, it's fair to picture your kooky aunt dancing to“Night Moves”at the last family BBQ. But, Jim and Greg say there's more to this Detroit rocker. Now with his 17th album, this elder statesmen is having a real impact in terms of influencing sounds for his neighbors to the south in Nashville. Think Zak Brown and Travis Tritt. So, what do we hear on Ride Out? In addition to some noteworthy covers of songs by Steve Earle, Woody Guthrie and John Hiatt, he really lets his personality shine through on his own material. But, while this artist deserves the respect of you youngins, this isn't a must-own according to Jim and Greg. They say Try It.
- Tyrannosaurus Rex, Mustang Ford, My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair…But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows, Regal Zonophone, 1968
- LFO, LFO, LFO (Single), Warp Records, 1990
- Bjork, Jòga, Homogenic, One Little Indian, 1997
- Liam Bailey, On My Mind, Definitely Now, Flying Buddha, 2014
- Ex Hex, Don't Wanna Lose, Rips, Merge, 2014
- Traffic, Hidden Treasure, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, Island, 1971
- Twin Peaks, Strawberry Smoothie, Wild Onion, Grand Jury, 2014
- Miss Shevaughn & Yuma Wray, Blue Dream, Lean into the Wind, Seven Dead Arson Records, 2014
- Martin Carr, St. Peter in Chains, The Breaks, Tapeterecords, 2014
- Say Hi, Critters, Endless Wonder, Barsuk Records, 2014
- The Gotobeds, Fast Trash, Poor People Are Revolting, 12XU Records, 2014
- Bruno Mars, Treasure, Unorthodox Jukebox, Atlantic, 2014
- The Rentals, Thought of Sound, Lost in Alphaville, Polyvinyl Records, 2014
- Syd Arthur, Sinkhole, Sound Mirror, Harvest Records, 2014
- Sonny Knight & The Lakers, Juicy Lucy, I'm Still Here, Secret Stash Records, 2014
- Bob Seger, Detroit Made, Ride Out, Capitol, 2014
- Bob Seger, Adam and Eve, Ride Out, Capitol, 2014
- Bonobo, Flashlight, Flashlight EP, Ninja Tune, 2014
- The Beatles, Anytime at All, Something New, Capitol, 1964
- Jungle, The Heat, Jungle, XL Recordings, 2014
- Weezer, I. The Waste Land, Everything Will Be Alright in the End, Republic, 2014
- The Rolling Stones, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sticky Fingers, Atlantic, 1971
hollywoodreporter.com Ford Vs. The Music Industry bbc.com Mark Bell R.I.P. sonnyknight.com Sonny Knight & The Lakers tumblr.com Liam Bailey missshevaughnyumawray.com Miss Shevaughn & Yuma Wray sayhitoyourmom.com Say Hi exhexband.com Ex Hex tumblr.com Martin Carr bandcamp.com Gotobeds sydarthur.co.uk Syd Arthur bobseger.com Bob Seger's Ride Out chicagotribune.com Greg's Bob Seger Review